Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...a country can't find 11 (or 23 for a squad of) professional footballers within its population, should they still be allowed straight into the qualifying groups? And if a country lacks the facilities to host an international match, should they be allowed straight into the qualfying groups?

I'm just interested in people's opinions on the idea that a country such as Andorra should be required to prove themselves of sufficiant quality to enter a qualifying group with professional teams, bearing in mind that they have never won a qualifying game. Actually, never even drawn one.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps the smaller countries should have some sort of mini league before the group stages with only the top teams getting into the draw.
  • Options
    Probably because it is very likely that the crappy team is going to get its doors blown off by a good team, which is highly entertaining in most cases.
  • Options
    What Addict said.
  • Options
    Come on, we need someone we can beat...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Come on, we need someone we can beat...

just! :p
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Perhaps the smaller countries should have some sort of mini league before the group stages with only the top teams getting into the draw.

I'm only thinking of nations which can't put together a team of professional players. Most countries start out small, but then develop the football in their country. But how long have the likes of Andorra and the Faroe Islands been playing regular football against the top teams, and they still have an insurance salesman, a taxi driver and a binman at the core of their team? The matches are shit. They defend really deep, the professionals really can't be arsed, and they still win. Or they get spanked and neither team learns anything.
  • Options
    I think there is nothing wrong with the way it works just now. Just because these countries don't have the huge pool of players to choose from or even the finances to have a lovely stadium shouldn't go against them but just adds to the romance of football. Kind of like the FA cup. Gives the part-time postman the chance to rub shoulders with some big names. And imagine if and when one of these "little countries" does manage to qualify. Brilliant.
  • Options
    It's not a very big country though is it? Its entire population would fit in a football stadium. It doesn't even has its own league due to being so small.

I don't see anything wrong with small, non-professional countries playing big ones. It's a great source of income for the small countries, a good day out for the fans of the bigger nation, and 3 points in the bag :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's not a very big country though is it? Its entire population would fit in a football stadium. It doesn't even has its own league due to being so small.

I don't see anything wrong with small, non-professional countries playing big ones. It's a great source of income for the small countries, a good day out for the fans of the bigger nation, and 3 points in the bag :D

So you wouldn't object to Gibraltar having a team then? ;)
  • Options
    If a team with 11 of the best players in the world can go 54 minutes without scoring against a team full of estate agents and binmen then they don't deserve to be in the cup either. :D
  • Options
    Leave it as it is, San Marino scoring against England in 9 seconds is a memory that I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Saying that, being 2-0 down to the Faroes at half time wasn't much fun :grump:
  • Options
    each country has every right to play just as many games as any other. they shouldnt really be restricted because they are not as good.
    If a team with 11 of the best players in the world can go 54 minutes without scoring against a team full of estate agents and binmen then they don't deserve to be in the cup either
    exactly.
  • Options
    ...a country can't find 11 (or 23 for a squad of) professional cricketers within its population

*cough*
    Pietersen
    Joyce
    *cough*
  • Options
    Joyce

Bowled out for 1 against Ireland today. :lol:

That'll teach the traitor bastard.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Leave it as it is, San Marino scoring against England in 9 seconds is a memory that I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Not as good asw this though eh?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=IzPjlnQEkps&mode=related&search=
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options