Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thermal paper receipts - a word of advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you go to a certain well known retailer, where you pick stuff out of a catalogue, they give you a receipt printed on thermal paper. (Other places use it too, but this is the place in question in this instance.) If you buy anything with any kind of waranty or guarantee from anywhere that uses these kind of receipts, take a photocopy of it pretty soon and staple the original to it, because in 8 months time when the thing you bought goes wrong and you dig out the receipt to take it back, all you will find is a blank piece of paper and you won't be able to prove when you bought it. :impissed:

Honestly, they might just as well print them in invisible ink.

Comments

• Options
    I know. We're told to keep all our receipts rolls for seven years- but they're faded within one year, so really, what's the point?! :banghead:
  • Options
    The wonders of technology eh?
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    The wonders of technology eh?

I think they use dissapering ink on purpose - maplin's receipts are like those the ink disappears before the warranty finishes ..lol
  • Options
    It's time to name and shame some companies :-)
  • Options
    How crap, hope it wasn't expensive.
  • Options
    Is it Argos?

How do you tell if something is on thermal paper btw?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Is it Argos?

Its kinda shiny.

They kind train tickets are printed on.
  • Options
    Is it Argos?

Yes, it is.

Thermal paper is thin and smooth and kind of has a slight sheen on it. Once you know what it's like you can't mistake it.
  • Options
    I have returned a couple of faulty items to Argos. One was within 4 weeks and the other item was almost at the 1-year mark, i.e. the guarantee is just about to run out. Thankfully, the receipts were enough to get the items replaced, and they were still visable.
  • Options
    Argos are hilarious sometimes :) My mate works for their call centre and we love bashing them.

However. Boots use the same kind of receipts, except they fade in days. So yes, if you buy anything electrical from Boots do the same! And if you get your reciept validated to put the points on your Boots card guard it with your life, because the minute the barcode or the validation numbers start to fade you'll get tuts and sighs from the staff :lol:
  • Options
    Yeah my work does too, the don't fade to that extent though, our receipts are year guarantees for light fittings so surely they must legally last that long.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Yeah my work does too, the don't fade to that extent though, our receipts are year guarantees for light fittings so surely they must legally last that long.

Ours are year gurantees as well. But I promise you, you're lucky if they last a few weeks.
  • Options
    Buy everything online. ;) An email can't fade.
  • Options
    Co-op uses thermal paper! I checked at worktoday and held my receipts over a boiling kettle and they turned black from the heat. I don't know if they fade though, I don't think people keep them long enough to find out! :lol:
  • Options
    Buy everything online. ;) An email can't fade.

But you can lose the email though.

Actually, if you order online, don't they keep records of what you've ordered?