Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University easter holiday lectures.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yea, I know the thread title doesn't give away much, but I couldn't think of anything better, so bear with me.

Basically there are optional courses and lectures on university now in the easter holidays, which have nothing do to with anyones degree, they are just there for information. The hook with that is tho, that it's only for girls/woman, so no males allowed.

How do you think about that? I am aware that there are still inequalities between men and women, but is that the right way? To fight fire with fire?

Not that I was very much interested in going to listen to those lectures anyway, but it pisses me a bit off, that I wouldn't be able to attend them if I wanted, just because I have an Y-chromosome or a penis dangling between my legs.

What are your sentiments about excluding other people from any kind of events (they even rented a popular nightspot I like to go too, so it just provides entrance for women for a particular night), even tho your interest is to affiliate and 'equalize' (whatever that means) both parties?
Are they even trying to find a solution or are they just petulant and trying to fight a petty war?

Input please.

Comments

• Options
    Erm, renting out a private venue and only letting in who you want is fine in my book (though I somehow think that if someone rented out a nightclub and only let in white people, there'd be uproar). However, when you're talking about communal facilities (presumably) using the money you paid for university fees, then there's got to be pretty good justification. It's hard to know what to think without hearing both sides. ETA: D'you know what the lectures are on?

We did have this debate once before with the issue of female only swimming sessions in public swimming pools, which in principle I don't agree with (though it's hardly the most important issue in the world).
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Yea, I know the thread title doesn't give away much, but I couldn't think of anything better, so bear with me.

Basically there are optional courses and lectures on university now in the easter holidays, which have nothing do to with anyones degree, they are just there for information. The hook with that is tho, that it's only for girls/woman, so no males allowed.

How do you think about that? I am aware that there are still inequalities between men and women, but is that the right way? To fight fire with fire?

Not that I was very much interested in going to listen to those lectures anyway, but it pisses me a bit off, that I wouldn't be able to attend them if I wanted, just because I have an Y-chromosome or a penis dangling between my legs.

What are your sentiments about excluding other people from any kind of events (they even rented a popular nightspot I like to go too, so it just provides entrance for women for a particular night), even tho your interest is to affiliate and 'equalize' (whatever that means) both parties?
    Are they even trying to find a solution or are they just petulant and trying to fight a petty war?

Input please.

Treaten to take your uni to the European Court of Human Rights :thumb:

I cant see why your uni only allows girls to attend these special lectures, perhaps they are lectures on cooking, ironing :yes:

Girls have to learn sometime :D

One a serious note, i dont think its fair to exclude men or women from any event, but sometimes people still try. If your motivated enough, try and embarrass the uni by writing a story for the local paper or something. Or even just talk to the vice president of your uni, and ask them to explain why its the case.

Other than that, dont worry about it. Just enjoy your free time.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I cant see why your uni only allows girls to attend these special lectures, perhaps they are lectures on cooking, ironing :yes:

Surely these should be core skills they should learn before they get to University.... :D
  • Options
    What exactly are they about though? Maybe it's to help them out when it comes to job searching etc?
  • Options
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That sounds crazy. What could the reasoning be behind that??
    I don't see the problem. David went on a university access course when he was in 6th Form that was held over university vacations. It was strictly invite only - he came from a severely disadvantaged area so they were trying to encourage more applications from those areas.

Should I have kicked up a fuss because I didn't get to go on it, just because I grew up surrounded by sheep instead of smack heads?
    You're missing the point. Would you be OK with it if you were told you couldn't go because you're a woman?
  • Options
    To be honest it hard to tell how to feel without knowing what the lectures about. If its something like 'female empowerment: how to get ahead in a man's world' it seems fair that they're for women only. If they're 'What the Romans did for us' it seems less fair.

I've also no problem with women only swimming times, women only self-defence classes etc, etc. Proper equality doesn't mean that everything is equally available as it needs to recognise men and women are different...
  • Options
    Surely these should be core skills they should learn before they get to University.... :D

:lol: You would think so, but education these days :no:

*waits for the sexist pig comments* :D
    You're missing the point. Would you be OK with it if you were told you couldn't go because you're a woman?

