Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Announcing

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Same here although it would have been both of us that probably wouldn't have made it.
  • Options
    You don't catch MRSA?

Because everyone who gives birth in a hospital does? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Alot of the time women get left on their own during labour while midwifes are circling around.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Alot of the time women get left on their own during labour while midwifes are circling around.
    I missed the word "get" in that sentence at first :lol:
  • Options
    Started another fred in P&D regarding this if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    Ooh I just saw this!
    Fucking well done, mate!
    xxxx.
  • Options
    I wouldnt have chosen a homebirth if it was my first child tbh, nor if I lived too far from a hospital, in case complications did arise, but as it happens, I live only minutes away from a fairly large hospital.
    I also very strongly believe that a lot of complications occur PURELY due to the hospital environment, and the fact that they try and keep labour to a certain time frame, intervening if things dont quite happen quick enough, and that cycle of intervention creates other problems in itself.
    A homebirth is safer in my opinion in a lot of cases, partly because you have two midwives with you, who STAY with you. At the hospital, I was sharing my midwife with many, I was left on my own for up to an hour at a time in hard labour, I felt so out of control, i ended up having pethidine - this led to feeding troubles for several days as baby was so drowsy, I then wanted an epidural as i had noone of any use there supporting me telling me i could do it. This slowed down contractions, so they gave me syntocin drip to speed them up again. of course i am flat on my back cos of the epidural and cant move nor feel to push when the time came, I only narrowly avoided a ventouse delivery. And that was a small 6lb baby.

This time I was in control. I had a midwife who was fantastic, a partner telling me I could do it and was coping brilliantly even when i felt like I wasnt and was proud of me, I also had a second midwife in case of emergencies. I was fully mobile as much as was able to adopt any position I wanted, and I was in my own environment and it was just a totally totally different experience.
    I think the being able to move around and the fact i wasnt drugged up and could listen to my body really was one of the main reasons I managed to birth a 10lb baby without even needing a stitch. That and damn good support.

Obviously they cant perform a Csection or give an epidural at a home birth, but any other emergency they are still fully trained and equipped for, shoulder dystocia, resucitation etc.
    In the case of an emergency C section, it takes 20 minutes at least to get theatre ready. by that time, I could have got an ambulance to me and back to the hospital twice.

I respect anyones right to give birth wherever they want, but there is such a misconception that hospital is safer when it really isnt. Thats just what they want you to think.
  • Options
    and thankyou once again :D
  • Options
    On a slightly different note Abbie, seriously, you have no business looking that good just after giving birth to a 10lb baby woman! :eek2: I look rougher than that on most days. :p
  • Options
    Congratulations! Glad the home birth went well.
  • Options
    I wouldnt have chosen a homebirth if it was my first child tbh, nor if I lived too far from a hospital, in case complications did arise, but as it happens, I live only minutes away from a fairly large hospital.
    I also very strongly believe that a lot of complications occur PURELY due to the hospital environment, and the fact that they try and keep labour to a certain time frame, intervening if things dont quite happen quick enough, and that cycle of intervention creates other problems in itself.
    A homebirth is safer in my opinion in a lot of cases, partly because you have two midwives with you, who STAY with you. At the hospital, I was sharing my midwife with many, I was left on my own for up to an hour at a time in hard labour, I felt so out of control, i ended up having pethidine - this led to feeding troubles for several days as baby was so drowsy, I then wanted an epidural as i had noone of any use there supporting me telling me i could do it. This slowed down contractions, so they gave me syntocin drip to speed them up again. of course i am flat on my back cos of the epidural and cant move nor feel to push when the time came, I only narrowly avoided a ventouse delivery. And that was a small 6lb baby.

This time I was in control. I had a midwife who was fantastic, a partner telling me I could do it and was coping brilliantly even when i felt like I wasnt and was proud of me, I also had a second midwife in case of emergencies. I was fully mobile as much as was able to adopt any position I wanted, and I was in my own environment and it was just a totally totally different experience.
    I think the being able to move around and the fact i wasnt drugged up and could listen to my body really was one of the main reasons I managed to birth a 10lb baby without even needing a stitch. That and damn good support.

Obviously they cant perform a Csection or give an epidural at a home birth, but any other emergency they are still fully trained and equipped for, shoulder dystocia, resucitation etc.
    In the case of an emergency C section, it takes 20 minutes at least to get theatre ready. by that time, I could have got an ambulance to me and back to the hospital twice.

I respect anyones right to give birth wherever they want, but there is such a misconception that hospital is safer when it really isnt. Thats just what they want you to think.

god you make me want a home birth now!
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    On a slightly different note Abbie, seriously, you have no business looking that good just after giving birth to a 10lb baby woman! :eek2: I look rougher than that on most days. :p

Was thinking the same thing! :yes:
  • Options
    You don't catch MRSA?

In actual fact MRSA is more widespread in the community than in hospitals!....you could be walking around with it now, but because you are fit and well with no open wounds it will not affect you adversely ;)
  • Options
    Just seen the photos, he's really lovely. Although he doesn't look too impressed with his dad or his older brother... Congratulations, both, again. x
  • Options

Thats a Very interesting read, and I am glad it worked out for you,

Maybe things are different down there, but up here, We were not left alone once during labour, as soon as she was "established" a midwife was there all the time, even before pushing begun. I mean if one had to leave for 5min, another would come in, we also had the same midwife for the whole night. not many others. but that was our experience

Sorry if Hyjacking.
  • Options
    the safe arrival of baby Felix :heart: at 2.55pm today.
    all 10lb of him!!!!!

A natural homebirth which took 4 and a half hours from start to finish and not a stitch in sight, although bloody hell that hurt.
    Breastfeeding well, pooing well, all over his dad - twice :lol:
    hes absolutely beautiful with blond hair and blue eyes :heart: will upload some pics at some point soon.

Ah wicked, you named him after my old username, you shouldn't have :p.
  • Options
    :D Congrats again :D