Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For people who used to be against drugs....(but all welcome!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you were against drugs to start with, and then decided to try something, and then liked it and carried on, what made you change your mind?

What was the point where you realised you HAD completely changed your mind, and did you ever feel bad that you'd gone against what you first thought?

Just curious.....:wave:

Oh..and any input from anyone else welcome too!! :thumb:

ETA: Does that even make sense? :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know alot of people who were anti-drugs for ages, but some of their friends (me, hurrah!) started taking them then through hanging around with us they realised drugs weren't as bad as the media/government makes out. They realise that they don't instantly turn you into an abusive wreck who immediately drops out of school/uni, sells their Playstation for drugs, and becomes detached from family/whoever you're dating.
    HanHan wrote: »
    If you were against drugs to start with, and then decided to try something, and then liked it and carried on, what made you change your mind?

What was the point where you realised you HAD completely changed your mind, and did you ever feel bad that you'd gone against what you first thought?

I was against drugs, even things like tobacco! I'd seen me nan go through illness all her life because of cigarettes and I mean years an years of it! Having lived with her with her from time to time, I witnessed some auwfull shit an that was just from fags! Still, I'd always been curious as to what all the fuss was about. I'd stayed away until I got into uni, then I felt ready to try out a few an what not. I've had fun so far, sure I've had a few mishaps, all part of life in my opinion. It can be a slippery slope I've found but I've always felt strong enough to cope in the end. I know what drugs not to do and I know my limit. I find the company I keep is so so important.

I'll grow out of it I'm sure. I already think I've had my lot in certain terms an I'm not out every other night after pills an coke anymore. I've gota clear straight head, so doing drugs is cool with me.

I dont half ramble...

I was pretty anti drugs, because thats the way my parents had brought me up.

What changed that? Well it was a mixture of going to uni and wanting to fit in. I guess i did like it, or would have stopped. I think it was also part of me growing up.

I havent completely changed my mind about drugs, I still do think they are bad, for some people. I have no objection to a some guys or girls having a night in on the x box and having a few spliffs or whatever.

As long as you can be responsible with any drug (even alcohol) then it dont think it is bad.

:thumb:
    I got drugs education rammed down my throat at school, which was obviously pretty one sided. The town I come from is full of young fisherman with too much money who spend it on heroin, lose their job and are addicted to the stuff who turn to crime to feed their habit. I know there's not much of a correlation between that and taking pills or a joint every weekend, but when you're brought up amongst it then you're bound to see it all as A Bad Thing.

I only really have a joint every other weekend (on average), done a couple of lines and I've had pills a couple of times. I got into weed through mates, but I've lost touch with them and kept it going for my own relaxation - a lot of my mates now don't touch drugs. For me, any benefit of pills and coke is outweighed by shit feeling afterwards so I don't tend to bother and just stick to the booze.

To answer the question - it's just something you do when you're old enough to make up your own mind about things.
    some of my mates got into pills at an early age and I thought they were a bit stupid for it at the time.
    I was a bit nieve and thought that cos shrooms were legal and natural they were perfectly safe. So I tried them, I had some brilliant experiences and it opened my mind a a lot more, so I did some research and ended up experimenting with other drugs from there and ended up doing everthing I had thought before was stupid.
    ive never been anti drugs and it pisses me off when misinformed people come along thinking they know what they're talking about

if you don't know anything on the subject then stfu :thumb:
    z- wrote: »
    ive never been anti drugs and it pisses me off when misinformed people come along thinking they know what they're talking about

That's not entirely fair..everyone's entitled to an opinion! But can see how it'd piss you off if someone turned up with a big megaphone saying 'drugs are bad'.....but think it's much more healthy to see both sides than just think "they don't know what they're talking about" and tell them to shut up??

P.S - Hope you weren't aiming it at me, because that's why I'm here, asking this...to learn...:blush:
    That's not entirely fair..everyone's entitled to an opinion! :

Broadcasting a completely uninformed opinion is completely usless and pointless IMO.

