Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats the Scariest Film You've ever seen?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hostel.

It was about torture. I had my face hiding in someone else's arms for half of film, nearly broke the guy's necklace and almost ripped his shirt (because I kept jumping and grabbing onto things :lol:).

Not the best film to watch on a date :no:

I don't tend to watch scary films often though, they aren't my sorta thing.

I found Hostel gross but not actually scary.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Oooo....um...Wicker Man's a bit creepy....but not 'scary' as such....but another film that really scared me? 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman...honestly!! :D

It's just the Psychological element of it...the 'flip' at the end really freaked me out.....and still gives me shivers if I think about it!!! :nervous:

Lol I can't take that film seriously because I watched it in my Film Studies class last year and we all just took the piss out of it. It was kinda wierd and freaky when you see all those people in animal costumes wondering around the town though.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol I can't take that film seriously because I watched it in my Film Studies class last year and we all just took the piss out of it. It was kinda wierd and freaky when you see all those people in animal costumes wondering around the town though.

The freakiest thing somehow is that scene where (is it Britt Ekland?) is banging on the wall trying to seduce him....dunno...just seems eery!! :D

Ooooo....Straw Dogs is freaky AS too.....amazing film!!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Has to be the original Texas Chainsaw Masacre. That first shot of the boy getting hit on the head with a hatchet and dragged into the torture room is haunting. Re-make was shite.
  • Options
    IWS - I have seen Straw Dogs back in the mists of time. I've read the book it was based on/adapted from which was excellent, but I'm not too sure about the film as I basically can't remember much other than the weirdos in the pub etc. Think I'd need to watch it again - or it is one of these "controversial" films that is actually a steaming pile of turd?

I seem to remember a pretty awful and extended rape scene in it which I do know has been isolated in a lot of feminist theory as being misogynistic and depicting the wife character enjoying the rape. At least I think that is this film. You've seen it, I assume? What's your view?
  • Options
    I am such a wuss when it comes to scary films... but I'm gettin better!!! Back when i was a proper chicken, eight legged freaks scared me!!!! :blush:

Now though, i found what lies beneath not scary as such, but really jumpy. (Think thats the right film... where she's paralysed in the bath?).

Hostel was pretty damn grim!!! The bit where he gets off the chair to walk out the door after having tghe back of his ankles cut proper made me cringe
  • Options
    Sounds like the perfect film to watch on a date to me. Maybe not with a guy that wears necklaces though. :p

It was a chain :p Not a girly necklace.

But yes,he really wanted to watch THAT film. I wasn't allowed to watch my choice - Ice Age 2!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know why! :lol:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    IWS - I have seen Straw Dogs back in the mists of time. I've read the book it was based on/adapted from which was excellent, but I'm not too sure about the film as I basically can't remember much other than the weirdos in the pub etc. Think I'd need to watch it again - or it is one of these "controversial" films that is actually a steaming pile of turd?
    Nah, it's a class film.
    briggi wrote: »
    I seem to remember a pretty awful and extended rape scene in it which I do know has been isolated in a lot of feminist theory as being misogynistic and depicting the wife character enjoying the rape. At least I think that is this film. You've seen it, I assume? What's your view?
    You know how it got that reputation? The censors cut it to shit, and the bits they left in made it look like she was enjoying it. A classic example of why censors shouldn't exist when it comes to 18-rated films. One accusation is that the film makes out that she encourages it though (she appears topless in front of them in the window, knowing they're looking on, for example), and it's obvious that there is some history between the characters.
  • Options
    The Descent...I shat.
  • Options
    Wolf Creek....was scary for the fact that its a true story and that the killer is still out there!
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    :lol: I think the original omen is quality, its just pure comedy. Best death scene ever in that film - a van carrying panes of glass skids off the road making one of the panes slide off, cut off the head of this guy then go through another window. How do you even make that stuff up!?

I think I actual laughed quite hard at that death as it was sooo far fetched.

The first Saw film did creep me out a bit though (mainly the cutting the foot off scene)
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    The first time I ever saw "IT" it scared the shit out of me... I was only young though.

Man same ere .. when i was younger ...

it-pennywise-howling.jpg
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Oooo....um...Wicker Man's a bit creepy....but not 'scary' as such....but another film that really scared me? 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman...honestly!! :D

It's just the Psychological element of it...the 'flip' at the end really freaked me out.....and still gives me shivers if I think about it!!! :nervous:

Don't worry you're not the only one, that scared the crap outta me! Granted I was home alone sat in the dark, that always makes a difference. I'm a wimp when it comes to horrors, especially ones about ghostly things. The bit where they go into a room at night and theres the old lady is it? Sat on the floor and she goes crazy or something, there was a doll involved i think..... I can hardly remember what happened but fuck did that scare me.

I have a thing about horror films, i seem to like to torture myself with them. I reallly want to watch them, but then i do and im terrified and most the time I have to put the light on. Then afterwards I'm even more scared. So I tell myself Im never watching one again. But then I do. Kind of like when you have a hangover and say you're never drinking again, but the next day there you are in the pub! It's a love/hate thing.

Does anyone else find ghost/supernatural films more scary than slasher style films? I think it's cuz i sort of believe in those things and if they are real they're like something you can't escape. A secure house won't keep out the ghouls..... fuck i'm scaring myself just thinking about it :shocking:
  • Options
    Does anyone else find ghost/supernatural films more scary than slasher style films? I think it's cuz i sort of believe in those things and if they are real they're like something you can't escape. A secure house won't keep out the ghouls..... fuck i'm scaring myself just thinking about it :shocking:

Woooooooooooooooooo

And yeah, The Others is that one where Nicole Kidman turns goes to grab her kid, and realises she's turned into an old woman.
  • Options
    The bit where they go into a room at night and theres the old lady is it? Sat on the floor and she goes crazy or something, there was a doll involved i think..... I can hardly remember what happened but fuck did that scare me.

