Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hot chocolate

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
This thread is inspired by budda :)

Ok, so I said you can't beat Cadburys when it comes to hot chocolate, but he says Twinings is kick ass - so I'm definitely going to have to try it.

I also quite like Green & Blacks, but it's very rich I find.

I can't bear bear Whittards or Starbucks though :yuck: - and really prefer not to drink 'add water only' kind. Costa is usually pretty good.

I also don't like drinking it with any toppings - especially not whipped cream, although frothy milk is nice.

Which hot chocolate do you like, and how do you drink it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Aero Hot Chocolate is really nice.
    I love whipped cream on top of my hot chocolate, with little marshmellows aswell! :yum:
    The individual packets of Swiss Miss with the marshmellows and then get the big tub of it and dig just the marshmellows out of it and put a candy cane it it.
    tescos value (blue stripe) instant chocolate is really :yum:

if you dont believe me, try it. If you dont like it youve only wasted 40p or something but its better than a lot of expensive ones ive tasted!!
    Cadbury's hot chocolate is just awful imo. And Starbuck's hot choc tastes really malty.

Nothing comes close to a Suchard's for me. I love my Suchard's with whizzy cream on top with chocolate sprinkles.
    Hotel Chocolat stuff is lovely if it wasn't for the price. Although always get the flakes not the balls because the balls don't disolve properly.

Love hot choc with marshmellows and whipped cream on top...Varsity do quite a nice one. Nero's is ok.
    The proper cadburys one with milk is good. Although the highlights one that you add water to is shit.
    The only one that you add water to that's really nice is horlicks malted chocolate.
    Best = Cadbury's where you heat up milk and add that, with no toppings but generous amounts of the powder!
    Best instant = Aldi. 79p, can't go wrong!

I don't like coffe shop hot chocolate, esp. Starbucks and Costa etc. It never tastes right and I always need a drink of water or something else afterwards! Starbucks is mainly frothy milk with brown topping. Tasteless and gritty.
    I use the Galaxy one but add milk instead of water. Topped with marshmellows.... gorgeous!

We've got Cadburys atm and even though I don't mind it, it's a let down compared to Galaxy :(
    Galaxy Caramel, Galaxy, both chocolate and mint Aero :yum:
    I never thought I liked 'add water' ones but I have recently tried Suchards and I would have to admit you wouldnt know it was water not milk... its yummy!

I had an aero one with added baileys last night - I love the bubbles but it is difficult to stop it being lumpy!
    Sainsbury’s do a wicked add milk instant hot chocolate but I have to say Café Nero’s hits the spot! I like mine with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles:yum:

I've tried Whittards white hot chocolate..wasnt impressed
    When we were camping last year we had the one from Lidl and it was REALLY nice, everyone couldn't get enough of it.
    Only really had cadburys but never never never never never never should you just add water. How people can drink that just ew ew ew ew ew! Hot milk with the power, stir, stir, stir add squirty cream and the little marshmellows.

Yum Yum YUM!
    Cadbury's with milk. :yes:

I like it with squirty cream and mini marshmellows sometimes too. :D

Not really tried any others.

Absolute NO to hot choccie made with water though... YUCK! :yuck:

Now I'm off to warm some milk...
    I find that when I have marshmellows and whipped cream it turns into too much of a sugar fest and I'm too scared of seeing it again all over my shoes.

I like the Cadburys (add milk) hot choccie... I don't mind Starbucks, either.
    The Cadbury add water (NOT highlights) is alright if you mix cold milk with the powder to make a paste and then top up with boiling water, mixing frantically to make it frothy. I don't mind it when there is nowt else, but it's not fantastic.
    SPRUNGLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII is obviously the best, but unfortunately its so expensive :( The one from Hotel Chocolat is an ok alternative but i tend to make it myself with a piece of swiss milk cooking choxolate and add milk most of the time
    The best hot chocolate I've ever had was in Italy. The cafes there seem to just melt pure chocolate, it's so thick you need a spoon. Seriously amazing stuff.
    I've only had the Cadbury one on a regular basis, and I never prepared it properly for some reason. I mixed the powder with a bit of milk, but if you got the powder/milk ratio wrong it wouldn't turn into a smooth paste. Then I added cold milk and heated it up from there. If there's one that's definitely superior to that one, then I'd be willing to give that one a try. I dunno which one though lol.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Some of the instant ones have gelatin in them to make them thicker, so I tend to avoid them, same with any instant ones that have milk powder in them. I do love the Green and Blacks one with water and a dash of soy milk, or the G&B cocoa with soy milk al la GWST, a bit of real chocolate melted in.
    The Green and Blacks one doesnt have a high enough chocolate ratio, its quite good for what it is, but the Twinings one is the best of the lot.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Splodgey wrote: »

I had an aero one - I love the bubbles but it is difficult to stop it being lumpy!

:yes: I've found that with the aero one too.
    I have the high lights one as nice and no too bad on the diet.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    budda wrote: »
    The Green and Blacks one doesnt have a high enough chocolate ratio, its quite good for what it is, but the Twinings one is the best of the lot.
    That's why you melt real chocolate in it, or add cocoa powder to it as well. I just had a cioccolata fiorentina at Carluccios, which is really rich thick drinking chocolate in an espresso cup, it was just so delicious!
    LadyJade wrote: »
    I just had a cioccolata fiorentina at Carluccios, which is really rich thick drinking chocolate in an espresso cup, it was just so delicious!
    I saw that on the menu and was tempted. Went for a Tiramisu instead, which was stunning. Next time I'll try the Cioccolata Fiorentina :chin:
    Costa is the best coffee-shop hot chocolate *byfar*.

I like Cadburys powder with MILK please. I hatehatehate water-hot chocolate, it tastes of nothing and I always end up putting about two tons of sugar and 5 scoops of chocolate in it to get it to taste of anything :o.
    i have to say my all time faves are options outrageous orange and options belgian chocolate. mmmm.

i thought twinings made tea?
    Miffy wrote: »
    When we were camping last year we had the one from Lidl and it was REALLY nice, everyone couldn't get enough of it.

We're probably talking about the same one - Lidl definitely do an 'add water' hot chocolate/"cocoa drink" that is divine. Just as nice as any of the milky ones I've tried and a lot less faff.

Might have a cup now :yum:

I do like Green & Blacks though. I put a spoonful of Ovaltine in it sometimes which has garnered a lot of disgust but it tastes good!
    my favourite hot chocolate is home made. I simmer some milk, add some chunks of 70%+ cocoa solids dark chocolate, whisking till its creamy.

Then pour it in a mug and top with squirty cream and marshmallows.

Sometimes i'll add a drop of vanilla, orange or mint extract.

:yum: