Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Money Saving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not too sure if this has been done before but I thought that it would be a good idea to share our knowledge of money saving ideas and tips whether it be discount codes or really good bargains.

can you tell that I am skint and need to save money!? :)

My first tip would be pigsback.com

Points saved by clickthroughs, buying through the site and entering competitions can be exchanged for vouchers etc.

I am really trying to save money this year and pay off my debt. (MoneySavingExpert has really helped!) So your ideas could help me and others. Keep 'em rolling!

Comments

• Options
    I signed up for pigsback, but then never sent me my free squiggy stress pigs for signing up so not going on it again :mad:

Money Saving Expert is a cracking site, it check it every so often, but always miss out on when sites mess up and everyone manages to take advantage of it.

Like when hundreds of people got a Samsung X830 off the o2 site for free a month or so back :banghead:
  • Options
    My best ever money-saving scheme was to really strictly budget myself. For example, take out £50 on monday and make it last the week. You save an awful lot- it makes you realise how much unnecessary crap you were buying.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    My best ever money-saving scheme was to really strictly budget myself. For example, take out £50 on monday and make it last the week. You save an awful lot- it makes you realise how much unnecessary crap you were buying.

that is exactly what I am doing now and it really helps. Once bills and neccessities have been paid I give myself £25 cash at the beginning of the week and do not use my debit card. I cannot believe that I used to spend about £15 a day on things like lunch, drinks etc.
  • Options
    Unbelievable isn't it. I started doin it when I was changing bank accounts (they warned me there may be a few days between one account closing and another one opening) so i took out £60 which i HAD to make last. It was only then that I realised how much I used to spend on my lunch break on nothing in particular.
  • Options
    I'm not even going there... I live on MSE, especially on the Ol' style board :love::love::love:
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote,
    My best ever money-saving scheme was to really strictly budget myself...

Interesting, I posted an article about this subject on my blog recently, you can check it out by clicking my blog link below.

Yep, you dont need a lot of money to look after yourself, the reason we spend so much money is because we lack self control.
  • Options
    Looking into a high interest CD Or putting away even 20 a month into a savings account. Small amounts can add up very quickly, and such things like a CD will keep you from using that money, just in case. My bank offers a free savings account that automatically deducts a set amount from your checking account into your savings every month. Its actually called the student account :p I thought that seemed like a nifty idea.

I actually found a high interest online savings account and since then have been keeping x amount in the checking account, an amount I know will suffice for the entire month, bills and credit card payments included and put the rest in there, as the stupid checking account gives me .025% interest :\
  • Options
    my_name - what do you mean by CD?
    My bank offers a free savings account that automatically deducts a set amount from your checking account into your savings every month.

This seems like a good idea.
  • Options
    It stands for certificate of deposit. But its pretty much just a savings tool. You put away x amount of money for x amount of time. Usually anywhere from 1 month to 5 years. They generally have much higher interest rates than regular accounts. Though, if you do want to withdraw money from it, there are penalties. Here are two examples:

(I do apologize, I'm pretty sure you don't have these banks, but I didn't know of any specific ones over there to look up ;))
    http://home.ingdirect.com/products/products.asp?s=OrangeCD
    http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/personal/products_and_services/savings/CD_Rate_Specials.cfm?src=homedropdown

As another downfall though, you can leave your money in there past the maturity date, but they will automatically renew it for the same time frame and most often give you a very low interest rate, often less than half of that you originally had so you have to pay particular attention to when those dates come around.
  • Options
    Oh I found some calculators that might be usefull (again, I apologize for the $ but I'm sure it would work the same if you just ignore that part ;)

budget calculator

the main page
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    This seems like a good idea.

You could just set up a direct debit from a current account to a savings account for a set amount each month, which in effect would be the same thing.
  • Options
    Cut your bank card up, dont go out and live under a rug.
  • Options
    quidco.co.uk is good if youre ever buying anything online you can usually get a percentage of it back.

I do as said above, get £50 at the beginning of the week and it has to last. Though for the past few weeks it's beeen £20 and now i have exactly £2.60. Can't wait for april to come round so i can get paid.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Cut your bank card up, dont go out and live under a rug.

I hope you mean credit card, not debit card... you could be in a little trouble otherwise. ;)

I just don't spend what I don't have (OK its easy for me at the moment cos I don't have any bills to pay really); but budgeting really does help. Working out how much money you're going to have to spend on the bills and stuff, then working how how much you need for food and nessessities and then whatevers left you either save or treat yourself to something with. :)
    I have an ISA, which I don't let myself touch... not saving for anything in particular... it's just back-up really. Peace of mind knowing its there if I ever need it.
    I also don't have any credit cards.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I hope you mean credit card, not debit card... you could be in a little trouble otherwise. ;)

I just don't spend what I don't have (OK its easy for me at the moment cos I don't have any bills to pay really); but budgeting really does help. Working out how much money you're going to have to spend on the bills and stuff, then working how how much you need for food and nessessities and then whatevers left you either save or treat yourself to something with. :)
    I have an ISA, which I don't let myself touch... not saving for anything in particular... it's just back-up really. Peace of mind knowing its there if I ever need it.
    I also don't have any credit cards.

Nope, all cards. Living under a rug chip and pin is not required. :naughty:
  • Options
    Get the new Barclays ISA. Has something like 6.5% APR.

Like everyone else said, get out a set amount each week. But on weeks where you don't spend it all, make sure you put the leftovers in the ISA, rather than spending it on treats. I always though if I have a debit card, I won't get a tenner out, then spend the change on crap, so I'll save money, but it didn't work like that. I actually find that not knowing how much I've spent on my credit card makes me spend less with that and my debit card, since I have to play it safe (it's set up to pay the full bill by direct debit every month, so there needs to be enough in my main account). Of course you need some self control to do that, so I wouldn't bother if you're a bit of an impulse buyer.

Check your regular outgoings to see if you're paying for things you don't need (like are you regularly falling way short of the number of minutes/texts you pay for, or paying insurance for something which is already covered by something else).

Use this when buying a DVD, and this when buying a CD. The best websites I ever found.

Find which supermarket brand things you like, and buy them instead of branded stuff. Sometimes you can tell the difference, but they're often the same product in different packets.