Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New potatoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What else can you do with new potatoes apart from boil them?

I'm cooking for my boyfriend tonight and I have a load of new potatoes but wanted to do something different with them as a side dish. Does anyone have any ideas?! Was thinking of some kind of potato layered creamy thing or something but I guess that's more for old potatoes.

Anyone got any ideas please? :)

Comments

• Options
    Roasted with garlic & rosemary?
  • Options
    Same with any other potatoes. They taste better boiled though with a bit of butter running through them. :yum:
  • Options
  • Options
    i use them in spaghetti genovese (pesto, new potatos and green beans - 2 pot :D ), spanish omlette with pepper and onion, or potato salad is the yummiest

you could boil them and make them into crushed potatoes, very popular in resteraunts trying to be swanky, you often get things served on top of 'new potato crush'. you can add flavours then and its a nice texture because the skins are on
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Roasted with garlic & rosemary?

Do you have to use fresh herbs or dried?

How long do you put them in the oven for and on what heat?

Thanks!
  • Options
    If I want something a bit nicer with them, often boil them and then cover them in a minted butter...taste lovely then.
  • Options
    I know it's a bit late but since my fella showed me the light I am convinced THE best way to cook new potatoes is hasselback-style :)

You are supposed to peel them but I prefer the skin left on (and peeling new taties is a pain in the arse) and then slice through them further than halfway down but not all the way through. Best picture I could find:

hasselbk.gif

Grease an ovenproof pan with butter or oil, whack your potatoes in and brush them with butter (or oil) using a pastry brush. Salt and pepper as usual and then put them into the oven for 25-30 mins. Take them out, brush them with butter and season again. If you want to add breadcrumbs or different herbs or put cheese on top then that's the time to do it. Then they go back into the oven for 10-15 minutes or however long it takes for them to cook. They fan out naturally as they cook so they look pretty impressive as well as tasting like heaven because the butter seeps right through :yum:
  • Options
    My mum does them so nice, roasted in some oil, with rosemary and garlic like someone has already posted. They are soooo delicious. Really lovely eaten cold aswell.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late but since my fella showed me the light I am convinced THE best way to cook new potatoes is hasselback-style :)

You are supposed to peel them but I prefer the skin left on (and peeling new taties is a pain in the arse) and then slice through them further than halfway down but not all the way through. Best picture I could find:

hasselbk.gif

Grease an ovenproof pan with butter or oil, whack your potatoes in and brush them with butter (or oil) using a pastry brush. Salt and pepper as usual and then put them into the oven for 25-30 mins. Take them out, brush them with butter and season again. If you want to add breadcrumbs or different herbs or put cheese on top then that's the time to do it. Then they go back into the oven for 10-15 minutes or however long it takes for them to cook. They fan out naturally as they cook so they look pretty impressive as well as tasting like heaven because the butter seeps right through :yum:

Sounds lovely!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Do you have to use fresh herbs or dried?

How long do you put them in the oven for and on what heat?

Thanks!
    What I usually do is coat the spuds in some oil, then put them in a roasting tray with a few cloves of garlic, just squashed, not chopped or anything and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Im sure you could use dried rosemary too though.

Whack them in the oven at about 200 degrees for about 45 mins, keep checking to make sure they arent too dry and if they are, add a little more oil.

:)
  • Options
    mmm icant wait for jersey royals to come out
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    What I usually do is coat the spuds in some oil, then put them in a roasting tray with a few cloves of garlic, just squashed, not chopped or anything and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Im sure you could use dried rosemary too though.

Whack them in the oven at about 200 degrees for about 45 mins, keep checking to make sure they arent too dry and if they are, add a little more oil.

:)

Thankyou :)
  • Options
    mmm cheers guys they all sound lush.
    Also loving that picture Briggi, I do like a good potato slicing diagram! Can't be that healthy with the mountains of butter but buttery potatoes are the best :)
  • Options
    Just plained boiled and butter is i think the best way to have new potatoes, when they're in season, as they have the most beautiful taste. Roasted in butter with lashings of paprika, like the Danes do is nice as well.