Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I heard there was going to be a film about Thermopylae, but that's totally not what I expected!

I'll go with an open mind, 'cos I liked Sin City, but I expect the Classicist in me to be irritated by it!
    i really want to see it too.
    Has anyone seen it yet? I'm going this afternoon. Apparently it's pretty close to Herodotus' account in most cases (not necessarily "historically accurate - who can say how accurate Herodotus was? I'm nit-picking).
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I have it on DVD but it's such poor quality I'm not going to spoil it.
    Weekender Offender 
    From the bit of trailer i have seen, there's quite a bit of muscle in it :D
    Tis fucking ace! :thumb:

Lots of action, bit of gallows humour, amazing (and I mean amazing) fight sequences. It's not a deep philosophical movie about the horrors of war. It's just a no-nonsense-beginning-to-end-fight-filled-big-balled-head-chopping-beard-growing stunner of a film. I'd totally go see it again :D
    It's great. Big fuck off epic film :thumb:
    I heartily approved.
    My boyfriend watched a really good copy at his mate's house and he loved it. He's watched it twice now. He spent ages recalling it all to me and then said I would hate it as there is too much violence and suspence (my nerves can't take anything more than action adventure!)
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    My boyfriend watched a really good copy at his mate's house and he loved it. He's watched it twice now. He spent ages recalling it all to me and then said I would hate it as there is too much violence and suspence (my nerves can't take anything more than action adventure!)

Pffft. I hate gore and violence and I managed to sit through it at the cinema. There are battle scenes but it really isn't so bad :) Go watch it!
    I really enjoyed it. Very high camp, but good fun regardless. And at least the storyline stuck true to history (if you ignore the elephants, etc.)...
    piccolo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. Very high camp, but good fun regardless. And at least the storyline stuck true to history (if you ignore the elephants, etc.)...

Well, not really. And I'm not just complaining about the lack of spartan sex.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Well, not really. And I'm not just complaining about the lack of spartan sex.
    *shrug* It was fairly true to how I remember reading it - but simplified.
    piccolo wrote: »
    *shrug* It was fairly true to how I remember reading it - but simplified.

I haven't seen the film, but I understand it is true to the comic. The most obvious difference is that the spartans didn't defeat the iranians. They did hold back a numerically massively superior force for 3? days, and give the greek army time to arrive.

But I guess that call fall under simplification.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film, but I understand it is true to the comic. The most obvious difference is that the spartans didn't defeat the iranians. They did hold back a numerically massively superior force for 3? days, and give the greek army time to arrive.

But I guess that call fall under simplification.
    Iranians? We're talking about Persians.
    And the way I remember it, Herodotus said that for the first few days there was no Spartan dead but many Persians. In the end they were all killed, Leonidas was beheaded by Xerxes himself.
    They don't defeat them in the film either.