Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Internationals

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    So, any predictions for tomorrow night?

My heart says we can get something in Italy, but my head says we're playing the World Champions and we're gonna get beat 3-0.

I'd love to see the Northern Irish get something too, you confident Addict?

I'm confident. Sweden, with lazy primadonna players like Ibrahimovic are just the type of side that we enjoy playing against. I could be wrong though. My one concern is that our goals only really come from Healy, but I suppose that's not so much issue, as long as we can lay the chances on for him. Normally a draw would be a great result but such is the expectation these days that you've gotta want the victory. It would put us top of our group as well!

As for Scotland well I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I'd love to see them get something but it's going to be very tough. Italy haven't really been setting the group alight though. I'll go for an optimistic score draw.

England would have to have the worst game in the history of their nation not to beat Andorra. The worst thing for England is that they'll probably win fairly comfortably (4-0) without being brilliant, and that smiling numpty McClown will lax lyrical about the professional response of his team, and he'll keep his job. It would almost be a blessing in disguise for England if Andorra did the unthinkable and snatched something from the game. But of course, their qualification hopes would be in tatters so perhaps not.
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8751_2021203,00.html

might be a repost, but this list of what will probably happen in barcelona is pretty spot on:D
    * Frank Lampard scores via a deflection off four players, beats his chest and Jamie Redknapp smugly informs us that he's silenced his critics.
    lol :)
    Ebngland should win this one.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8751_2021203,00.html

might be a repost, but this list of what will probably happen in barcelona is pretty spot on:D

lol :)

Funny stuff. Some of it's pretty spot on as well.

* Star-struck Andorran players ask to swap shirts. Three move into Frank Lampard's.

:lol:
    England will win comfortably tonight, there's no doubt about it. McClaren is an idiot, but Andorra are just...crap.

I think if England get through it'll be more to do with the Wembley factor than anything else.
    Addict wrote: »
    Funny stuff. Some of it's pretty spot on as well.

The only thing missing from that list is the standard "1966" mention.

I'm gonna put some cash on England not winning tonight. Think I'll get some nice odds on that.

As for Scotland I would love to see us have a go. I hope we don't go out and from the start try to defend a 0-0 and the point. I would rather we lost 6-0 and had a go than sit on our heels all night.
    As for Scotland I would love to see us have a go. I hope we don't go out and from the start try to defend a 0-0 and the point. I would rather we lost 6-0 and had a go than sit on our heels all night.

Dunno, I've said that before when we went to Ibrox, 1-0 turned into a 5-0 and we missed out on Europe by two goals difference at the end of the season. I'd hate that to happen to Scotland.

The more I think about it, the more I think we're gonna get a hiding. Weir and Pressley in central defence won't be able to cope with the pace of the Italian strikers. But Russell Anderson doesn't get a game because he doesn't play for Rangers or Celtic.

And why the fuck is Dailly getting a game? I know we're missing Fletcher, but I can think of at least five better players in the holding position than Christian bloody Dailly.
    Lampard is out injured because of a Rooney shot that fractured his hand or something. :lol:
    Addict wrote: »
    Lampard is out injured because of a Rooney shot that fractured his hand or something. :lol:

Thank you Wayne for yet again saving English football :lol:

Line-up looks pretty solid

Robinson
    Carragher : Ferdinand : Terry : Cole
    Lennon : Hargreaves : Gerrard : Downing
    Johnson : Rooney

At least McClown has learned which players play in which positions. It's a start at least...
    'We're shit and we know we are...

We're shit and they know we are...'
    How can McLaren stay after what the fans were chanting...
    I particularly liked -

'There's only one David Beckham'

Anyone sense a riot coming?
    Northern Ireland 2 - 1 Sweden

Another fantastic night for Norn Iron at Windsor Park!

Healy with two superb goals. His first an absolute beauty.

