Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ginger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Watching a TV Documentary on a guy who's got Ginger Hair ... says it's a right turn off for the ladies (espacially the thought of the ginger pubes) .. what do you think?

I reckon there's a double standard - i.e. Ginger girls are considered hot whilst ginger guys are not.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LondonGuy wrote: »
    I reckon there's a double standard - i.e. Ginger girls are considered hot .

Are they??
    It is all down to personal preference and if you are shallow enough just to go by hair colour and disregard everything else then you won't get very far.

Here in Scotland we supposedly have the highest proportion of red heads actually :)
    I think ginger hair is a turn off yes however i don't think it matters what sex you are either.

I used to go to school with a very pretty ginger girl, but then a very ugly one, so ginger girls aren't always hot. Same goes for guys, some aren't bad, some are.

I would never not go out with someone just because they are ginger as you'd be a bit of a loser to do such a thing based on hair colour.
    Are they??

What's wrong with us?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What's wrong with us?

Are you ginger?

I don't think having ginger hair makes you hot or a minger. You can be blond and fucking ugly either way, it's the same for any hair colour, some have the looks some don't.

I know a few people who prefer those with ginger hair.
    What's wrong with us?

Theres nothing wrong with You, it's as squel said, not every ginger women is hot.
    squeal wrote: »
    Are you ginger?

I don't think having ginger hair makes you hot or a minger. You can be blond and fucking ugly either way, it's the same for any hair colour, some have the looks some don't.

I know a few people who prefer those with ginger hair.

I am, but i'm more a blondey red. Not orange. I think people forget that there are different shades of red. Yeah, there is a rule that girls with red hair are either hot or a minger.
    Theres nothing wrong with You, it's as squel said, not every ginger women is hot.

i know - i've known alot at school that have been ugly. But it's not the hair that makes you a minger.
    I really like red hair for both men and women.

I think there are some really beautiful shades of ginger hair.
    I've never understood the ginger pubes problem either. Dark pubes aren't any better looking.
    Yeah, I don't get the pubes issue either. Surely they're pretty unattractive whatever the colour.

Being ginger over here seems to be a huge issue. People seem to have a marmite attitude towards it. Apparently, based on my one conversation with an American lady, it's not such a big thing in other countries. It's just seen as a colour that is just that, a colour. People don't think any more of less of it than they do other colours. Weird hey.
    I always seem to have a thing for ginger guys so I think it does depend a lot on personal preference - and as everyone else has already said, you can be really hot or minging whatever your hair colour.
    my flatmate has ginger hair (even though he is adamant that it IS reddy brown) and i reckon its quite attractive! ..it does help that the rest of him is nice looking too though :chin:
    i saw a teenage boy on the boat the other day that had THE most ginger curly hair ive ever seen on a boy. twas down to his waist! he was obviously very proud of it - i however didnt really think it was too appealing :eek2:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to have a fair bit of red in my hair as a kid. As I grew older it grew out thank fuck, I've never had pale skin, and I've never had ginger pupes. If I grow any facial hair however you can still see a little red - that still bothers me though.

There no doubt about it ginger hair puts a lot of ladies off and lads with ginger hair do get teased more at school than the girls.
    Weekender Offender 
    Loopi wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get the pubes issue either. Surely they're pretty unattractive whatever the colour.

Being ginger over here seems to be a huge issue. People seem to have a marmite attitude towards it. Apparently, based on my one conversation with an American lady, it's not such a big thing in other countries. It's just seen as a colour that is just that, a colour. People don't think any more of less of it than they do other colours. Weird hey.

They seem to LOVE red hair over there. It's like a blessing! Here it still seems to be a curse. Maybe it's left overs of old attitudes and myths? Like people with red hair were thought to be concieved when the woman was on her period (very forbidden) and lots of old tripe like that.
    Loopi wrote: »

Except for some parts of Jamaica, they think you are the devil if you have red hair!
    I wasn't aware there was such a ginger hate on the islands.
    We hardly have any ginger people over here. well 'hardly'... it's just blonde and brunette dominated.

I have pale orange hair and it was never an issue, luckily. I don't look like your generic redhair either tho.
    It's like the race thread the other day. I don't see it as shallow to not be attracted to someone with red hair, you can't help who you're attracted to. It is the least important thing to me about whether I find a girl attractive. Most girls seem to dye their hair either way anyway.

