Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Job hunting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So err, sorry to sound stupid, but how do you go about it?

I mean, apart from doing the opportunistic seeing job offers in shop windows (how I got my first job), and spamming out CVs, how else can I be more proactive? I don't really know how a job agency works, my brother has told me to sign on while I'm looking but I think I'm restricted because I'm halfway between years at uni.

I mean, I'd like to work in admin, junior IT or possibly an accountancy placement - so more office work than general retail / mcjob. But beggars can't be choosers, and I'd rather get a job, then find a better one etc.

So, I need to prepare a good cv. Do I need any tax forms? :confused: And what the hell happens with a reference? Do I just put my last boss down? We got on well so I don't think he'd refuse to give me a reference, but I haven't officially asked him (I don't know if you're supposed to or not) so he might get a bit miffed if someone phones him up asking for a reference. And besides, it wasn't an important job, just shelf stacking last year. I did work experience in the summer that was great, proper office work and I did really well - was rewarded for working hard etc. - but my brother is the MD of that company (small / medium sized, wasn't working directly with him) so I don't think I'm allowed to cite him as a reference either am I?

Wehn I was looking for a part time job, it was just a case of going to all the local shops and asking if they had positions, shortly enough I managed to get a job which was great. However, full time 'proper office' jobs don't seem to be advertised in job windows, so just a finger in the right direction would be lovely :) I'm just someone who's never had a full time job before!

(happy to work 35 - 40 hour weeks for 5 months - with 5 / 10 days holiday either paid or unpaid)

Comments

• Options
    Job Agencies tend to work something along the lines of: you get in touch with them and tell them you want a job, give them a CV etc, they usually get you in, ask you some questions, get you to do some assesments and then they start looking for something suitable for you on their list.

The one I'm registered with doesn't charge me anything, they just get comission from the people I then work for, but I don't know if that's the case for everyone.

Yes you are restricted on benefits etc because in the eyes of most of the system you are still seen as a student. Double check it if you can but from what I found out the earliest you'll qualify for anything is whenever you should get your next loan installment (assuming that you don't get your next loan installement) as up to that point you are being supported as a student.

You don't need any tax forms, that gets sorted out by payroll when you get a job.

Try searching online for jobs, there are lots of sites that list vacancies. Local papers are another place to look, there's usually a jobs bit near the back. Like you said, shop windows and speculative CVs can also work well, the Job Centre website and the JobCentre itself.

As for references, you wouldn't usually cite the MD, you'd put the person you were directly working for instead, so you should be able to do that from your work experience, and I doubt your old boss would mind. What lots of people do with their CVs is put 'References Avaliable on request'. That way you can ask/warn your references if anyone asks for them.
  • Options
    What happens when the person you report to is a family member?!

In my current job my manager is my dad, although i was offered the position by the MD having been working for the company in a different role while at college.

I would prefer not to put the MD down as a reference, not because he'd say anything bad, infact he gave me a glowing reference for a voluntary job i was doing in my part time. But would prefer to put the departmental manager who like i said is my dad... Would that look bad!?

I could also put down the supervisor of the previous department i worked in, but she has retired, but said she is happy to provide a reference, would that appear suspect?

(Sorry for hijacking your thread buddy! Good luck with the search :thumb: look on the various websites jobsdirect.co.uk, jobcentreplus and in papers, the ones stating 4 month contracts or similar sound ideally suited to what your looking for)
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    What happens when the person you report to is a family member?!

Generally you're not allowed to use family members as referees, I think.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Generally you're not allowed to use family members as referees, I think.

That's a pain in the arse, but completely understandable and expected tbh.
  • Options
    I have a shameful admission.

I haven't even reall started looking yet, because I now have absolutely no responsibility I can't motivate myself to leave my house. Tomorrow though (already arranged to go in now). My bank balance is getting seriously unhealthy :( I think I'll try and pick up any job as soon as possible (god, the other night in a pub when I said I wanted a simple job for maybe £6 an hour this guy bit my head off saying he got paid that... but maybe I've been spoilt but ime that's the kind of money for basic jobs isn't it? retail work, working in a cafe / mcjob - if you were going full career you'd want to invest into something a bit more... well paid I guess. I don't want to get my head bitten off again though!)

So I reckon just get a job quickly where I get something, get me in the right frame of mind, then try applying for a proper job.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Go down the Job Centre and look at all the listings on the job points. Arrange an appointment with the Job Centre if you wish to enquire about any further training. Always look in your local paper, whatever day the jobs will be in. Agency's are a good idea if you don't mind them.

Im in the same boat as you, and i hate agency's but im signing up to one next week as im running out of options and desperately need work. The type of work i do where i live is quite dry so it makes it all that bit harder.
  • Options
    I look through the guardian every day - even though there is different sectors listed daily, there's usually *something* I can do.

Infact, I just got a job that was advertised in the Guardian. This was my only source of available jobs. (I too didn't get round to looking properly).

Failing that: job centre, newspapers, agencies, direct marketing of yourself to companies, contacts you may have.
    And make sure your CV is bang up to date and you can pretty much recall it from memory - this helps.

If you left previous employment or such, you will have a P45 to give to whoever. You will also need proof of any required visas. Passport, NI number, bank account details. This is pretty much it, along with a few references of course.

Holiday wise, you'll be looking at 20(+) days per annum which isn't inclusive of bank holidays / weekends.

37.5 hours per week is standard for a 9-5 office based job, but you may be requested to work longer - but be sure to know your break (lunch and screen) allowances and find out about overtime, time in luei and of course what the perks of your job are!

errrr

I think that's all that's on my mind for now!
    Maybe some of it helped - if not - sorry! :s
  • Options
    Went into the job centre, printed some jobs off, showed them to my mum, and she pointed out none of them are actual companies, they're all adverts from job agencies. But the money wasn't too bad, between £12k and £16k depending on experience, with some saying that they would be willing to take on a trainee. At the end of the day, I just wanted something that would empower me to earn money. So, tonight (well, probably tomorrow, quite tired now), do up a nice CV, then send it out to these email addresses, then sit tight. One of the agencies though (reed accountancy) my mum said is quite good, and another friend recommended them to me too, so having my name on their list can't be all that bad.

Only downside is that with an agency, you might be receiving £6 an hour, and the company is paying out £7 an hour. :grump:
  • Options
    Reed are good for office jobs, even temp jobs. They fact the agencies take a nice slice of the pay (an extra £2-£5 an hour for temps, 10-20% of the salary of a perm position plus VAT) is just a shitty part of life.
  • Options
    Yea, I mean personally, and completely honestly, I'd be happy with £70 a week. I don't spend a lot of money, mainly I want to clear my debt (I worked out, with my savings and everything, I'm -£500 atm :( - then I'm going holiday in the summer which will cost another £150 ish). But any easy job to get would be great, and just for my own dignity I couldn't bear to work in retail again since my last experience was so demoralising... and that was at the co op which is supposed to be one of the better ones. The management treat you like something they stepped on just because they have a higher pay grade than you - whilst I don't mind it in a professional sense *so* much (i.e. telling me off for working too slowly when more senior staff did -nothing- and I was working as fast as I could), I also got it in a personal sense when they'd make off the wall jokes, or when you hear them bitching behind your back.