Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Toothache under a Filling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About a month ago I had 2 white fillings done whilst on holiday. I had used the dentist before several years ago and found him to be excellent. I both cases it was to replace an existing white filling that had come out.

but lately I feel like there's a pain in both teeth and it feels a bit sensitive to cold - anyone ever had this?

I'm wondering if perhaps there was some kind of bacteria under the filling that's starting to decay from the inside? Don't even know if such a thing is possible since a filling should cut off the oxygen. Everything looks perfectly fine just feels bit weird.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh go to the dentist! I had that once. It turned out the filling, which was probably boardering on half a decade old, had cracked or something like that, a cavity had then formed under the filling, and it led me to have a root canal (though I did wait several months as I didn't bother going in until the biyearly checkup)

IF it is in both teeth you had the filling in, it also could be possible that they did not get all of the existing cavity out the first time. Did they take xrays before filling to see how deep it was?
    my_name wrote: »
    Oh go to the dentist! I had that once. It turned out the filling, which was probably boardering on half a decade old, had cracked or something like that, a cavity had then formed under the filling, and it led me to have a root canal (though I did wait several months as I didn't bother going in until the biyearly checkup)

IF it is in both teeth you had the filling in, it also could be possible that they did not get all of the existing cavity out the first time. Did they take xrays before filling to see how deep it was?

Dunno if the pain is for real or referred pain.

In the case of the bottom tooth the whole side of the tooth had broken off years in 2001 and had a silver filling there.

The saw this chap as he came highly recommended and he removed that and replaced it with a white filling which lasted a good 3 years but then it started to crack and sink in so had it redone actually more like about 2 months ago now. Been fine for most of that time.

I can't imagine though much could have happened to the upper tooth as the cavity was really small and had been a silver filling that had come out but there was two silver fillings in the same tooth so he removed the other silver filling and made the entire tooth white and white fillings don't require much drilling as they stick like glue to the tooth rather then needing to be cemented in like a silver filling.

Feels like a sort of referred pain as sometimes it feels like the pain is in the tooth next to the actual ones done.

Anyway got some sensodyne toothpaste and will try that for a bit
    I have a couple of fillings and I got that pain on and off for about a year...if the filling is new, I wouldn't worry about it that much.
    I sometimes still get pains in my tooth from a filling I had. It's a silver one so I guess it must be conducting the cold. When I went back not long after I'd had the filling and complained the dentist "killed" (?) the nerve ending supposidly to help but it still kicks in when I have ice-cream or drinks from a fridge, oh and I NEVER have ice in my drinks when I go out now unless its a warm day and I know they'll melt quickly.
    Woke up like at 2am cos there was a power failure and all the alarms in the road started to ring ... I notice my cheek next to my fillings hurt this morning - I'm wondering is it's perhaps that I'm just sleeping funny at night and putting lots of pressure on my cheek and that translating into tooth pain?
    Go back to your dentist. It shouldn't be hurting after a month. If you think they didn't drill deep enough to cause a problem with the nerve then it could be that the filling is built up too high, causing trauma to the periodontal ligament or there might be a problem with the bonding. Go back!
    Ha Ha the dentist I saw was abroad ...

So going back would involve a rather expensive airfare.

However ... I think I track the pain down not so much to the tooth but the gap in-between where the two bottom teeth meet - I think I have a tiny pocket in my gums where food collects and always have to use floss to clear it but think it's there that the problem is (i.e. in the gum not the actual tooth) .. don't know if there's an actual way to fill a gap in the gum as you can with teeth.

Rinsed with some diluted TCP and feel a lot better but only a temp solution ..
    xsazx wrote: »
    Dont think there will be afriad ive got quite a few gaps like that and teeth with really deep ridges, dentist said there wasnt alot they could do except give you small flossing tools and mouthwashes to use regulary

Yeah I think a dentist said that to me once too like 6 years ago .. never used to have problems until I went to a dentist and hen all of a sudden got problems ...

Don't really trust most dentists .. I was abroad once and met a group of like 10 student dentists on holiday and they all said the same thing .. the first thing they train you to do is leave a little something undone so you get repeat business :eek2:

I have seen there is a mouthwash out there that is supposed to help gum tissue to heal faster, will try and find the link again .. may be useful to some people.
    Ha Ha the dentist I saw was abroad ...

So going back would involve a rather expensive airfare.

So where do you go twice a year? :confused: Is he your regular dentist?

Leaving something undone for repeate business is the most ridecelous thing I've ever heard. YOu need to go to the dentist regularly, thats repeat business, if they suck you find a new dentist and they get no more business... were your friends drunk while talking about this? :p
    Most people I know go to the dentist when something starts to hurt.

I'd say most of my visits to the dentist have happened when a old filling fell out. I'm pretty good at looking after my teeth. I don't smoke, floss and use mouth wash (but not too much).

He wasn't my friend but yeah he had a few which only makes me suspect he'd be more truthful.
    I had pain underneath a filling and ignored it. But what had happened was my tooth was decaying under the filling and the back of the tooth then broke off. I went to the dentist and he took the filling out, cleaned it up and re-filled it, building up back of the tooth again. If it had been worse or if i get pain in it again ill have to have a root filling in it.