But I do agree with the OP. It is seen as more of an issue for men to have red hair than women. Having said that, of my old school friends, the only one that's ended up with a really hot girlfriend is ginger (actually wife now).

Watched a news report not too long ago saying that ginger people would die out eventually, because less people find them attractive.
    ^ Tbh it's down to it being a recessive gene, to have red hair both parents need the gene and even then there's only a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with red hair.
    Was this part of BBC3's body image series? I watched the one about short men. Apparently there's no evidence that they're more aggressive. It was funny though. The bloke who presented it was 4' 11" and had a job as a stunt man (usually for children).
    silverhalo wrote: »
    It is all down to personal preference and if you are shallow enough just to go by hair colour and disregard everything else then you won't get very far.

Here in Scotland we supposedly have the highest proportion of red heads actually :)

Ah...now Scottish red I like! I'd say it's more Auburn than ginger...bit of a turn on, but I think that's cos it hints at the 'Scottishness' inside the man!! :D
    Watching a TV Documentary on a guy who's got Ginger Hair ... says it's a right turn off for the ladies (espacially the thought of the ginger pubes) .. what do you think?

I reckon there's a double standard - i.e. Ginger girls are considered hot whilst ginger guys are not.

I watched it too. The girls in the club were soooooooooooo thick. I really hate to think that the presenter felt so shit after that conversation with them because they are hardly a good representation on what all girls think.

Oooh and they had Bradley from EE on it :heart: I lurve him.
    They seem to LOVE red hair over there. It's like a blessing! Here it still seems to be a curse. Maybe it's left overs of old attitudes and myths? Like people with red hair were thought to be concieved when the woman was on her period (very forbidden) and lots of old tripe like that.

Yeahhh...I reckon they love red hair over there cos of the Irish connection!! They feel all special and celtic and that with red hair...:D
    Ginger girls are considered hot

By who? The only ginge I hear people say is hot is that Lohan rat. And she's well, a rat.

It's not just the hair colour, it's the usual features that go with it. Even if a ginge dyes their hair, you can still tell they were naturally ginger. Excessive amounts of freckles is not pretty.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    By who? The only ginge I hear people say is hot is that Lohan rat. And she's well, a rat.

Nicole Kidman?
    It's not just the hair colour, it's the usual features that go with it. Even if a ginge dyes their hair, you can still tell they were naturally ginger. Excessive amounts of freckles is not pretty.

Not all ginger people have loads of freckles.
    Weekender Offender 
    The only ginge I hear people say is hot is that Lohan rat.

Kirstin Dunst, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Rachel Blanchard, Julie off the OC, off the top of my head.

Though ironically, there seemed to be a lot more from the black and white era of films.
    Skive wrote: »
    Nicole Kidman?

It's really personal preference, but I wouldn't say she's exactly great. She's not ugly, just not great.
    Skive wrote: »
    Not all ginger people have loads of freckles.

Hence why I used the qualifier 'usual'.

It is why alot of people don't like gingers though; it's not all about the actual hair colour.
    Kirstin Dunst, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Rachel Blanchard, Julie off the OC, off the top of my head.

Kirstin Dunst? No thanks. Kidman? Been over her already. Julianne Moore, she's acutally not bad. No idea who the last two are.

EDIT: Wait I take Julianne Moore back after IMDB'ing her to see what she was in and caught a swatch of her pictures.
    The bird from Silence of the Lambs is quite nice - what'she bloody name again?
    I met plenty of hot red head girls.

I while excessive amounts of freckles is definatley linked with red hair, I don't think it's 'usual'.
    Weekender Offender 
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    The bird from Silence of the Lambs is quite nice - what'she bloody name again?

Do you mean Julianne Moore who was in Hannibal? As I don't think Jodie Foster is ginger :confused: She is my fave of the ones IWS mentioned, she has that gorgeous porcelain skin and looks about 30 despite being well over 40, definitely genetics but probably also a LOT to do with the fact that she'll have stayed out of the sun due to her complexion.

Maureen O'Hara is the most beautiful redhead I can think of :heart:

I'm a total sucker for ginger men, my first love was a total carrot top bless 'im and used to blush like crazy in the way that a lot of ginger people do. Adorable though not particularly "sexy", I must say...
This discussion has been closed.