Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weird Tonsils (Grossness Warning!!!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since about halfway through high school, I've been having this problem with my tonsils. After seemingly random periods of time, pores in the tonsil itself will fill up with this solid white crap. I can negotiate the stuff out of them with my finger if I try hard, but it's really gross and I think it's giving me bad breath when it's in there. I've asked two doctors about it, one said that it was dried mucous that had collected in the pores, and the other said it was partially digested/decayed food matter which had gotten stuck in there while I was eating.

Firstly, does this happen to anyone else? (I understand if you don't want to admit to it, it's pretty nasty)

And secondly, I'm thinking about having my tonsils removed to stop this from happening. I was wondering what the recovery period was for anyone who has had their tonsils removed.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're tonsil stones. This might be informative.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=21&action=detail&ref=568

Personally I don't think I'd have my tonsils removed for that reason. It's a painful op for an adult and also, you actually do need them.
    I've had that before. I routinely suffer from tonsilitis and laryngitis and often get those (which, I scrape out myself, which isn't pleasant)...

They're nothing serious, and they're pretty normal I guess.
    I just had my tonsils removed and trust me, it aint pretty.
    Mine kept abccessing so i'd be in agony and popping with out me knowing, so i'd end up swallowing the grossness that was the collection of pus which would make me really sick- that happened like 5 times in one year, and i think my doctor just got fed up with giving me the same shitty antibiotics.

Tonsil stones aren't really that serious...unless they start to hurt...
    Not sure if mine was the same but sometimes I get a tiny tiny white particle in my mouth..it smells of vom and is gross. This happens like twice a year if that. It's so small
    I wasn't aware you could touch your tonsils (without throwing up).

Actually now where you speak of it, rach, I had that white thing too, but only once and yonks ago (still in our old flat so >10 years).
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I wasn't aware you could touch your tonsils (without throwing up).

Actually now where you speak of it, rach, I had that white thing too, but only once and yonks ago (still in our old flat so >10 years).

did it smell of vom too?
    Rachael wrote: »
    did it smell of vom too?

Yes and it weighed exactly 2,463 milligrams. How can anyone forget about those things!?!?!

nah, seriously. It smelled foul, but I was sick at the time too, I remember.
    I've had that before. I routinely suffer from tonsilitis and laryngitis and often get those (which, I scrape out myself, which isn't pleasant)...

They're nothing serious, and they're pretty normal I guess.

:yes: thats exactly the same as me. I did suffere from really sore throats with it as well so eventually they took my tonsils out. Haven't had any probs since. took about 2 weeks for the pain to go away and about a week before I was allowed out after having my tonsils out.