Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contraceptive injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been looking in to this today and read quite a bit of information and was just wondering if anybody in here is on it? and if so what kind of side effects have you have ive heard that it can give you headaches make you put on weight and all of that but i was just wondering how common these side effects are?
Im currently on the pill but as im quite forgetful i forget about it and then take it on quite late after the time im suppose to take it which a bit risky so i am thinking about the injection as i think that would be better for me

Comments

• Options
    I was on Depo (the 3 month one) for a bit over 2 years. I gained more weight when on the pill (though I'm sure it wasn't from the pill at all) I was a bit of an unbalanced freak, but again, I think it went away quicker than what happened when I was on the pill :p

Alot of people I came into contact with stopped getting their period while the shot but I never did :( All in all it was ok. Thinking back, my only real problem with it was I never could remember when to go back to get it again. The doctor always had to call me and tell me I'm late.
  • Options
    Thye only thing im really worried about is putting on weight lol il just have to try not to give in to any cravings that i gives me lol
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    Thye only thing im really worried about is putting on weight lol il just have to try not to give in to any cravings that i gives me lol

My Girlfriend has been on it since we started having sex about 3½ years ago, and she's not put on any weight, hasn't suffered from headaches or sickness.

The period thing seems different in everybody, some girls carry on as normal, some just have a few days of very heavy bleeding towards the end of the three months, then others have a constant light spotting all the way through, which my girlfriend had to put up with for about 6/9 months after about a year of going on it, but now she's generally fine, just with a few *random* days here and there :confused:

As you probably know another plus over the pill is if you vomit after taking it you don't need to worry about it not working, also antibiotics don't affect it, however one word of caution, that doesn't mean all medication doesn't, so if you're on it and are put on any medication you'll still have to check with your doctor (to ensure they aren't enzyme inducing) that it won't affect it.
    (Sorry perhaps i'm just saying what is common knowledge, but if not there you go!)

I think they say after 2 years you're supposed to have a 6 month break from it for various reasons, it's something one of the woman at the clinic my girlfriend goes to brings up each time she goes, but the nurse she talks to there has said she doesn't need to worry about it, and she's spoke to her GP about it, and he advised her to stay on it, so again just something to consider.

Personally we find it to be the easiest method, just one appointment every three months to get a prick in the arse, then 30 seconds putting an alarm in your phone for the next appointment.
  • Options
    I have had it for the past 3 months. Got a few spots to start with but they have gone now and did not have a bleed when I should have. It is only now that my body is used to it.
  • Options
    The only side affects that I got was that I didnt have a period for the entire time I was on it (a year). Was nice at first, but then it freaked me out...I used to get moody as well, and the injection hurt my arse for days as well! Took my body so long to get it out of my system, so I'm on the implant now...So much easier, coz now I dont have to remember every 3 months to go back.
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    So much easier, coz now I dont have to remember every 3 months to go back.

That's just lazy girl!

You just set one alarm on your phone for in three months time, it takes 10 seconds to do! Or stick the card they give you in your purse!

Still if it prevents you having a pregnancy scare it's all good :thumb: and that's the main thing.

But you're right they do say it takes a while to get it out of your body, if you've been on it a while i think they claim it could take up to 2 years to be all back to normal and stuff again. (I think i must be mistaken, 2 years is an awful long time?!)
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    That's just lazy girl!

You just set one alarm on your phone for in three months time, it takes 10 seconds to do! Or stick the card they give you in your purse!

Still if it prevents you having a pregnancy scare it's all good :thumb: and that's the main thing.

But you're right they do say it takes a while to get it out of your body, if you've been on it a while i think they claim it could take up to 2 years to be all back to normal and stuff again. (I think i must be mistaken, 2 years is an awful long time?!)

Wasn't really laziness, It was i'd just a case where i'd forget to set a reminder or lose my appointment card and then forget about it and then panic when I was overdue. So now i've got the implant, I dont have to worry about anything until I want to get pregnant BUT whatever, It's all good now!:thumb:
  • Options
    That's just lazy girl!

2 years is correct, i only know that because we had a sex ed day at school. Depending on the length of time your on it, it can take up to 2 years in some people in the worst case. the implant sounds fairly easy and probably better than a needle in the arse in my opinion
  • Options
    The implant can be a bit nasty to insert and is not always a good option for a girl/woman who wants the fact that she is on birth control to remain hush becuase it can often be seen in the arm, like a hair slide under the arm. This is OK if you are going to say "yes that in the contraceptive implant" but otherwise it could cause some tricky situations.

I think the pill is the best option if possible to take on time and if the girl can swallow pills and remember and all that stuff.
    Otherwise I think the injection or the coil seems/is pretty good.
  • Options
    Im not on the injection but from what I have seen from other people one of the major side-effects is weight gain.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote: »
    Im not on the injection but from what I have seen from other people one of the major side-effects is weight gain.

Users claim that with the pill, implant or any of the hormonal contraceptives.

Despite numorous surveys suggesting cases of this are far rarer and less extreme than everybody believes.
  • Options
    I've had the injection on and off for five years. I had it again today infact.
    I have two friends who also have had it in the past, I'm the only one who was happy with it. One friend had a constant period the entire time she was on it and I cannot remember what problems the other encountered but she was not happy with it at all.

Sorry, not trying to put you off here! Basically trying to say it seems more people have problems with it than not, but I would definately recommend you give it a try.
    Yes it can take up to 2 years for your body to completely return to normal, but I would assume that would be after years and years of being on it. One injection won't take that long to resume normality if you don't like it.

I think they say after 2 years you're supposed to have a 6 month break from it for various reasons, it's something one of the woman at the clinic my girlfriend goes to brings up each time she goes, but the nurse she talks to there has said she doesn't need to worry about it, and she's spoke to her GP about it, and he advised her to stay on it, so again just something to consider.

What I think Mr Orange is reffering to here is the risk of osteoporsis (thinning of the bones). This has only recently been discovered as a potenial risk and how dangerous it is is currently unknown. But it is certainly recommended you up your intake of calcium while on it, and it is best to take breaks from it occasionally. Your doctor will probably go through all this with you anyway.

Haven't really noticed any side effects myself, but like I said lots of other people do get them. But the only way you will know if it's right for you is to try it.

I do know quite abit about it so please ask if you have any more questions and i'll try and help :wave:
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    The implant can be a bit nasty to insert and is not always a good option for a girl/woman who wants the fact that she is on birth control to remain hush becuase it can often be seen in the arm, like a hair slide under the arm.

:confused: Where've you heard that? It's very rare that you can actually see the implant - you can certainly feel it, but only if you know where you're feeling for it. I have it, and several girls I know have it and you certainly can't see ours.

Also, it's ridiculously easy to insert considering what it is. I probably spent 10 mins in the chair having it done, and that included the time to confirm I wanted it and which arm, and give the anaesthetic chance to kick in. :)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    :confused: Where've you heard that? It's very rare that you can actually see the implant - you can certainly feel it, but only if you know where you're feeling for it. I have it, and several girls I know have it and you certainly can't see ours.

Also, it's ridiculously easy to insert considering what it is. I probably spent 10 mins in the chair having it done, and that included the time to confirm I wanted it and which arm, and give the anaesthetic chance to kick in. :)

I have only HEARD it. Some friend of mine knows someone who has it and she said she could tell what it was just from sitting next to her at college, you could see the implant in her arm.

Might just be the rarity like you say. :)

Sorry if I put anyone off (can you tell it was my last last option, the thought makes me shiver lol) :razz: