Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

US to attack Iran this week?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to a "well known" journo Andrei Uglanov from the Moscow weekly the US are about to launch a massive air strike against Iran's Nuclear projects called "Operation Bite" on April 6th.

Anyone heard anything about this? I;ve not found anything apart from the below and some stuff on Rense.
MOSCOW, March 30 (RIA Novosti) - Russian intelligence has information that the U.S. Armed Forces have nearly completed preparations for a possible military operation against Iran, and will be ready to strike in early April, a security official said.

The source said the U.S. had already compiled a list of possible targets on Iranian territory and practiced the operation during recent exercises in the Persian Gulf.

"Russian intelligence has information that the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in the Persian Gulf have nearly completed preparations for a missile strike against Iranian territory," the source said.

American commanders will be ready to carry out the attack in early April, but it will be up to the country's political leadership to decide if and when to attack, the source said.
MORE - Clicky

http://www.rense.com/general75/bite.htm

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this is fucking madness....
    Oh good God, this is going to be the beginning of the end :|
    Yeah lets bomb the little fuckers. That will teach them to take our sailors hostage and firebomb our embassy.
    Please tell me this is a late April Fool's day joke....
    Isn't this just going to make things 10x worse? And since when was this americas problem anyway?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Amira wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought. :(

:lol: I hope it is. Then I wont have to pay my credit card off :D
    A pretty dubious source - and Russia, a strong ally of Iran has a definite interest in seeking to discredit the US over American concerns with Iran.

Of course the US will have military plans for use against Iran. That comes as no surprise. However, the existence of such plans does not mean that they will be exercised. I am sure that future declassified documents of various countries will confirm various detailed military plans that were never put into effect.

That said, Iran's President has threatened to unleash a 21st century Holocaust (whilst denying the Holocaust of the 20th century). This same man has pledged to 'wipe Israel off the map.' And Arab states in the region, like Israel and the international community are understandably frightened at the prospect of an Islamic fundamentalist possessing the nuclear option. Iran's recent unacceptable behaviour and act of aggression against Britain makes it pretty clear that Iran is a hostile power. Diplomacy through the EU and UN has so far failed to halt Iran's move towards acquiring nuclear weapons. Unless there is a pretty rapid change in Iranian policies there will come a time when continuing diplomatic options is utterly futile. And that will probably mean seriously considering putting military plans into practice.
    Calvin wrote: »
    :lol: I hope it is. Then I wont have to pay my credit card off :D

...good point, might be time to take out a loan.:chin:
    ...good point, might be time to take out a loan.:chin:

Or rob a bank :lol:

Probably bollocks though it would be nice to see the US doing things for us instead of the other way round for a change. That said, if they attempt any daring rescue of the British troops, chances are they'll fuck it up somehow.

Personally I think this is just Itar-TASS and / or Putin trying to stir things up. I seriously hope that the US isn't stupid enough to invade a country of Iran's size, Iran's anti-US stance and a country that they rekon may have nukes.
    Diplomacy through the EU and UN has so far failed to halt Iran's move towards acquiring nuclear weapons.

One thing i don't understand is why the UN and especially America don't want Iran having nuclear weapons. Shouldn't countries be allowed the resources to protect themselves if push comes to shove?
    That said, if they attempt any daring rescue of the British troops, chances are they'll fuck it up somehow.

Why cant Britain send in our special forces to Iran to get our soliders back on the quiet, once they are out the country who give a fuck :D

But please not the americans, I would rather be rescued by the Krankies, than the bungling yanks. :lol:
    One thing i don't understand is why the UN and especially America don't want Iran having nuclear weapons. Shouldn't countries be allowed the resources to protect themselves if push comes to shove?

Iran has said it wants to see Israel wiped off the map. I dont think its got anything to do with protecting themselves. But more to do with causing mayhem.
    Seriously, the Americans seem to fuck up everything. They always go too far and then think the answer to their fuck ups is more military action.

I agree with Calvin, if this is a bid to rescue the british soldiers, it should be the Brits doing it without aggravating the situation anymore.

Do you really want someone who claims Israel should be "wiped off the map" gain the power to do so? Besides, push comes to shove with who? Noone's going to randomly nuke Iran (for arguments sake let's say America is evil and they might nuke Iran; obviously the US isn't going to want them to have the option to retaliate.)
    I agree with Calvin, if this is a bid to rescue the british soldiers, it should be the Brits doing it without aggravating the situation anymore.

It's not about that though. Sure, if this turns out to be true somewhere down the line the US might say it was to gain the moral high ground.
    That said, Iran's President has threatened to unleash a 21st century Holocaust (whilst denying the Holocaust of the 20th century). This same man has pledged to 'wipe Israel off the map.' And Arab states in the region, like Israel and the international community are understandably frightened at the prospect of an Islamic fundamentalist possessing the nuclear option.

I doubt this is an attack on the Jewish people, more on the legitimacy of the Israeli State.

There are about 40,000 Jews living in Iran. Surely they'd have left long, long ago if they thought Ahmadinejad was planning a holocaust against them.

We'll just have to see how this plays out, Iran is nowhere near as fundamental as it's made out to be. Quite a progressive Islamic State in fact.

If you're psychotic next door neighbour said he was going to blow up your house - how would you feel if you found out he quite seriously wanted to buy a grenade launcher? Would you phone the police and demand they stop him?

