Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal tax allowance

I know people can have different allowances etc, especially in one of my jobs I got a 50quid extra personal allowance before tax because of uniform

Say I genuinely bought a laptop for work use, ie working in the office of the club I'm employed at, and obviously so I can do work at home, I'd really keep it strictly for work, and have my desktp for videos and gaming

Would there be any room for a tax allowance increase, I mean my work would approve it and submit anything, but it would be me paying for it.

Anyone got any knowledge on this, there will be something on google, but I think I'm just entering the wrong search terms, or not knowing quite what I'm supposed to be searching for.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone has the same tax free allowance, which is set by government in the budget on a year by year basis.

However, you can claim tax back on certain expenses. (It may seem subtle, but there is a difference between claiming tax back cf. having a different tax allowance!)

It must be an expense by reason of employment. Your uniform allowance would fall under this. Your laptop is a bit more dubious, I think. It would be hard to sit there and say it is an expense by reason of employment, because you would also be able to use it at home for personal use? I think they can apportion the tax refund based on work / personal usage.

Now, there might be the relevent sections in ITEPA to do with computers, but I never looked into it so don't know.

Edit: Another point - I'm sure the tax relief is calculated based on the cost of the item to the employer. So unless your employer bought the laptop, I can't see how you could claim tax back?
  • Options
    but if my employer bought it, I'd get taxed for a proportion of it
  • Options
    Hmmm.

The provision of a computer for personal use (provided the annual taxable benefit doesn't exceed £500 which is quite difficult) is an exempt benefit in kind. So there is no sense in you paying for your own laptop and trying to claim it as a work related expense. It would be far more beneficial for your employer to buy the laptop themselves and loan it to you. Your employer could then claim capital allowances on the cost of the laptop and you get a free laptop which you can use for work and leisure.

If your laptop cost £700 all you would receive back as tax relief on employment expenses claim is £154 (700 x 22%). Also, because a laptop is capital rather than revenue expenditure they may ask you to claim the benefit of the expense over several years using capital allowances (similar to a sole trader would) and you would have to be able to proove that there was no duality of purpose.

Bit of a dodgy area really. Not something I have ever heard of an employee trying to claim to be honest. If a claim like that landed on my desk I would have to forward it to a compliance inspector.