Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First day at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So basically ... if you're working, how was your first day? Were you expected to jump in the deep end and solve problems, or did it take the whole day to complete HR documents and files? Perhaps you sat doing nothing due to not having a working PC?

TELL ME!

As for me, 10 years ago, my first day was pretty easy going - meeting the teams, sitting around chatting to new colleagues and was taken to the pub for lunch by some guy who claimed he was the boss (turns out he was just a brown-nosed ****)

So yes, the reason I asked ... I start a new job on Monday morning, and am curious, and slightly nervous as it's been a long time!

Comments

• smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Depends mate, I have been chucked in the deep end before but really they shouldn't do that, thats not a very good way to start things off. I would approach it not thinking about what is going to happen !
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    smitherz wrote: »
    Depends mate, I have been chucked in the deep end before but really they shouldn't do that, thats not a very good way to start things off. I would approach it not thinking about what is going to happen !

Oh I'm more curious than anything - I wouldn't mind being chucked in at the deepend though - kind of like that :)
    Are you going into training first, or right on the job?

The general rule is that it's never as bad as you think it'll be. The first couple of days are always a bit weird, but you'll soon settle in no bother. People are more often that not quite understanding of new people and they'll help you find your feet.

First day of training for me was fine, just a bit of a get to know each other session complete with patronising ice breaker games. First day on the job was alright too, a sort of "just do what you can" attitude, and people were quite relaxed and all that jazz.

You'll feel fucking weird cause you were in the old job for so long, but let it wash over youm get over the first week or so then you'll feel at home in no time.

Good luck with it anyway chief, let us know how you get on :thumb:
    My first day at my job (although it's a one day a week thing, not really a proper job haha) I was very much chucked in at the deep end. I was hired as a Christmas Temp at Boots and after 15 mins of being shown the basics how the till worked I was expected to start serving the angry and stressed Christmas shoppers. :D

I suppose they can't afford to waste time training staff they're only keeping on for til the end of December though. (I am still there like....) :) They keep having a go at me for doingthings I'm not actually trained in, like manual handling, but I had to learn for Christmas anyway :D I'm sure you'll be fine, and good luck! (It's a short week next week after all ;))
    Mine was gradual training, and it took a while before they would trust me to do everything right. About 3 weeks, I reckon. Everyone was really nice, because they all understand what it's like being new :yes:.
    My first day the person that interviewed me took me on a tour of the shop and showed me where everything was; and introduced me to as many people as possible... Then she showed me the different tasks I would be asked to do and how to do them (exept the till training) and then handed me over to one of the team members to do the first task together. Then the next hour I was given something to do by myself. I was till trained the second time I went in so I wouldn't be over-loaded with information.
    That was 4/5 weeks ago... Still learning the ropes tbh. :)

I enjoyed the first day though, they sort of settled me in gently but without making it really boring, if you see what I mean.
    My first day was basic safety training and then I was taken to my department and told to just watch one of my colleagues. She was really cool and did things really slowly to show me how to do it and she even ordered something she didn't need to show me how to do it.

I was told that for a newbie I was really confident so I was really chuffed with that. Although I guess being a sales assistant isn't as challenging as entering a career position.

Hope it went well :)