The mother (Nicole Kidman) goes into the room where her daughter is sitting on the floor playing with a puppet doll facing away from her. She's got a white veil over her head. Then she turns round to face the mother and it's actually this old horrible looking woman. That's the only really creepy bit in that film though.
  • Options
    ^

Ooops, I replied before i saw I'm With Stupid's post.
  • Options
    Honestly, I would have to say Scary Movie 3.
    I didn't really find the movie scary but the atmosphere was horrid. I went to the last showing at the cinema on a weekend with my sister and a friend. When we got there they were shuting the doors ready to close up and looked disappointed we had come along. We bought tickets and the staff all left except one. So we went to the screen as the only customers in the entire cinema. We sat near the screen but that was too scary because when we turned around the guy had his head in the projection window staring at us! That made me so nervous so we sat at the back. When we left he had gone and it was just a security guard at the door to let us out, all the doors had been locked and the lights turned off. We had to leave in the pitch black.

Actually scary films, Im a wimp and would have to say Saw. While pan's labyrinth had me shivering. That horrid monster with the eyes in his hands uttely terrified me. There was also that guy at the start who was stapped repeatedly. I found that quite gruesome even if you didn't get to see much on screen.
  • Options
    Ohh a Soth Korean film called Sympathy for Lady Vengeance pretty much fucked me up for the night. I don't want to ruin it but there is one scene of a child killer murdering a little girl by hanging her. All you see are her legs standing on a stool and pleading with the killer but seriously that's enough.

It's one of the most mindblowing films I've ever seen but I really don't think I could watch it again.
  • Options
    I've heard thats a creepy film, however, the one before that called sympathy for mr vengeance was kind of boring. so unless Its on film 4 for free at a reasonable hour, I doubt I'll see it.
  • Options
    I havent seen sympathy for mr vengeance but I really want to see Oldboy!
  • Options
    oh thats a top film
    I love oldboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwmJE3q7jPI

my favorite bit
  • Options
    I don't really scare with blood and guts movies so as entertaining as "The Dead" movies are and other zombie flicks like 28 Days Later they don't really scare me (Apart from the odd jump moment). Likewise the Saw trilogy and Final Destination are more blood and shock tactics to scare than stuff to think about and thats the way "horror" movies have drifted towards in the last few years. Fling some rubber guts and fake blood about and that will scare people.

The Alien movies are great for tense action and have a nice level of blood/guts thrown in for balance.

The old horror movies (The Omen, Exorcist, Poltergiest) were good at the time but I've watched them since and not as good or scary as I remember. Must be the old age.

I prefer the head fuck movies. The ones that keep you glued to the screen cause you have no real idea what's happening. Se7en was a great movie for that cause it was believable and Kevin Spacey was amazingly scary.

The Grudge and The Ring (And I'm talking about the original Japanese versions here not them crappy Hollywood remakes) touch every raw nerve in your body and have your mind wandering for a while afterwards. Highly recommended if you don't mind watching in Japanese with English subtitles. You can get the DVD's with English dubbed over the top but it loses some of it's atmosphere I think.

Stephen King's IT for me was one of the most scariest things I ever watched and the book was even scarier as it delved into the mind a little bit more. I'm gonna have to hunt out my copy and make the wife sit down and watch it one night as I don't believe she has ever had the delight.

:D
  • Options
    I think The Ring was the most overrated horror film since Halloween. There's not a single scary moment throughout, and I can't say I thought about it for a second afterwards. It's shit as a straight horror film, and it's shit as a psychological one too.
  • Options
    I think The Ring was the most overrated horror film since Halloween.

You talking about the remake or the original Japanese version?
  • Options
    The Japanese one.
  • Options
    The Japanese one.

Each to their own I suppose. Isn't that what makes life so interesting? :p
  • Options
    The Birds, mainly cause I've always had a bit of phobia about shitloads of birds/scurrys coming down and pecking me.

Poltergiest gave me the fucking willies too. I remember in the last day of 3rd year Geography our teacher let us either watch Poltergiest or Four Weddings, and every cunt and their dog voted for Poltergiest. There's something about little kids in horror films that gives me the heeby jeebies big stylee :grump:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Poltergiest gave me the fucking willies too.

What freaked me out was when the little girl was missing and the parents were asking where she was and that voice when she answered was spooooooky.
  • Options
    The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, hands down the most disturbing thing I'd ever seen. Beyond the metal door killing the whole end of the film is simply rank, filled with abuse and an all pervading sense of misery and unpleasantness. If anyone has a dvd version check out the extras as well - the 'bloopers' pretty much show how horrible the whole film making was, something that seeps into the film.

IT I found horrible as well - but that's because clowns are fundamentally scary if you ask me.

Briggi, well worth checking out Straw Dogs. Definately one of Peckinpah's best. It's uncomfortable and nasty but most modern femininst film theory sees the uncut version as a particularly realisitic view of a complex rape. As mentioned the BBFC's cuts to the scene essentially throw together two sexual acts - one that had a level of consent, one that is rape. By cutting most of the transition they managed to make it look like the rape was both buggery and consented to.

Mind you thats not to say the film isn't mysognisitc - but then that's the whole point - it's a film about a mysgonist and the ruin that brings him. When drinking Peckinpah could find some truth in his films, even if he didn't realise he was doing it.

Anyway, back on topic again - I'd agree with others who mentioned Wolf Creek - I guess what I really hate is that sense of utter hopelessness that Wolf Creek and TCM both have.
  • Options
    JimV: you mentioned the guinea pig films in another thread, are they as bad as they say or are they just shocking instead of scary?