Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age to have a baby?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there is no right/wrong age to have a baby. But what would you say it is??

Would you say it depends on the age or the situation??

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I know there is no right/wrong age to have a baby. But what would you say it is??

Would you say it depends on the age or the situation??

Totally depends on the situation.

For me, I am 24 and although I am married and stuff, I am not in the right situation to have a child.

Whereas, someone I know was 24 and completely at the right stage in her life for a babba.

Why do you ask?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say there's a right situation to have a baby, not a right age. (Though especially old or young people are less likely to be in that situation). Equally, it shouldn't be a problem if a baby isn't born in the right situation, it should always be welcome, even if it's not the best time. Ideally though, you'd be madly in love with the person you're having it with, have a stable life together, and have the resources and maturity to handle the responsibility. That's my opinion anyway.
    Totally depends on the situation.

For me, I am 24 and although I am married and stuff, I am not in the right situation to have a child.

Whereas, someone I know was 24 and completely at the right stage in her life for a babba.

Why do you ask?

:yes:

My Mum had me when she was 21 years old but by then, she owned a house with my Dad, my Dad had a good job and had been married for 3 years.
    It depends on the age and situation, to different degrees for different people. I think there are advantages to certain ages and situations, but if you don't happen to be at what is decided the "ideal" age or in the right situation it doesn't mean you're heading for disaster. I think at times people take their ability to have children for granted and get a bit too caught up in this buzz attitude of everything being "right" (age, situation, finances etc).

It's horses for courses though, as their parents having life experience and job/financial/relationship security are fantastic benefits to any child. You just have to weigh it all up for yourself.

I'll be starting my family at 21 so of course I think the best age, but I'm incredibly biased... and I doubt many people would agree with me :)
    :yes:

My Mum had me when she was 21 years old but by then, she owned a house with my Dad, my Dad had a good job and had been married for 3 years.

:thumb: Same here.
    I don't think theres a particular age although if i knew then what i know now i wouldhave waited a few more years.
    I was 23 when i got pregnant.
    I agree with everyone else, it is not age but your situation that makes a difference...as shown by this family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=445738&in_page_id=1879

:shocking:
    I agree with everyone else, it is not age but your situation that makes a difference...as shown by this family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=445738&in_page_id=1879

:shocking:

That's in the paper this morning, poor woman. She cried for two days when she found out she was having twins, she was probably suicidal when they said she was having triplets.
    Yep I agree with everyone else. There isn't a right age but there are situations that are far more appropriate than others.

For me I'll have to have been working for a few years, have my own house, be in a stable relationship and be able to afford to bring a kid into the world without having to skimp and scrape to look after them.
    I had Abbie at 23, I dont think there is ever an "ideal" time to have kids because no matter how prepared you think you are, you never are.
    Glittery wrote: »
    I had Abbie at 23, I dont think there is ever an "ideal" time to have kids because no matter how prepared you think you are, you never are.

I think I agree. There is no 'ideal' time or situation. Not everyone who has a kid has to have a husband, live in a house in the suburbs and have a steady job. People's situations vary for whatever reason and I've met people my age (20) who are incredibly maternal and either have a baby or want a baby.
    I don't there is actually a 'right' age to have children. I think alot of it does depend on how long you've been together and your finacial situation.

My mum first became pregnant at the age of 21. She lost the baby and had my brother at 23 and me at 25.
    there's no right age - it depends on the individual and their individual circumstances. personally, i want kids in my very late 20s/early 30s - but who knows!
    i dont think there is a right age, the age someone wants to have kids totally depends on who they are and what they want. some of my friends had kids at 17/18 and they are brilliants mums and cope alot better than people i know who are older. its everyone to their own really
    i think it depends on whether the person feels they'd be able to cope or not, my mum had my sister at 16 and had me at 18 and although she was a young mum she was brilliant, where as im 22 but still dont feel ready for a baby yet, so everyones different
    Agree with everyone else about the situation being more important than age. My mum had me when she was 35 which I guess is quite late but I would never say she's not in touch with young people or anything, and we have a good relationship. Most of my friends parents had them in their
    30's too. Personally I'd probably want children in my late 20's, I dunno, it just depends how life pans out which is different for everyone.
    Definitely situation. My mum had me when she was 19, but was married/house etc. I on the other hand am nearly 21 and can't see myself having a baby for a good few years (if ever). Theres plenty of people my age with kids and good luck to them, but i prefer going out and having a good time to cleaning up after some snivelly infant.
    I know this isn't really relevent but I thought you were much older than that Lacy :p
    I know this isn't really relevent but I thought you were much older than that Lacy :p

Unfortunately not. I was dealt the hand of being born in 1986.
    I left school in '86 :(

As for the OP, there is no right time for having a child. You will never be able to "afford" it, so it's more a case of finding the "best" time to be able to ffer the child the most supportive environment to prosper in...