Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving up.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey. I don’t know if this should be in relationships or Health & fitness.

For those that don’t know me here’s a brief summary before I start: I’m 20 Living at home while at Uni, Uni isn’t going well I’ve had to retake modules from last year this year and that hasn’t gone to plan so I’ve put in for a leave of absence.

I was ‘diagnosed’, for want of a better word, dyslexic dyspraxic a few years ago now, although recent events have caused people to consider whether I have anything more serious like aspergers syndrome or something. Which I guess would make sense really as I have difficulty stringing an understandable sentence together in public and have never really had any form of relationship with anyone.

I dunno I’m sorry this last year has just been really hard for me, I haven’t really talked to anyone in this new year group and the years almost gone and I wont actually see any of them again anyway so I guess it doesn’t matter. I guess I've kind of given up on life, or at least trying to have one, I mean I used to play with a band but Ive kind of stopped going to practices because I dont really feel part of it, and it makes me feel crap when I go because everyone else is sitting round talking about how good last night was and so on and I just sit there because I have nothing to add because I dont know what theyre talking about.

I don’t really know the point of this post its not really a vent or a rant its just a moan at how life can suck sometimes or maybe I’ve just not noticed it before.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Although I am already seeing a counsellor about depression but its not really helping.

Sorry to have taken your time.

Comments

• Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    I was ‘diagnosed’, for want of a better word, dyslexic dyspraxic a few years ago now, although recent events have caused people to consider whether I have anything more serious like aspergers syndrome or something. Which I guess would make sense really as I have difficulty stringing an understandable sentence together in public and have never really had any form of relationship with anyone.

Are there any support groups out there that you can join so that you do not feel so alieneted?
  • Options
    One of my friends goes to Loughborough Uni - he's dyslexic. He goes to a study support session on a Wednesday afternoon. I think it's DANS (L'bro Uni's name for it) you need to see for help on this one :)
  • Options
    One of my friends goes to Loughborough Uni - he's dyslexic. He goes to a study support session on a Wednesday afternoon. I think it's DANS (L'bro Uni's name for it) you need to see for help on this one :)

Thanks. I already recieve support from DANS, I just get very nervous in large or even small groups, so I dont know how I would deal with a group type thing that you suggest. Im sorry.
  • Options
    Don't be sorry to us - everyone gets nervous about something :)

Can they do one-on-one kind of help too?

I know my friend had a complete nightmare over Christmas, thinking about giving up uni because he was behind on his work due to losing track of things due to his dyslexia. He went to DANS in a bit of a state and they sat him (and his parents) down and explained all the help they could offer. Obviously he went for the group thing as he's fairly outgoing and also it would boost his social life, meeting new people etc etc, but they could probably offer you a different kind of support that would work for you if the current methods aren't helping :)
  • Options
    Don't be sorry to us - everyone gets nervous about something :)

Can they do one-on-one kind of help too?

I know my friend had a complete nightmare over Christmas, thinking about giving up uni because he was behind on his work due to losing track of things due to his dyslexia. He went to DANS in a bit of a state and they sat him (and his parents) down and explained all the help they could offer. Obviously he went for the group thing as he's fairly outgoing and also it would boost his social life, meeting new people etc etc, but they could probably offer you a different kind of support that would work for you if the current methods aren't helping :)

Thanks. Tbh they are still actually trying to find out what is wrong with me as the head of DANS has sent me to see the mental health person for the University, although Im still waiting to hear from him and what his suggestions are. Im sorry I posted this because theres not much anyone can really do for me all I can do is wait for other people to get back to me. I dunno lifes just getting t me again.