I predicted that we might be able to get on top of primadonnas like Ibrahimovic and that's exactly what happened. He did nothing all night and even give a sly elbow towards the end of the game dirty cunt.

What a night.

Top of the group!!
    thank god for that in the end
    Play Gerrard on the right, he does nothing.

Play Gerrard in the middle, he scores twice, wins you the match single-handedly and saves McClown's job.

Anyone still unclear over this?
    Wales 3 San Marino 0

A wins a win. Could have been more. Good goals from Giggsy and Bale. Anyone else see the fat ref? :D

Play Gerrard in the middle, he scores twice, wins you the match single-handedly and saves McClown's job.

Pretty good dive as well to top it off.

Not that anyone will be saying anything about that.

Sssshhh, English players don't cheat. ;)
    Play Gerrard on the right, he does nothing.

Anyone still unclear over this?

How can some people still not see that Gerrard is the best, most consistant and most proven player we have by a long shot, and the team should be built around him? And also the last time I saw Lampard play well was when Gerrard was injured. I can't believe there are still some people who think they fit in the same system. They're both good players, but imo Gerrard is better, and there's only room for one. But even if it was Frank in the middle and Gerrard on the bench, it'd be better than both of them.

Oh, and another point. Rooney only plays well when he has another world class striker making intelligent runs and creating space. Rooney and Owen, class. Rooney and van Nistelrooy, class. Rooney and Larsson, class. Rooney and Johnson, shit. Rooney and Crouch, shit. Rooney and Saha, shit. I think that says it all.
    the trouble is tho, England without Owen don't have another world class striker.
    O_o wrote: »
    the trouble is tho, England without Owen don't have another world class striker.

True. But Rooney is not really a striker. He's at his best hanging just behind the front two (or one) and playing off them. The most natural striker we have in the team is Defoe. Why McClown started with Johnson is anyone's guess. Him and Rooney are too similar to be paired together. Defoe is a quick, intelligent out-and-out striker.

Incidentally, the little I saw of David Nugent was quite promising. I guess most people would have pinched that goal just to say they scored on their debut but his running and movement was quite encouraging. Told you he'd get a game tonight.

Gerrard as usual ran things tonight. He absolutely bossed it. The second goal was the best example of that. Fuck this, I'm bored, I want another goal. Come on Stu, 1-2, and again Jermaine, there we go, it's two-nil.
    Owen should be back for the next internationals.

Rooney's suspended for the first one though. Rooney really needs to improve his discipline. It's so easy for opposition teams to put defenders round him, ruffle his feathers a bit and get a rise. Teams know to do it and he always goes for the bait. Hopefully it will improve as he gets older.
    Rooney. Another example of a complaicent overpaid little shit who's guaranteed a starting place every time. D'you think Sir Alex would put up with that bullshit combined with shit performances we've had from him? Would he fuck. He'd be dropped to the bench faster than he could tred on an opponents nuts.
    I think Rooney should retire from international football. He gets slaughtered by English fans for not scoring when it's clear to me that most of the team aren't performing. Why does Rooney play so well for United? Because he's got great players around him who play for the team and he has a good wingers and striker to link up with. He doesn't just have midfielders behind him like Lampard who play hollywood passes to nowhere or else just shoot into row z. The last thing I'd call Rooney is complacent, because that suggests he doesn't try and suggests he thinks he's doing just fine, when clearly he doesn't think that.

Maybe England should drop him. Fergie doesn't though, even when he's playing bad, because he knows what he can bring to the team when he finds his form, and there's no point damaging his confidence like that. OK, he's been poor for England for a while. He's his own worst enemy for doing so well when he came on the scene at Euro 2004. Now all the fickle numpties that support England expect a 21-year-old to be their saviour. My feeling is that Rooney will continue to stagnate at international level unless a new manager is brought in who knows how to get the players playing as a team. But I'd be quite happy to see Rooney walk away, because unless he wins them a tournament he's going to be crucified everytime.