....Not aimed at you or anything just generally speaking.
    no not aimed at you at all, just hate people who come along preaching that xyz is bad when they havent got a clue.. theres nothing wrong with someone being anti drugs, for the most part i think its a pity people are so purely educated about them, but it pisses me right off they start mouthing off, refuse to listen, and are just plain ignorant in general
    I think what pisses a lot of people off is people going around saying "Drugs are bad" and more than likely are the one's themselves who go out and get wasted every weekend on drink (which is also a drug and a destructive one at that.)

Also, misinformation spewed out by the media and in turn spewed out by clueless psuedo-intellects as some sort of FACT.

Educate yourself on the issue then come back.

At a young age I was anti-drugs as I was from a rural, republican area and it was pretty much drilled into me. Though in my early teens I started getting interested and thought I'd try it out, no regrets really but I wish younger people would take their bodies and minds into more consideration when going out and using drugs.
    That's not entirely fair..everyone's entitled to an opinion! But can see how it'd piss you off if someone turned up with a big megaphone saying 'drugs are bad'.....but think it's much more healthy to see both sides than just think "they don't know what they're talking about" and tell them to shut up??

He said uninformed people. We've all met them, the ones that think the stuff in my original post is true. The ones that think cannabis is a gateway drug that leads to heroin. The ones that think taking pills is a Russian roulette of ending up dead through taking something filled with rat poison.

Same goes for any subject; uniformed people who refuse to listen to reason or logic aren't worth the time of day.
    z- wrote: »

Agreed mate.
    When I was really young, I was against drugs in the same way that everyone is. I was brought up in a society where your parents, the media and education are always telling you how evil drugs are. Because it's such a hush-hush subject, no one ever really questioned it and we all just went along believing everything we're told because that's just how it was, never bothered to actually learn facts or anything about it. What naive, narrow minded and ignorant twats we were. Pitty 90% of the country still are.

I started smoking green because I suppose I thought it was rebellious and soon I became actively involved in that sort of culture and became genuinely interested in drugs and wanted to learn about them. So I researched drugs and found out facts and truths that most people will never know about because they don't even bother to try. Anyway, the more weed I smoked, the more people I got to know and I tried my first Ecstasy pill when I was 16, nearly 17, loved it...and it carried on from there.

I'm not calling all people who don't use drugs ignorant twats, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one should have to do anything they don't want to. Some people just shouldn't do drugs anyway. All I'm saying is that people who know fuck all about drugs and just believe everything they've been told without questioning it and look down on us drug users or who stereotype us are twats.
    I haven't ever tried illegal drugs, so I'm just one of the others that drifted in to throw in my tuppence worth, just to clarify from the start. I think sometimes people just grow up a bit though. I was never really DRUGS ARE BAD educated, my Mum used to be a youth worker and gave me pretty good drugs education, and both of my parents are pretty liberal and have done drugs recently, so it was never drummed into me how bad it was, I just thought it was a bit DANGER AND STAY AWAY in my books. I've now grown up a bit, and just realised that as long as you are sensible about it then there isn't a reason to stay away. I've got to the point where I'm curious to experiment so in some ways but haven't really got the right type of friends to do so at the moment, so I've come round to the idea, but I think I just grew up a bit.
    Was very anti drugs till I found out my girlfriend was doing pills... did some research so I knew what I was talking about so that I could persuade her to stop... with what I discovered they didn't seem half as damaging as Beer or Fags so decided to try for myself... have never looked back :) Still don't smoke and don't even drink much as have found my drug of choice :thumb:
    the media and education are always telling you how evil drugs are.

I can understand school teaching us the doom an gloom side of it all, because at the end of the day they can be dangereous! If used irresponsibly, they fuck up peoples lives.

