Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Netgear Routers Acting like a server - HELP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay im in a right ditch.

I have one Sky Netgear ASDL Router that is in the living room and i have my Cable Netgear Rangemax router in the office.
(by tonight it will no longer have a internet connection)

I'm Wondering if i can join the 2 up with a network cable and my rangemax router act as a switch or something?

This is really important that i find out if i can connect the both together because i have a ton of network stuff connected through the rangemax in the office.

Thanks!!:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I haven't got any experience of doing it.

There are a couple of things you might need to do:

Disable NAT and/or enable bridging on the rangemax.
  • Options
    Hm would you know how to do that? Obvis i know how to disable the Wireless from broadcasting its just setting it up to recieve from the other router and sending

If i manage to do this - Its a step for my future Career
  • Options
    You may have a few routing issues. It could be possible to do what you want, depending on how you can configure the rangemax. If it allows you to fix routing tables in its config then that could be a start, because then you could push traffic through it into the sky thing.
  • Options
    Um okay thats a start, but anyone got any pictures on how/where to do this?

Im going to have a google now and get back to ya:wave:
  • Options
    Okay well..

I'VE DONE IT!!!

It acts as like a wireless switch and the internet even works!

Its such a longer story and ill post it tomorrow once i've got the settings woking on my rangemax:wave:
  • Options
    Well done!
  • Options
    This link is very useful for people that have the Sky Netgear Router, allows you to change some of the hidden settings

http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html

One very useful feature is to force the box to connect at a slower speed if you experience too many lost connections but asking it to have a higher minimum decibel level.

I've only been with Sky Broadband 2 days now but happy with it. Paying 5 pounds per month less then before and getting an extra 5mb/s speed, as well as being unlimited.
  • Options
    Cheers for that - Don't need to change none of those settings though:)

Okay what you basicaly do in order to change your router into a Hub or just general switch.

1 - Login to your router and change the IP Address to 192.168.0.225
    2 - Disable DHCP
    3 - Find out the IP address of your main router that recieves an internet connection and the gate ways ect
    4 - Then enter this information into LAN IP

5 - Connect your router via the network cable into one of the 1-4 Ports NOT the normal one. and into your other routers 1-4 Ports

Once you've done this things should start to kick in its self