Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GSCE German oral examination help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay, so I've been revising my butt off for the past couple of weeks for my exam, which is tomorrow. :banghead: I was thinking that there might be some people on here willing to give me tips for the damn thing, or maybe even up for a little warm up conversation in German? I'm not very good at it, but I really need to get into a German mood.

My mother thinks it could be a good idea to make me speak totally in German throughout today, so if I need something I will have to find out how to ask for it in German. The only problem with her theory is that she has no idea how to speak German >.<

So, any other ideas?

Thanks!
xoxox
Kitty
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't take German for GCSE, otherwise I'd of been happy to natter to you in German as I remember how horrible my revision for my French was.

The things that helped me were to prepare for the actual conversation bit was to get a wad of post its and stick them on everything in the house, and everytime I noticed something to say it outloud. To include things that aren't household items though, I had to get a bit creative, such as a picture of me and my cousin in Switzerland became the prompt for "les vacances" or "holiday"

Other than that, my french teacher had us record ourselves having a conversation with him about things, and then we recorded the little talk you have to do as well. We all made a tape of it (because our language lab in school was rather clever) but I'm sure recording it onto your computer or phone would help just as much. Just keep playing it, even when you're not fully concentrating, because just the sound of the words will help you stay in that frame of mind.

The above all worked for me, hope they help you :)
    Thanks! Sounds like a good plan actually. I'll probably see if I can myself recorded, and just play myself speaking hehe.
    I think I'm mostly worried about the intricacies of the German grammar, and even worse is being able to understand my teacher when he asks me a question. :P
    Dont try and do long sentences....I totally flopped mine because of that, and my stupid teacher didnt ask me anything to do with what I had prepared, so in the end I was just throwing in random words that sounded like english things...

Ich bin hungrig fur der Apfel.

Mein Vater ist dem Piloten und meine mutter ist dem bibliotekarin (funny when my dad's an engineer and my mums a civil servant)
    Hehe, I see what you mean, I learnt all the answers that could possibly be asked (my teacher gave me a list of some) about my speech, and I know my speech. It's more the general conversation and the role play parts that are worrying me :S
    http://www.dw-world.de/ try popping on the radio on here. it doesnt matter if u dont understand any of it but it will put you in a german mood. just keep calm and speak slowly :) Viel Gluck!
    Okay, so I've been revising my butt off for the past couple of weeks for my exam, which is tomorrow. :banghead: I was thinking that there might be some people on here willing to give me tips for the damn thing, or maybe even up for a little warm up conversation in German? I'm not very good at it, but I really need to get into a German mood.

My mother thinks it could be a good idea to make me speak totally in German throughout today, so if I need something I will have to find out how to ask for it in German. The only problem with her theory is that she has no idea how to speak German >.<

So, any other ideas?

Thanks!
    xoxox
    Kitty

Well, I'm fluent in german (mother's tongue). So if you read that before tomorrow, pm me or im me, and we can have some written conversation.
    Thanks!
    I'm listening now :P
    Thanks! I'll email you?
    Thanks! I'll email you?

I don't use the email i have in my profile (it's just for msn).
    Either add me on msn or tell me if you want to have my email. I think actual conversation is more helpful, because I can correct the doodoo's right there, but it's up to you. Your exam.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I don't use the email i have in my profile (it's just for msn).
    Either add me on msn or tell me if you want to have my email. I think actual conversation is more helpful, because I can correct the doodoo's right there, but it's up to you. Your exam.

I'd use msn, in fact, I can use the web msn because mine doesn't seem to be working :]
    I screwed mine up abit. Just keep it simple and don't over complicate it.