Its an education I'm glad I had.
    Dodger wrote: »
    Was very anti drugs till I found out my girlfriend was doing pills... did some research so I knew what I was talking about so that I could persuade her to stop... with what I discovered they didn't seem half as damaging as Beer or Fags so decided to try for myself... have never looked back :) Still don't smoke and don't even drink much as have found my drug of choice :thumb:

:lol: Thats really interesting. You'r like a walking advert for pills :D

Guess its just about being educated about what your taking.
    lol! I am a big advocate for them... but have seen how they just don't mix well with some people... I can have a fantastic time with not too many nasty after effects (thank God for 5-HTP!) but some people I have seen have a pretty nasty reaction to a relatively small amount... horses for courses I guess ;)
    I've never been against drugs, just never fancied taking certain ones. A lots of people who I know where always "I'll never take drugs, hate them" - those people turned in to coke heads.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I got into hardcore and techno forest parties when I was about 14.
    My opinion of them changed when I realised what a craic people were having.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm not anti drugs and the only drug I guess I've had is weed but I know that hallucogenics aren't for me. Being someone who already suffers from panic attacks I think it would fuck me up.
    I was never anti drugs either - i think from the age of about 12 onwards I was like OK so your all telling me they are bad but there must be something to them if thousands of people are going out and taking them each weekend (without dying)and I want to know what that is.

The only drug I've never been curious to try was heroin - I think that was due to good drugs education - mainly Grange Hill - plus the fact that my mums cousin died of a heroin overdose when i was little.
    I was VERY anti-drug until just before Christmas 2000. Was working in a night club and Trade had a venue night at Code (now Air i think, where they hold God's Kitchen) and as i worked in a gay venue we all got put on the guest list (in Brum, if you work in a gay bar/club you get into all the gay bars/clubs for free). Anyway, it was a Sunday night and we all got there about midnight, and the stupid assholes hadn't applied for their license to be extended, and i thought 'Fuck this, how am i gonna have a good time drinking fucking Ribena all night ?' So went and saw my mate, had half an E, a bit of coke, a bit of speed and a smidge of K (spaced out through the night) and had one of the best nights out i can remember.

I'm a lot more tolerent of drug use/abuse now. I've know a few heroin addicts and seen why they started using it. There's quite often a tragic and sometimes harrowing story behind the life of an addict and why they started, so i try not to judge to quickly.
    I was always quite anti drugs - when i was about 9 i told my mum i didn't wanna grow up cos i thought i'd have to do drugs. God knows where i got that from :lol: Not sure what changed, guess i just started hanging around with people that were into it. When i was about 13 one of my mates bf's was a dealer and we used to hang around his flat and i got exposed to lots of drug taking, which to be honest i'd managed to avoid until then. Smoked weed pretty much all the way through secondary school, occassionally speed, even less occassionally coke. Managed to stay away from pills even though everyone was doing it around me. I've always been tempted but nah. The mate mentioned above who was always anti drugs is now a heroin addict so think i got off pretty lightly there.
    I don't do drugs except the occasional alcohol or marijuana.

I tried smoking (fags) a few times, but it doesn't appeal at all to me. It doesn't "soothe" me, I do not like the taste (as many people claim), I do not 'enjoy' it and it has generally just disadvantages for me.

For drugs, hmm... I have never tried anything except MJ, but I am not keen on the idea either. It just doesn't appeal to me. It might be awesome for you people, but I just don't want to dish out cash for those things and I honestly do not feel as if I am missing out.

I might try the one or the other thing, if it was offered to me (in a safe environment), but maybe the mental addiction puts me off a bit, when I see people craving for pills on weekends as if it was their bread and wine and be totally :crying: when there aren't any around.
    Ignore me please - idiot
    And Again
    Hmmm...so mostly, it was curiosity that got the better of you all?
    curiosity killed the cat :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    curiosity killed the cat :D

So I see....:p No...I dunno...I just find it interesting, because I can't imagine that 'flip' ever happening in my head where I suddenly thought "ah..I'll have a go...why not?", so am really interested to see what happened for other people to take that step....
    Hmmm...so mostly, it was curiosity that got the better of you all?

when you see people you know, who definitely don't have problems, having such a good time on drugs, it can really change your perspective.