Iran's president has clearly stated his wish of destroying an entire country. It's chilling that his fantasy of a Middle East with Israel obliterated should coincide with moves towards acquiring nuclear weapons.

Arab states would not be happy about Iran emerging as a nuclear power. It's almost certain that Saudi Arabia would seek to acquire nuclear weapons; Egypt, UAE, Jordan and others could follow. Would any sane person welcome the prospect of a Middle East armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons? Unless Iran is stopped that seems a very real and worrying possibility.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    There are about 40,000 Jews living in Iran. Surely they'd have left long, long ago if they thought Ahmadinejad was planning a holocaust against them.

You have read your European history, haven't you?
    Quite a progressive Islamic State in fact.

In some regards. There is a difference to gaining popular support and actions and I think that we will see that here...
    I doubt this is an attack on the Jewish people, more on the legitimacy of the Israeli State.

The overwhelming majority of Jews in the Middle East live in Israel. (This wasn't the case until after the Jewish exodus from Arab lands).

Actually, most did leave long ago. The bulk left sometime after 1948 and a high number also left after the Islamic Revolution.
    Iran is nowhere near as fundamental as it's made out to be. Quite a progressive Islamic State in fact.

Progressive? :rolleyes: Medieval, barbaric and backward I think.
    You have read your European history, haven't you?

:confused:
    Medieval, barbaric and backward I think.

I didn't say it was a progressive democratic country, I said it was a progressive Islamic State.

You assume that people will leave a country because of the threat against them. Clearly you haven't look at what happened in Eruope in the 20th Century and I am not just talking about the events in Germany in the 30s.

You might also look at African nations too...

It's is naive to think that people would up-sticks. Historically they haven't which is precisely why "ethnic cleansing" has been possible on so many occasions.

He's talking about 1930's Germany :razz:

Anyway, I talk to a chick who lives in Tehran. Her and a whole shitload of her student friends aren't exactly the biggest supporters of how Ahmadinejad runs things...
    Iran has said it wants to see Israel wiped off the map. I dont think its got anything to do with protecting themselves. But more to do with causing mayhem.
    Saying something like that was wrong, but there has been nothing to prove that they will actually do something like that. Anyone can make threats (and usually false threats are made to negotiate other matters), but if they do step out of line and attack Israel, then they should be deprived of their weapons and privileges. But until then, they should have the same rights to nuclear weapons as other countries. Or better still, nobody should have nuclear weapons.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Anyway, I talk to a chick who lives in Tehran. Her and a whole shitload of her student friends aren't exactly the biggest supporters of how Ahmadinejad runs things...

The same is true of two Iranian friends of mine (although both live in Europe).
    but if they do step out of line and attack Israel, then they should be deprived of their weapons and privileges.

If they 'attack' Israel with nuclear weapons thousands of people will die. And thousands more if the Israelis retaliate. And who's gonna 'deprive' Iran of their weapons? Once they have the weapons nobody would be able to prevent Iran from using them.
    But until then, they should have the same rights to nuclear weapons as other countries.

Why? Should people all have the same legal 'rights' to owning a gun? Or should some distinction be made between different individuals? Should a violent criminal have the same 'rights' to a gun as an Olympic shooting athlete?
    Why? Should people all have the same legal 'rights' to owning a gun? Or should some distinction be made between different individuals? Should a violent criminal have the same 'rights' to a gun as an Olympic shooting athlete?

So America is a nation with an outstanding record for peace-keeping and being anti-war. I say if Iran isn't allowed nuclear weapons then neither should America.

But ofcourse, me saying that will make me an Islamic fundamentalist and someone siding with Iran. Seriously, im sick of this bullshit.
    Saying something like that was wrong, but there has been nothing to prove that they will actually do something like that. Anyone can make threats (and usually false threats are made to negotiate other matters),

There's a difference between a country saying something along the lines of "If you do X we will be forced to retaliate" and "Israel should be wiped off the map". A damn big difference.
    but if they do step out of line and attack Israel, then they should be deprived of their weapons and privileges. But until then, they should have the same rights to nuclear weapons as other countries.

"Hey, you guys just nuked Israel, no fair! So uhh... fancy stopping what you're doing and giving us your nuclear weapons?"

Don't see it working somehow.
    Or better still, nobody should have nuclear weapons.

Oh dear. I'm not even going to touch this.
    So America is a nation with an outstanding record for peace-keeping and being anti-war.

When (save the end of WWII) has America offensively used nuclear weapons? Even then, war was declared on them and the proper use of the weapons was nesecary to demonstrate their power. Saying "You'll just have to take our word we have a really big weapon that can do 1000x more damage than any of your weapons" isn't going to cut it.
    Oh dear. I'm not even going to touch this.

why? Surely this would be the answer to soooo many issues in todays world.
    When (save the end of WWII) has America offensively used nuclear weapons? Even then, war was declared on them and the proper use of the weapons was nesecary to demonstrate their power. Saying "You'll just have to take our word we have a really big weapon that can do 1000x more damage than any of your weapons" isn't going to cut it.

Who said anything about nuclear weapons, since Bush has been in office there has been nothing but war....very peaceful and anti-war, personally speaking i think America are as bad as everyone they claim are terrorists.
    Yeah lets bomb the little fuckers. That will teach them to take our sailors hostage and firebomb our embassy.

after we took 5 of their diplomats in iraq mind you, ignoring the long observed rule of not arresting diplomats