Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Space

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If someone you were going out with asked for some space for a bit would you go off the roof?

Comments

• Options
    I guess it would depend on how long you'v been with them, what type of person they are and why they feel they want some space.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go off the roof, as in get angry, but I would be concerned. Particularly if we'd been going out for a while. I'd want to know why, and why they couldn't just talk to me about what ever was bothering them.

Has this happen to you? Do you know why they want space?
  • Options
    I wouldn't go off the roof, as in get angry, but I would be concerned. Particularly if we'd been going out for a while. I'd want to know why, and why they couldn't just talk to me about what ever was bothering them.

Has this happen to you? Do you know why they want space?

I asked for a bit, explained I have a lot on at the moment. Plus I am ill as well. They said they are an all or nothing person and don't seem to be able to allow me to have any.
  • Options
    I associate 'needing space' with putting the blame on the other person. Your boyfriend probably feels hurt and like he's a bit clingy. Is he?

If you still want to be with him then I'd avoid the cliche of 'I need some space'. Maybe you have a lot on and don't want him to be hurt if you can't spend as much time with him as you'd want to? So are warning him in advance?

I don't know..but the whole 'space' thing. Yeah I'd be worried.
  • Options
    Fairy wrote: »
    I asked for a bit, explained I have a lot on at the moment. Plus I am ill as well. They said they are an all or nothing person and don't seem to be able to allow me to have any.

Ahh I presumed it was the other way around. Well I still stick to what I said, I wouldn't be angry if I was him, just concerned.

It's good that you're being honest from the outset, rather than just blanking him or letting him down. But I also agree with Racheal, 'some space' has bad connotations. Maybe you should just say you won't be able to spend as much time with him as you like at the moment, but you will be able to soon. Is it a long-term thing, or a fairly new guy?
  • Options
    Ahh I presumed it was the other way around. Well I still stick to what I said, I wouldn't be angry if I was him, just concerned.

It's good that you're being honest from the outset, rather than just blanking him or letting him down. But I also agree with Racheal, 'some space' has bad connotations. Maybe you should just say you won't be able to spend as much time with him as you like at the moment, but you will be able to soon. Is it a long-term thing, or a fairly new guy?

Fairly new person...They are now wanting to know where they stand with me and think I don't like them.
  • Options
    If someone you were going out with asked for some space for a bit would you go off the roof?

No, i would hold it all on the inside and get an ulcer!
  • Options
    Fairly new person...They are now wanting to know where they stand with me and think I don't like them.

Hm, well it may be a bit off-putting at the start of a relationship to be told that the other person won't be able to spend much time with you. Are you sure you want a relationship at the moment? If so, I think you've just got to make it really clear to him that you do like him, and really want to be with him, just that you don't have much spare time at the moment and have a lot of things going on. But that won't be the case forever.
  • Options
    Just be honest with him, talk to him, maybe sayng space was a bad idea, but amybe something like, im just not well at the mo, and have a lot on, is it ok if i give my self a couple of days to recover..talking to him might help. And if you do really like him, it might help for the future. Good Luck!
  • Options

No, I'd give them that space if they want it, but also ask to talk through why they need space.
  • Options

It's a sign to me personally. Ive had it recently as it happens. If they were that important, you'd make the time, if you cant then well, what do you really think of the guy? When girls comes on like this, it usually means, to me anyway, they're letting you down easy. It's cowards path! Your all b*tches for it an all, because it really isn't the best way to do it imo. Leaving a guy on a cliff hanger like that sends all kinda thoughts through his noggin. Tell him straight! Be upfront! Dilly dallying around is very imature and very, very unfair!

can ye tell im bitter!? Can ya?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    No, I'd give them that space if they want it, but also ask to talk through why they need space.

:yes:

Box - what on earth are you on about?

What Sparky_Star said seems like a good idea as well.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes:

Box - what on earth are you on about?

What Sparky_Star said seems like a good idea as well.

I'm rambling! I've heard the 'I need space shite :nervous: ' before!
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    It's a sign to me personally. Ive had it recently as it happens. If they were that important, you'd make the time, if you cant then well, what do you really think of the guy? When girls comes on like this, it usually means, to me anyway, they're letting you down easy. It's cowards path! Your all b*tches for it an all, because it really isn't the best way to do it imo. Leaving a guy on a cliff hanger like that sends all kinda thoughts through his noggin. Tell him straight! Be upfront! Dilly dallying around is very imature and very, very unfair!

