Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your-babe wrote: »
    Havent slipped up yet tonight, just came so close and scared the shit out of myself. Think i may have to get rid of my blade for good, knowing it isnt doing me any good at all just being there. Thankyou for the hugs xx

Chuck it. Just drop it in the bin (do it in a public waste bin and you cant fish it out) and get rid of it for good. If its not there you cant use it. Its a hard thing to do though, your holding on one thing that reminds you of your past, but if you can do it, it will help you a lot.
    keep it up kirsty i know you can do it-hugs

im such a retard though i gave into it last night nad harmed so badly and am in so much pain with it-i really wish i could just get out of this-just click my fingers and it would be gone

im so sorry
    keep it up kirsty i know you can do it-hugs

im such a retard though i gave into it last night nad harmed so badly and am in so much pain with it-i really wish i could just get out of this-just click my fingers and it would be gone

im so sorry

You need to look after your wounds so that they don't become more painful than they already are.
    Sofie wrote: »
    You need to look after your wounds so that they don't become more painful than they already are.

:yes: Sofie is right if you look after your wounds you can help alivate the pain and reducing scarring. Try from thesite and Recover your life if you havent already seen them.
    thanks for the support-im just messed up at the moment dont know whats going on in my head so confused sorry hope your all ok
    I attempted to cut myself last night but didn't find anything sharp enough and just ended up taking the skin off my arm. I also have what looks like shaving rash and it's so sore. Does anyone know of anything I can put on it to stop it being so painful? I've just put some cream on it but it hasn't really done anything.
    Savlon or some E45 :yes:
    Thanks. Don't have either of them. I think I have some antiseptic cream somewhere but it does say not to use it too much.

I put some Diprobase on it but didn't really do anything.
    Well, my mums told me tonight that basically she wants nothing more to do with me, and although its what i wanted, i cant help feeling upset.

In someways i wanted her to tell me this so that i could move on and live my own life, but in another way, i don't think i wanted it to come down to this. You only get one mum in life after all, and i feel i should've done more to stop this from happeining.

I feel so low. I just want it all to end. Perhaps i should do the same as she did., and try to end it all. I just don't know. Perhaps that would be for the best.
    I attempted to cut myself last night but didn't find anything sharp enough and just ended up taking the skin off my arm. I also have what looks like shaving rash and it's so sore. Does anyone know of anything I can put on it to stop it being so painful? I've just put some cream on it but it hasn't really done anything.

I would advise painkillers to take the edge off if its that bad. Keep the wounds clean and try to not upset the wound or strech the surrounding skin too much as that hurts like hell from experience.
    Thanks. It does seem be alright now. I seem to always make the mistake of cutting myself, letting the wound heal then cutting that area again.
    I feel so low. I just want it all to end. Perhaps i should do the same as she did., and try to end it all. I just don't know. Perhaps that would be for the best.

Please don't think/talk like this.
    Thanks. It does seem be alright now. I seem to always make the mistake of cutting myself, letting the wound heal then cutting that area again.

Thats a bad idea, as if you have any sort of scar tissue and you cut it again and again it will only get more painful and take longer to heal every time. I just go through phases of cutting one certain area and then changing.
    Please don't think/talk like this.

its hard not to. Im feeling so low. I was so close to doing it last night, and now after what she has said, i jus feel like it would be best all round
    hi there's this girl at work who sometimes wears sleeveless tops and shes got a lot scars on her arm. i dont know if it's self harm but i certainly wouldnt be comfortable displaying my scars.

just wondering what other people think
    hazell wrote: »
    hi there's this girl at work who sometimes wears sleeveless tops and shes got a lot scars on her arm. i dont know if it's self harm but i certainly wouldnt be comfortable displaying my scars.

just wondering what other people think

It may not be self harm - I have several scars on my arms (upper) that aren't.

Just a little update - I seem alright now. My arm seems fine now.
    It may not be self harm - I have several scars on my arms (upper) that aren't.

True. I have a lot more non SH scars then actual SH scars. Some people dont like showing them, some really dont care.
    I don't like showing mine and I always refuse to take my jumper off or will wear long sleeves because of it. TBH, if I just had the one scar then I wouldn't be that bothered as most people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that I SH or something like that.
    I can normally hide mine, but sometimes I have no choice so just hide them as well as I can. No-one seems to pick up on them though.
    scars are one of the worse thing about the self harm as they cause the lies
    scars are one of the worse thing about the self harm as they cause the lies

Indeed they do. SOme of mine have actually started fading now and are only visible if I get my skin wet.:confused:
    Indeed they do. SOme of mine have actually started fading now and are only visible if I get my skin wet.:confused:

I have a few that are like that as well. Not sure why though.
    my arms are scar free but my legs have hundreds
    i just feel my scars are too personal to show anyone - kind of like 'my little secret'.

besides i couldnt explain them - give myself away like that
    hazell wrote: »
    i just feel my scars are too personal to show anyone - kind of like 'my little secret'.

besides i couldnt explain them - give myself away like that

This is how I feel a swell. if it's just the one then it would be aliright, but I have several so it'd be much harder to explain.
    I have scars all over both my arms and a few on my legs, not many people notice them too much now though because they're years old.
    Your scars will fade and one day, you will be comfortable revealing them, believe me:yes:

I have very few scars on my arms (because when I was a self harmer, I quickly realised this was a bad idea and self harmed elsewhere). However, although the ones on my arms are visible to me, nobody else notices them. They are 4/5 years old now AND I've used many scar reduction products.

Some people are more comfortable representing who they are rather than others. I've been comfortable showing my arms for about 2 years now purely because they are barely noticable. However, I can see them. At the end of the day though, if someone does notice them and does judge me for it then they can fuck off. My scars are part of my past and make me who I am. The most noticable ones though, I hide under bracelets and a watch on the wrist I used to self harm on so I'm still not 100% confident with showing them.

I've used stupid excuses in the past when people have noticed...fell in a thorn bush, fell through a glass door, burnt myself at work, etc.

Alot of people do have non-self-harm scars though :yes:
    I've used stupid excuses in the past when people have noticed...fell in a thorn bush, fell through a glass door, burnt myself at work, etc.

I used the fell in a thorn bush one. Can't believe i said it now cos it was blatantly obvious it wasn't that. Oh the shame. But yeah at the time before they faded i didn't show them to anyone, apart from the one time i forgot and rolled my sleeves up hence the thorn excuse.
    Lacy wrote: »
    I used the fell in a thorn bush one. Can't believe i said it now cos it was blatantly obvious it wasn't that. Oh the shame. But yeah at the time before they faded i didn't show them to anyone, apart from the one time i forgot and rolled my sleeves up hence the thorn excuse.

Aye.

I used to hide mine. However, when I used to work at Mc'Donalds years back, I wore a tubigrip thing to cover them (because our sleeves were short so I used excuse of a sprained wrist) and I got called an attention seeker because it was on for about a month and people started saying stuff. However, when I took it off due to this, everyone gawped at my arm and didn't talk to me :(

I used the thorn bush excuse here I *think* (it was such a long time ago) but I think my ex who worked with me at the time told people the truth. It was a pretty rubbish excuse but its the first thing that sprung to mind :yeees:

I'm *very* lucky because mine have faded quite well.
    I'm *very* lucky because mine have faded quite well.

I'm quite lucky in the fact that mine do fade to nothing pretty quickly.

I knew of one girl in my year at school whose forearms where covered in scars by the time she was 16. There was another that carved the word bitch into one of her arms as well.
    I dont want to do this anymore. I just want to give up. I'll never be right, I'll never be able to do all the stuff that everyone else seems to be able to. Theres no point continuing.