Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bullied kids punished

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to this article. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, I've got into trouble for fighting back.
    never was. Although I was only bullied for a month or so in middle school.
    I wasn't, but I do remember whenever there was a fight, both kids tended to get into equal trouble, even if one had been bullying the other for months. I can't remember anyone ever being punished for bullying, but then perhaps that's not the sort of thing that's done publicly. I'd be interested to know if anyone used to be a bully, and how they were treated?
    I never had the guts to fight back. It was more psychological bullying so you can't really fight it back. I did get punished for sticking up for my brother when he was being bullied though - his teacher told my parents that i was the one bullying him to cover up the problem. I got it lots of shit for that. And when my brother tried to fight back, he was the one who got punished. What made it even worse was he has aspergers, so he'd lose his temper and fight back and not really know what he was doing. His best was when he tipped tomatoe ketchup down the back of a guys white polo tshirt who was picking on him. I thought it was really good tbh.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I got suspended from Primary school for doing what my old man told me and fighting back.
    Time off school and nobody ever gave me grief again.
    Weekender Offender 
    It always seems to be the victim fighting back that is seen by teachers rather than the bullies bullying them.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It always seems to be the victim fighting back that is seen by teachers rather than the bullies bullying them.
    That's how it always happened with me anyway. Then I got the clue and stopped fighting, began ignoring.
    Skive wrote: »
    I got suspended from Primary school for doing what my old man told me and fighting back.
    Time off school and nobody ever gave me grief again.

:thumb: always seemed to me to be the best way to deal with a bully. Find some way to knock them down and they'll back off.
    lea_uk wrote: »

:yes: And when I told any teacher I was being bullied, they never listened - even when they took my school bag nad managed to rip it.:rolleyes:
    I know its reasonably common practice to expell students who are attacked who wont name their attackers, at least in post 16 colleges.
    although i never fought back, when my mum reported that i was getting bullied to the school, i was told that i should "toughen" up and that i was "too sensitive"

however, as most people are saying, if i'd have toughened up, i'd have got into trouble too
    I was bullied most of my school life, mainly verbal to which I just gave them a mouthful as well or walked away. The one time the bullying did get physical was when I stood up for my friend who was alot smaller than me. I told the bully to pick on someone their own size, they promptly turned to me, shoved me into the bus-stop so I grabbed them by the jumper and used my size (I was bigger than the bully, plus alot heavier) to my advatage as I threw them across the pavement into a wall :thumb: The next day I got pulled out of class and my head of year basically said "well done for sticking up for your friends, standing up to the bully who probably deserved what he did from what I heard, but don't do it again otherwise we'll have to suspend you for fighting :rolleyes:" Didn't stop me from picking another bully up off the floor by the chin until he promised to stay away from my (male!) friends :lol::lol: Most people realised at that point that I was willing to get suspend for sticking up to bullies and left me (and my mates) alone, physically anyway.

The verbal bullying in the end didn't bother me, they used to call me "Bea" (As in Bea from Prisoner Cell Block H) and I would just retort "YEah, well next time I'm inside it will be for your murder if you don't just F*ck off!" I also got called big tits but I have got big tits so it didn't bother me :razz:

My daughter is being bullied at the minute, I've just reported the bully for the second time this week for threatening to kick & punch her if my daughter "didn't get out of the bully's sight" :mad: I have told my daughter to just walk away, but she's 6 and takes everything to heart. My fear is this "bully" is going to do something to my daughter physically and my daughter will turn around and punch her and then end up in trouble, which I don't need being on the governors!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I got in trouble all the time if I fought back. Fuck, even the teachers treated me like shit. I had too much of my own opinions.

The kids left me alone after I threatened to rip one of thier throats out. That was fun.

I still used to get sent out of registration soon as I opened the door, but that teacher was just a fucking twat. I hated her.
    budda wrote: »
    I know its reasonably common practice to expell students who are attacked who wont name their attackers, at least in post 16 colleges.

You what?:eek2:
    A lad at school slapped me round my face so I punched him and fractured his cheek bone! I had to keep away from him for the rest of the time at school and fuck all happened to him.
    I enjoyed the week off though!
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    A lad at school slapped me round my face so I punched him and fractured his cheek bone! I had to keep away from him for the rest of the time at school and fuck all happened to him.
    I enjoyed the week off though!

What did they expect you to do to him? Do nothing, run home and tell mummy?
    Sofie wrote: »
    What did they expect you to do to him? Do nothing, run home and tell mummy?

Fuck knows. I was gobsmacked about the whole thing.
    One guy had been a dick to me for years and one day I just snapped and throttled him. The head of my year said he did want to punish the other guy but he couldn't because he'd have to punish me also. What a kop out.
    my parents always told me to lift my hand to someone and not think twice if they were giving me grief, so even if i did land up in trouble in school over it my parents wouldnt have punished me in any way and defended me to the hilt

the way it should be :thumb:
    Renzo wrote: »
    One guy had been a dick to me for years and one day I just snapped and throttled him. The head of my year said he did want to punish the other guy but he couldn't because he'd have to punish me also. What a kop out.