Jeeze chill out man! Some people have other things they have to concentrate on in their lives as well! I don't take it well being referred to as a bitch either matey.
  • Options

There is more to life than someone's boyfriend/girlfriend.

You really do need to calm down.
  • Options
    Id probably feel a bit put out, because if we were spending th amount of time together that felt natural to me, but it was far too much for the other person, then id probably assume they werent as in to me as I was to them.
    If it was a new relationship especially, id also feel embarrassed that they thought i was too full on.
    If it was new, id probably consider just ending it.
    It would really depend on the whole rest of the relationship though tbh.
  • Options
    I think it would depend on why the person needed space, if it was because they had alot on with uni/work or something along those lines i would understand (provided i felt it was nothing to do with me personally but i think that would depend on how the relationship was as a whole) but it would be different though if they just needed space in general and thought that we spent too much time together, i would be hurt by that because as scc already said, i'd probably assume they werent as interested as i was.
  • Options
    I don't take it well being referred to as a bitch either matey.
    Your 'all' b*tches for it an all

I said to the highly detailed, vintage year pigeon. "Can you spare us a few plastic containers for my day in the ceramic tea pot country known as ozaki speaker-ingdom?"
  • Options
    I said to the highly detailed, vintage year pigeon. "Can you spare us a few plastic containers for my day in the ceramic tea pot country known as ozaki speaker-ingdom?"

Still includes me...but anyway...nice chatting with you
  • Options
    My point is. Spending too much time with someone wouldn't ever bother you if spending time with them really mattered, you wouldn't even notice you were doing so. matey. If you want time/space away from someone, isn't them being around you just doing your head in all reality? I mean you, cant be arsed with that someone in your life at the minute, whats going to change with a little space?
  • Options
    My point is. Spending too much time with someone wouldn't ever bother you if spending time with them really mattered, you wouldn't even notice you were doing so. matey. If you want time/space away from someone, isn't them being around you just doing your head in all reality? I mean you, cant be arsed with that someone in your life at the minute, whats going to change with a little space?

Go talk to the girl whos bothering you lol
  • Options
    What a load of rubbsh, Box.

I was in a similar situaion with a friend of mine a while back and when he told me that he needed space/wasn't ready to chat to me, I didn't instantly think 'he doesn't like me'.
  • Options
    well, when youve heard it once...
  • Options
    Fairy, why ask if you are going to have a go at who says what you dont want to hear.
    Its only his opinion.
  • Options

Sad thing is...it's not just girls do this...a bloke just did similar thing to me...said he thought I was great but was really busy...to me, sure sign he's not interested any more...if that's not what you meant, Fairy, think you should have picked your words better tbh....
  • Options
    Box just came across as being a bit harsh I thought. But hey people take things differently on a noticeboard. Ah well its only cyberspace.
  • Options
    Box just came across as being a bit harsh I thought. But hey people take things differently on a noticeboard. Ah well its only cyberspace.

Oh no!! Wasn't going into the whole 'you vs. Box' thing...meant your original words...to your new bloke...think you should have maybe worded it more sensitively...cos know if I hear "I need more space", I instantly think "I'm dumped"....:no:

Biiggg knock in confidence for your fella....so even if he's still interested, he might not have the guts to say so now..:(
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Oh no!! Wasn't going into the whole 'you vs. Box' thing...meant your original words...to your new bloke...think you should have maybe worded it more sensitively...cos know if I hear "I need more space", I instantly think "I'm dumped"....:no:

Biiggg knock in confidence for your fella....so even if he's still interested, he might not have the guts to say so now..:(

Yeah spoken to them about it...its a girl btw. I guess people take things in different ways. Previous note was in response to SuzyCreamCheese.
  • Options
    Yeah spoken to them about it...its a girl btw. I guess people take things in different ways. Previous note was in response to SuzyCreamCheese.

Ohhh!!! It was for SCC!! Got all confused...oops!! And yes...should have realised you were talking about a girl...my mistake all round...sorry!! :blush:

But glad you've spoken to her about it...would be a shame for her to think she's unwanted when all you literally meant was "I need a bit of time"...
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Ohhh!!! It was for SCC!! Got all confused...oops!! And yes...should have realised you were talking about a girl...my mistake all round...sorry!! :blush:

But glad you've spoken to her about it...would be a shame for her to think she's unwanted when all you literally meant was "I need a bit of time"...

:) No worries, cheers for the response. Think Ill be staying away from noticeboards now...