Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

putting on weight for no reason...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my life is pretty active these days, if i don't cycle somewhere, i walk unless it's over 4 miles in which case i take a bus/train etc, the exception being where i get my shopping from, because i'd have to ride up an A road, and my balance isn't great!

I eat quite well, i eat as well as you can when you have £45.50 a week to live off. Liveing in london and having to travel for 20 mins to get to a supermarket makes it a bit harder but anyway...

i have put on 2 kilos in 2 months, and if anything i have been doing more exercise and eating less sugary junk...i have just had the implanon implant fitted over 2 months ago...

i was trying to loose weight anyway because i'm in the middle of the overweight (not obese) scale of BMI (which i know is a load of crap, but its what the doctor uses who is trying to help me). i should weigh 53 kg but currently weight 66 kg. i'm not happy!

i'm being sent to the dietician anyway, cos i'm not overweight enough for pills, and fitness on prescription wouldn't work because i really really hate gyms, and my life is becoming busier by the day so i really don't have a lot of time!

i've got to write out a food diary for 2 out of 6 weeks...

but what else could i do to sort myself out...?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure many people have said something about contreception making them put on weight. However, I'm not too sure whether that's the implant or just the pill.

If you hate gyms that much, you could just do something like some running or walking more often.
  • Options
    I'm sure you already have the answer to this, but just in case, have you had any blood tests or anything done recently? Some medical condidtions can cause weight gain no matter what you do, such as an imbalanced thyroid.

It is getting nice and summery out, do you like duckies? ;) Maybe you and your man could go to a pond and go for walks in the nice weather. Its quite freakish and how good and unexercisy they feel

Though I guess if you walk almost up to 4 miles... it wouldn't really make a difference. Unhelpful, but good on you for that. That is might impressive in itself. :thumb:
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    I'm sure you already have the answer to this, but just in case, have you had any blood tests or anything done recently? Some medical condidtions can cause weight gain no matter what you do, such as an imbalanced thyroid.

:yes: Does something like this run in the family?

And 4 miles is nothing - I did that as part of Ten Tors last year (actually it would've been about 10) and only had problems because I've got something wrong with my knees. And yes, we had to carry heavy stuff.
  • Options
    but i cycle everywhere i can! I don't know how much more of it i could fit in...i don't drive so everything is walking cycling bus or tube...

sorry i'm being defencive cos i've been trying so hard, and my flat mate has been saying shit about me anyway so i'm really no happy at all, and to find out i'm not losing weight just makes it ten times harder...plus my GP wants me to go to the mental health team not the CFCS cos they are only going to look after my case until november...and thus can't do any "deep" work...plus i'm in the process of being diagnosed with dyspraxia and my world seems to be jsut fucking up!

i was sent for a blood test for feeling exhausted over a month ago...and didn't go...but i might talk to my GP and see if she will send me for this...
  • Options
    Walk instead of taking the bus/tube then. I walk pretty much everywhere. The only place I don't walk to is my work placement but that's because it can be very dark early in the morning to walk there.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Walk instead of taking the bus/tube then. I walk pretty much everywhere. The only place I don't walk to is my work placement but that's because it can be very dark early in the morning to walk there.

She said she does unless it's over 4 miles, which is fair enough. That's an hour at average walking pace.
  • Options
    I do know that. And 4 miles is nothing. I do that most weekends.
  • Options
    Just because you walk over that doesn't mean that it is nothing. 4 miles is quite alot to walk somewhere. It is beyond impressive that she does and something to be very proud of.
  • Options

So do plenty of people.

TT: Speak to the doctor and get another blood test done as there may be an underlying cause to your weight problems. ANY hormonal contraceptive will could make you put on weight simply because of the way they affect the body, worth having a quick chat with your GP. You seem to be doing the right things so keep at them, and ignore your shit talking flatmate, people like that will always bring you down when you feel bad.
  • Options
    Is quite alot of your weight muscle?
  • Options

Ugh, what a horrible attitude!

Nothing useful to add, except maybe check your blood, and don't worry if you're 'overweight', as long as you're not ill or anything, it just gives you a curvy figure which is good in most people's books! :)
  • Options
    What?

Anyway, getting back to the topic:
    I' sure I read somewhere about drinking water instead of eating if you feel hungry as this may help. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong - could be thinking of something else)
  • Options
    I' sure I read somewhere about drinking water instead of eating if you feel hungry as this may help. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong - could be thinking of something else)

Your right. The body often confuses thrist for hunger. Keeping hydrated will help you feel better and will keep everything working normally.
  • Options

Just for reference, 4 miles *is* a long way, and will (as I mentioned at the 4mph average - less than that if you have little legs) take an hour to do. Hardly an option every day if you have to get to work. These 4 miles can often take in some pretty nasty areas and so it just isn't an option for some people. So what if you do that most weekends?

Trinity is putting the effort in, but struggling with the results.
  • Options
    What?

Anyway, getting back to the topic:

This is indeed sometimes correct, and yes keeping hydrated will keep your body in better shape. Sometimes you're just plain hungry though...

Just trying to remember where I saw a link about the amount of water you should be drinking compared to your lifestyle.

Arses - I can't find it. It was on MSN.co.uk and was pretty interesting. It suggested a disproving theory to the 8 glasses a day thing, saying that was an unnecessary figure. Bah. Where is it?!