So basically, he's allowing him to get away with it?:yeees:
    You what?:eek2:

I know of at least five or six cases where students have been stabbed in London and because they wont name the attacker and the college thinks they know who they are they are expelled. Its common policy, the thinking behind it is, if people with knives think they can intimidate people into not naming them then there is no deterant. I think its really nasty myself.
    So basically, he's allowing him to get away with it?:yeees:

Essentially. It was years ago now though. Havn't spoken to the bastard who did it to me in years thank fuck.
    I had two bullying cases.

1. This guy was name-calling and hitting me. I shut him up by headbutting him! The hillarious thing was that he was only 13 years old and he has already been excluded from many schools. He generally wasn't a very popular guy. I got slightly told off by a teacher but she saw the funny side of it :-)

2. Another guy name-called me for a brief period until I grassed him up. The trick here is to speak to a teacher who you're really close to.
    I gave up saying anything about being bullied, I got fed up of most of my teachers not listening. I even had "counselling" in year nine, about how to get along with the class and deal with the bullies etc. Fucking waste of time that was.
    I gave up saying anything about being bullied, I got fed up of most of my teachers not listening.

I found this as well. It's even worse when they're stood right in front of you and they can see that someone is hitting and they do nothing about it.:rolleyes: What made it worse was that I ended up crying and nothing was ever done.:rolleyes:

Anyone else found that if you told the teachers you were being bullied or something, they just laughed at you, told you that the person involved (who they hadn't even spoken to) was only messing about and just ignore it?

The only time I actually got listened to was in Year 12. I got all the stick from their friends about it as well and they all decided to tell everyone.:yeees:
    I found this as well. It's even worse when they're stood right in front of you and they can see that someone is hitting and they do nothing about it.:rolleyes: What made it worse was that I ended up crying and nothing was ever done.:rolleyes:

Anyone else found that if you told the teachers you were being bullied or something, they just laughed at you, told you that the person involved (who they hadn't even spoken to) was only messing about and just ignore it?

I've had it happen mor ethen once where teachers have spoken to there other students involved and they have blatently diened any wrong doing, lied and said I was the one bullying them etc.
    I didn't tell anyone as I was worried I'd be told I was being too sensitive and what they were doing wasn't as bad as it seemed to me.
    The reason schools are such twats about bullying, is if there is bullying, they have to write it down, and it gets recorded, and thus makes them look like a worse school. So if the teacher thinks it's a one off, it's not worth the hassle of the paperwork, and so they don't follow it up, normally telling students to 'ignore it'. Whilst that seems harmless enough - surely if it's bad enough the student will follow it up - people who are bullied lose all their self esteem and to be able to tell a teacher is a big step, and then to have a teacher say 'ignore it' just makes the person feel they're a waste of time.

In my personal experience, I was quite close with my teachers, so they did take it seriously. But a friend of mine was chased round the school with a knife, when he reported it, they said he could go home, he was waiting to go home and the guy chucked a brick at him, he threw it back - guess who got suspended??

But thankfully his parents decided never to bring him back to our college. While it's not that rough, for a small community college with about 1000 students, we get our fair share of deaths and violent assaults. Although some teachers are ace and break people's balls if they do it, most are indifferent, and some just deny it happens. There are much worse schools though, so if people who are picked on at MY old college had it rough, I dread to think what victims in the worse colleges are like.

Oh, also, my cousin who is staying with us, was threatened that she'd get stabbed by a group of girls, she mouthed back - she got sent home to us and got a letter written up. Whilst there's two sides to the story, in both cases it was provoked by a group vs. an individual, who frequently do it.

To be fair, if my kids are bullied, I'm not going to beat around the bush, it's soul destroying. My mum tried to run some kids over who were harassing my sister :D fantastic! And she smacked this guy in the face too lol. Whilst she was lucky to get away with it in a legal sense, she was perfectly justified, especially when the 'kids' hang around literally round the corner waiting for my sister to come out to beat her up.
    I've had it happen mor ethen once where teachers have spoken to there other students involved and they have blatently diened any wrong doing, lied and said I was the one bullying them etc.

Been there done that a swell. I remember a few years ago, there was a girl saying that I was writing letters to her boyfriend telling him to that I fancied him and to break up with her and go out with me! At first she said it was tru then she said she was only messing about.:rolleyes:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I got in trouble all the time if I fought back. Fuck, even the teachers treated me like shit. I had too much of my own opinions.

The kids left me alone after I threatened to rip one of thier throats out. That was fun.

I still used to get sent out of registration soon as I opened the door, but that teacher was just a fucking twat. I hated her.

:lol: i love you. I love all of you. Good on you for hitting back, no matter how much trouble you got in!

I was never really bullied. My 'friend' did subtley in college though. Too scared to stand up to her though. That's over now