Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Paying to see reference

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone here done that?

If you send UCAS £10 you can request a copy of your application, including your reference.... Am really quite tempted to see what my tutor wrote about me...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hehe..does your tutor find out?
    I don't think so. It comes under the data protection act, so I think that it's confidential.... but tbh, it wouldn't bother me if she did find out.. well, if she said bad things, then I wouldn't be too chuffed lol.
    I doubt I'll do it.. Tutors just say the same things about me anyway using boring words like 'Quiet, hardworking' and my top favourite from a primary school teacher 'diffident'.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Our tutor showed us our reference to see if we were happy with it etc before sending it off!
    I might ask her what she put in it. If she refuses to tell me then I'll let her know that I'll pay UCAS £10 instead...
    That's weird, i thought they were meant to show you them too. I got to see mine and friends were given a photocopy of theirs depending on who their tutor was. I'm surprised yours didn't.
    I got to see mine, i even had the option to edit mine if i wanted :lol:
    My tutor said i had a dry sense of humor, whether that is good or not i dunno :confused:
    squeal wrote: »
    My tutor said i had a dry sense of humor, whether that is good or not i dunno :confused:
    Its a nice way of saying you're not funny :razz:
    icey wrote: »
    Its a nice way of saying you're not funny :razz:

Coming from you :p
    Our tutor showed us. I remember demanding it was changed because my bitch of an English teacher had predicted me a C for my A-level grade when I was clearly going to get an A :p , she just hated me, so my tutor changed it to an A.
    We had a meeting with the head of sixth form who wrote all our references. She let us read them and we said if we agreed or disagreed with anything she had written. Those who disagreed we offered the chance to have someone else write their personal statement.

When I applied a second time a colleague at the time (senior nurse) wrote my reference and it was so lovely that I almost cried!
    I didn't get to see mine, but the first time I went to uni I had a few interviews and 3 out of the 4 places that interviewed me commented that it was the most glowing reference they'd ever read. Wish I'd found out what was in it now.