Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A cure please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got work in a few hours and I feel soooo ill after last night. I managed to get rid of the headache but how does one get rid of that sicky feeling in your stomach and being completely brain dead? I won't be able to hack working behind a bar with alcohol until like 1am like this without throwing up or something.

Help please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I've got work in a few hours and I feel soooo ill after last night. I managed to get rid of the headache but how does one get rid of that sicky feeling in your stomach and being completely brain dead? I won't be able to hack working behind a bar with alcohol until like 1am like this without throwing up or something.

Help please?

Eat :yes:

The more good food your body can eat the less sick you feel I found. Shame is though I never feel like eating. Have something like rice pudding or toast, something that wont disagree with your stomach.

Try drinking some fresh OJ, thats good for hangovers.

And if your really feeling brave, do something greasy. Sausage, Bacon etc. I never fancy greasy food but it does help with a hangover.

Get some fresh air before you go to work. That should help

:thumb:
    I forced down some home made chilli con whatever the fuck it's called and a crunch corner. Good idea, I'll crack open the OJ now and force down some toast, cheers.

Man I feel so grim. lol
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I forced down some home made chilli con whatever the fuck it's called and a crunch corner. Good idea, I'll crack open the OJ now and force down some toast, cheers.

Ha Ha, the chilli might end up giving you the shits :lol:

I always think a Maccy D's is the best for a hangover.

OJ is the dogs for hangovers though, I used to try and drink a pint before I went to bed, used to wake up with only a slight headache.

:thumb:
    i felt the exact same yesterday....i couldnt hack it...i work in a bar aswell....so i rang in and made up a bullshit excuse that i couldnt come in....its always easier that way!
    Chips and gravy from the chippy! Does the trick everytime :D
    Bacon butty for me.

Or else hair of the dog but sure you're working and can't be at that craic!
    I always crave orange juice on a hangover, but I heard it's not really good because it's so acidic.
    This morning I had a massive hangover and stopped at mcdonalds and had an apple pie and caramel ice cream sundae (at 11am?!) and it made me feel better for about an hour.
    I usually eat some toast and honey and a cup of tea (can never seem to stomach water) when I get in after a night out, if I remember.
    I found lucozade has helped in the past..but now im associating it with hangover..plus it leaves ya teeth with a mile of plaque on youre teeth. But it certainly gives you a buzz!!
    Calvin wrote: »

Try drinking some fresh OJ, thats good for hangovers.

I can't drink OJ under normal circumstances now because it reminds me off feeling like shite on a hangover.
    a bita water always does me good and plenty of fresh air!
    if i wake up still pissed and in a good mood and have nothing planned, i usually get back on the beer and have something sensible to eat if i'm doing a big binge, if i feel shite when i wake up, i neck loads of water or whatever i can handle, have a joint and go back to bed.. and entertain myself
    salt & vinegar dairylea dunkers & a bottle of yop is the standard for me. failing that though a bacon sarny does work wonders if you can stomach it
    At the end of the day if your that bad you should have rang in sick or just faced it, you buy the ticket you take the ride, theres always a downside, it'll all cant be good.

How'd it go anyway?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a fact sheet about what exactly causes hangovers and what might make you feel better - Hangovers explained
    Shogun wrote: »
    At the end of the day if your that bad you should have rang in sick or just faced it, you buy the ticket you take the ride, theres always a downside, it'll all cant be good.

How'd it go anyway?

It wasn't that bad actually, went on a 2 night bender straight afterwards doing so much Cocaine and now I feel awful and broke.
    i think bacon sambos/a fry and water is the best thing to get rid of a hangover .. a shot or a bottle of beer when you first get up can help too, if you can stomach it .. lucozade and a few painkillers with codeine also help, as does a nice big joint :yes:

i very rarely get them thankfully, feel a bit rough today tho :(
    I feel illllll :(
    I find the best thing for a hangover is:

1x Red Bull
    2x Lucozade Hydro Active
    1x Purdy's

Red Bull gives you a quick caffine rush while the Lucozade rehydrates your body and slowly boots energy so you don't get that energy crash from the Red Bull and will also help you to stop feeling sick by replacing lost sugars. Purdy's helps replace lost vitimins. Also eating something helps loads but nothing to greasy. Also good old water.

Works a treat.
    i found anything that restores the electrolytes and rehydrates you is good. robinsons juices, poccari sweat (dont know if you can get that there...its a sports drink), lucozade.
    Makoto wrote: »
    Red Bull gives you a quick caffine rush

I could be wrong.. but I'm sure I read somewhere that caffeine makes hangovers worse...
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I could be wrong.. but I'm sure I read somewhere that caffeine makes hangovers worse...

Not sure, but I found the following on How Stuff Works....
    Coffee contains a high amount of caffeine, which is a stimulant and therefore helps fight fatigue. But when the caffeine wears off, a drinker may be even more tired than before. It can help alleviate a pounding head because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it reduces the size of blood vessels. This counteracts the effect of the alcohol, which makes them swell, making the head hurt in the first place. Unfortunately, caffeine is also a diuretic like alcohol and can make a drinker even more dehydrated than before, thereby increasing the severity of the hangover. Overall, coffee is not a good hangover cure.
    Imissed this so maybe too late but ginger is the best thing for feelign sick. Lots of water, some ginger biscuits, some milk and some pro plus :thumb: