Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Acne - Change in meds

smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
Right, Just starting a new cycle of anti-bacterial tablets called Erythromycin to help treat with Acne after coming off a course of Oxytetracycline because they did not work.

Has anyone had any experience with this medication?

And does anyone know if they affect protein synthesis?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erythromycin is a fairly common anti-biotic,particularly for penicillin allergic people. Its a different type of anti-biotic than oxytetracycline so might help you more.

No idea about the protein thing though
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Erythromycin is a fairly common anti-biotic,particularly for penicillin allergic people. Its a different type of anti-biotic than oxytetracycline so might help you more.

No idea about the protein thing though

Isn't really working for me at the moment although i am on a low dose. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day seems to be best. I wanted Accutane but my Doctor won't prescribe it to me, i think i would have to go to the dermatological department and have regular blood work done.
    I got some in a bottle only costed me about 50p

Mine is a liquid - comes in handy to dab on the odd zit.
    You mean Roaccutane.

Yes it has to be prescribed by a dermatologist and you have to have routine blood tests every so often.
    I think your doctor would have to explore other courses of treatment firstly before referring you.
    smitherz wrote: »

And does anyone know if they affect protein synthesis?

Not in us no. they target a ribosome (involved in protein synthesis) that is specific to bacteria..