I do think if this had been a boys only lecture, then it would be a different story. You would have all the girls shouting how this was sexist and unfair. But it really depends on what these lectures are about :confused:

:thumb:
  • Options
    One a serious note, i dont think its fair to exclude men or women from any event, but sometimes people still try. If your motivated enough, try and embarrass the uni by writing a story for the local paper or something. Or even just talk to the vice president of your uni, and ask them to explain why its the case.

Other than that, dont worry about it. Just enjoy your free time.

Like I said, I am just talking in principal. I do not know what the lectures are about and I do not complain, because I am not allowed there but the topic would greatly interest me. It's just the mentality behind that.

@GWST: I think I can spot a difference between my and your case here. Of course there are ALWAYS establishments and facilities that selectively choose people over another, so poor people aren't allowed in milionaire yacht clubs, minors are not allowed in strip clubs, etc.

but I am not talking about social discrepancies here, but the most basic form of all difference between people: sex.
    And to not allow one of the two in some sort of event especially in a public educationaly facility is a bit weird for me.

I will try and find more out about the nature of those lectures.
    I do think if this had been a boys only lecture, then it would be a different story. You would have all the girls shouting how this was sexist and unfair. I think the university would be quite scared by the feminists and wouldnt dream of having a boys only lecture or event.

:thumb:

those are my thoughts. Sexism and inequality is boo and the root of all evil from boy --> girl, but in the opposite direction it seems to be ok, and it is not helping the cause, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Tbh until you know what they're about, i don't think you can really complain.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hehe, bet they're being run by the marketing department of a tampon company or something, doing a bit of research. Show up to make a political point. :p Tbh, even if it was a lecture about something specifically concerning women, I don't see why men shouldn't be allowed to attend if they so wish. Unless there were space concerns, but let's face it none would actually go.
  • Options
    I'm not missing the point. If there's a good reason why certain sections of the population need to be encouraged towards something then I think it's reasonable to have an exclusive event to cater for their needs. They happen all the time - the example I gave was just one of them.

I think you are fixating upon this specifically because it is catered for females. An event exclusively for muslims, or people from the dodgy side of town isn't any less "unfair" if it excludes everyone else.

I think it can be aimed at women (or muslims, or whatever other group), it can advertise to women, it can be about things specific to women, but I just don't like the idea of anyone not of that specific group being explicitly denied access to a publicly funded event. Of course practicalities and limitations in resources may mean that sometimes it's required, but I really can't see Easter holiday lectures running out of seats somehow. And I honestly cannot think of an topic where the presence of a man would ruin it.
  • Options
  • Options
    How would it? And if it did, then is that reason enough to discriminate against a man? And how about a man who has been the victim of rape and domestic abuse? Or his partner has in a previous relationship and he wants to learn how to approach the issue?
  • Options
    How would it? And if it did, then is that reason enough to discriminate against a man? And how about a man who has been the victim of rape and domestic abuse? Or his partner has in a previous relationship and he wants to learn how to approach the issue?

Then there's an argument for support groups for male rape and domestic abuse and for groups which support men who's partner has been abused domestically, rather than having them in the same group.

If there was a group for impotence I'm not sure I'd want a mixed group whilst I discussed the problems of getting it up...

In 95% of things there should be absolute equality (eg men and women should be treated exactly the same), but there's some things which should be men or women only...

(I can't say I stay awake at night worrying that for a few hours a week the swimming baths also bans blokes coming into ogle at women in swimsuits either)
  • Options
    (I can't say I stay awake at night worrying that for a few hours a week the swimming baths also bans blokes coming into ogle at women in swimsuits either)

I've gotta say, I've never been turned on by the sight of a woman in a swimming costume, hat and two red rings round her eyes where her goggles were. :p
  • Options
    I did ask what these classes are about... :chin: So, what are they? It's a vital bit of information to say whether this is fair or not.
  • Options
    If it's women only it's bound to be boring anyway, don't worry about it and become a Freemason or something :D lol
  • Options
    StrubbleS - would you be complaining if it was only for men?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    StrubbleS - would you be complaining if it was only for men?
    I'm not StrubbleS, but I probably would. I can't say for sure without knowing what the classes are about.
  • Options
    I'm not StrubbleS, but I probably would. I can't say for sure without knowing what the classes are about.

I think the same.

At my school, during the easter holidays they have some GCSE revision classes, but you're not invited if your year 12/13 doing resits - which to me does seem a bit wrong...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think the same.

At my school, during the easter holidays they have some GCSE revision classes, but you're not invited if your year 12/13 doing resits - which to me does seem a bit wrong...
    I don't know much how schools work there, but if I understood correctly that means you're not allowed in these classes if you're taking these exams for not the first time?
    I'd say the fairness of that depends on some things. If these classes are given by the school, and the people retaking the exams aren't in school anymore, then it doesn't sound unfair (though still not nice).
    But if the classes are given by something else than the school and/or people retaking the exams ARE still in school, then yes it is unfair.
  • Options
    The people retaking the exams are still in school.
    but if I understood correctly that means you're not allowed in these classes if you're taking these exams for not the first time?

Yes. That means I only have about 6 weeks or so to leanr about a year's worth of work with very little help. (apart from the hour I get a week with one teacher)
  • Options
    In that case, yes it's unfair.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    true, our gcse maths revision classes are only for intermediate people, foundation and higher tier arent catered for because we arent the majority apparently - lovely attitude. I asked miss for extra work and shes refused as her focus is "on the D and E grade students" to get them up - no worries about the future of everyone else then, tis stupid!

That's crap. Did they actually give you anything to revise from over Easter?
  • Options
    tbh gcse's aren't worth half the hassle, as long as you get C's in english and maths - maybe science and a few others you'll be fine
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing! We’ve had 3 teachers this year (the majority couldn’t even speak English clearly or teach to save their lives). I'm not being funny, I understand that it is important to get the lower grades up to the "magic C" teachers keep banging on about, but she's given me no extra work for 6months its got to the point I’ve had to help myself to a text book and work through and she wont explain anything I’m unsure of because im not her target for the moment. We'd previously complained about the math dept. to the head and he assured us Hayley and I would be catered for - well that's a joke

That’s all very well when I need minimums of A's in English, maths and science to get on the sixth form course I’m doing.

Yes I'm sure I'd be fine with just C's by why stick with that when I'm capable of A/A* in every subject I take, just because the teacher only wants to focus on those that don't give a monkeys about their education and spend the lessons fighting and slinging textbooks and compasses round the room?

fair enough, but once you're in 6th form - they don't really mean anything. Have you tried private tutoring? I got tutored for my SAT maths in year 9 because the class i was in was terrible and i wasn't learning anything. I got 6a! Was only an hour a week aswell!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    tbh gcse's aren't worth half the hassle, as long as you get C's in english and maths - maybe science and a few others you'll be fine

Crap. Try telling that to a friend of mine who got Cs in everything and failed all of her A-Levels. And there are schools who say you need at least a B else they won't let you on the course.
    just because the teacher only wants to focus on those that don't give a monkeys about their education and spend the lessons fighting and slinging textbooks and compasses round the room?

I used to find a similar thing in English. We never got taught properly and many people who were there clearly didn't want to learn. I think there was a similar thing in Science and in Year 11, the teachers decided to have some sort of group where the ones didn't want to learn would be separated from everyone else, so everyone else would learn. Never learnt anything though even when that happened.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    That’s all very well when I need minimums of A's in English, maths and science to get on the sixth form course I’m doing.

Did you choose the IB in the end? 'Cause if the answer is yes, that's not *strictly* true. Higher Maths, you WILL need an A in Maths, but the others aren't as strict. They're useful though :yes:.