Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work Related Tpoic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just curious what people think. Do you think your boss has any right to be angry with you if you hand in your notice/resignation because you are unhappy with your job, for multiple reasons ?

Do you think they are entitled to feel anger / disappointment / etc towards you ?

Personally i do not think they do have that right.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think a good boss shouldn't show it - but it can be hard when someone leaves.

However a boss should never make someone feel they've done something wrong by finding work somewhere else.
    Jim V wrote: »
    However a boss should never make someone feel they've done something wrong by finding work somewhere else.

:yes:
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You handed your notice in? :-o

How could you negate to tell me that?

See i was going to text you after i handed it in but i thought A) I'd catch you on msn, and B) Didn't want to bother you by texting in case you were busy our owt.

Jim, i agree they shouldn't show it, particularly if someone's reasons for leaving aren't against anything with anyone in a personal way.
    Mine was gomsmacked when I resigned this week. Tried to make me stay but hes accepted it now. I'am working my arse off to get the huge pile of paperwork sorted out in the next three weeks.

A good boss should not show they're anger/upset. Not to the person leaving at least anyway.
    actually i have another question.

I've NEVER signed ANY kind of contract since starting in this place in November, as i was taken on as a Xmas temp. I finally received my PT contract a few days ago but it has NOT been signed, as i knew i was going to leave.

My boss is saying i have to work a weeks notice, except shes happy for me not to work the full week but just a few days. I dont believe this to be true, i was under the impression i was not legally bound by any terms for working notice because of the fact i had not signed any contract so surely i do not have to forcibly work any notice ?

Partticuarly as i start my new/old job on monday
    edn1 wrote: »

I've NEVER signed ANY kind of contract since starting in this place in November, as i was taken on as a Xmas temp. I finally received my PT contract a few days ago but it has NOT been signed, as i knew i was going to leave.

My boss is saying i have to work a weeks notice, except shes happy for me not to work the full week but just a few days. I dont believe this to be true, i was under the impression i was not legally bound by any terms for working notice because of the fact i had not signed any contract so surely i do not have to forcibly work any notice ?

Partticuarly as i start my new/old job on monday

If you haven't signed the contract they havnt got a leg to stand on!
    Tho' by you going to work and them paying you for it, you are deemed to have accepted their rules.

Depends how far you wanna take it if it's problem...
    Tho' by you going to work and them paying you for it, you are deemed to have accepted their rules.

Depends how far you wanna take it if it's problem...

I could potentially understand that but, legally having signed no contract i doubt they could actually do anything. They'd have to prove i actually did agree to those terms and if you haven't signed to agree to anything then surely got a leg to stand on, as deceelpool says.
    I think that legally, you can walk whenever you want if there were no contracts. It would probably be expected that you would give notice, and work for that period though. It's a bit of an unwritten rule I guess. But that said, I don't suppose they could stop you from leaving tomorrow if that's how your mood took you.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    No I don't think a boss should be angry at all. Disappointed maybe - if they feel that you didn't give them a chance to help you resolve some of the reasons you were unhappy. But yes as Jim says, you shouldn't feel bad for wanting a new job.
    At least they didn't seem happy about it, which is what my last boss did.

"I want to quit"...."I thought you might".

Oh, would that be something to do with the fact that you've probably been trying to get me to leave for AGES?!

Cunts :(.
    If you work for them and have been paid for a months or more work, then you are deemed to have accepted their rules.
    edn1 wrote: »

It could go both ways. You say to them 'I haven't signed a contract so i don't need to work my notice.' They say 'OK you haven't signed a contract so we don't have to pay you your pay in lieu or your holiday pay.'
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    It could go both ways. You say to them 'I haven't signed a contract so i don't need to work my notice.' They say 'OK you haven't signed a contract so we don't have to pay you your pay in lieu or your holiday pay.'

Franki - tht's really harsh.:(
    Sofie wrote: »

Franki - tht's really harsh.:(
    It was :(.

And now they're really nice to me when I go in there (rarely). Bastards.
    You can't be forced to work notice, contract or otherwise.

But likewise your employer would not then be forced to give a reference saying that you were a model employee.

As for the original question, a good boss would not show a poor reaction. But then a good boss would not be surprised, because you'd most likely have mentioned it to them, or they'd have a good clue that you were about to quit anyway.

Your boss doesn't sound that great.
    Well the good thing about myself is i have not been asked for referances for my last 2/3 jobs because my CV and myself have been enough to prove i'm capable and have the experience.

Truly, at the end the day no one can be forced to work notice. In the end myself i worked two day's notice which i was happy to do because obviously handing in my notice midweek and at such short notice there was no cover.

Personally i am of the opinion that if you are not happy in your job you shouldnt feel the need to explain yourself to anyone if you decide to leave. Speaking from personal experience you only get badgered as to why you want to leave and are offered no alternative solutions etc.