Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diet (is not good)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What I normally eat is currently along the lines of this:

No breakfast whatsoever

Bottle of fizzy drink, crisps and maltesers for lunch (sometimes I even go without lunch either)

rather greasy, two quid pizza after getting home

something random for dinner like wedges and chips

at weekends, I manage to drag myself out of bed to get a pot noodle for breakfast. pot noodles for breakfast. that's how bad it's become.

any suggestions on what changes should be made to this diet?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should have breakfast.
    In a nutshell. EVERYTHING.

There have been plenty of threads on this recently - read one of them :)
    you're missing out so many food groups, its no wonder you have to "drag yourself out of bed" you must have pretty low energy levels. Breakfast is a good place to start, cereal (not sugar loaded crap like co-co pops) toast or something like fruit and yogurt. For lunch try salads, sandwiches, jacket potatoes and low sugar drinks. Dinner try encorperating some veg, proteins, carbs like pasta or rice.
    I think that you know that your diet is unhealthy and so some commitment will be required to change this. Food doesnt have to be difficult or fiddly - usually the most basic ingredients make the most flavoursome food.

Why not have a look at a local bookstore for 'easy meals for one' cookbooks? :)

e.g. http://tinyurl.com/2r5s24
    Short answer is you're not eating enough, and the stuff that you do eat is packed with saturated fats, sugar and salt.

The food and drink forum has a lot of helpful people who have some very good knowledge and ideas on inexpensive healthy food that's quick and easy to make. There has been a lot said on diet recently in this forum, do a quick search and you'll find some good info.
    You do need to change everything.
    It's true what they say, if you eat shit you will feel like shit.

Personally, as i'm at Uni i have to feed myself, and i generally don't have much an appetite so i have one meal a day and that's it.

I think your emphasis on food is on ease to prepare, so i reckon this could be a good alternative:

Breakfast:
    Toast with Vitalite (has to be vitalite because it was made for toast :heart: )
    Fruit Juice (i love fresh orange juice in the morning)

Lunch:
    Sandwich and Apple. Doesn't really matter what is in the sandwich, but my personal favourite is lettuce, tomato, cucumber with double gloucester cheese and salad cream. This takes seconds to make, and all the fresh stuff will last for at least a week and a half in the fridge :)

Maybe take a bottle of water to college and drink it throughout the day, fizzy drinks are not neccesary. Not one bit. When you can't afford them, you'll realise how easy it is to do without them.

Dinner
    My dinner is usually pasta, rice, noodles or chips.
    A pasta meal i have regularly that takes under 10 minutes (less than wedges etc.) consists of chopped peppers, onion and garlic fried with fresh chicken. When it's fried chuck some tomato passata (basically it's the middle ground between tomato sauce and tomato paste) on it, let it simmer while you drain the pasta, then put the pasta back in the pan, chuck the sauce over it and leave it for about 2 minutes.

Dead dead easy to do, and easily modified for rice / noodles if you change the tomato sauce to a stir fry sauce

If you want chips instead, just prepare a simple side salad with them, and then maybe instead of a burger or something just do a few extra chips and stick some in breadbun.

The whole days food probably costs no more than £2.00. If you're hungry inbetween, fresh fruit is perfect, i really like grapes, and if i'm dead bored chopped mango in natural greek yoghurt is amazing
    For breakfast - scrambled eggs on toast is always good. Quick and easy. Or porridge - fills you up and is also easy. Cereal, fruit, toast etc

Dinner - steamed veg with most meals (unless of course veg doesnt go with it) Salmon and potatoes are easy to do. Chicken is easy too. I could go on cause there are so many.

Drink lots of water too.
    id make sure you have a breakfast. it can also be quicker, cheaper, healthier and easier to make a meal.
    personally, most days i go for:

3 weetabix and a banana. sometimes shreadies/cornflakes.

jacket potatoes / stirfry / pasta.....all simple/easy/cheap to cook. can make double/tripple portions for the next day. add tuna/peppers/sweetcorn/chicken/tomatoes....whatever.
    snack on fruit.

i drink mostly water and orange juice.

that is basically what i eat most days. i do have quite a lot of chocolate too. and pasty/pies if im in town. but i try to get an apple or a banana in the evening aswell. this diet works out extremely cheap, and i dont spend much time preparing any meal.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I would also say your diet needs a complete change. Avoid any ready made microwave meals, any quick fix meals like pot noodles. Its crap you don't need with hardly no nutrients. Try and get in to a routine of eating breakfast as this is one of the most important meals of the day, as someone above said porridge is a good one possible followed by some fruit. Try your best to consume your 5 a day, also plenty of water keep this up with 3 balanced meals in a day it should make you feel alot better.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Even more spam, you're a busy boy.

How is this Spam?, this guy is asking for diet advice, so I’m directing him to some great Nutritionists that I know. Let him decide if its good or not.
    Which also happens to be a commercial website :rolleyes:

ETA Your posts have been removed so it's obviously not just me that thinks it's spam :D
    do you seriously have no understanding of what foods are good for you? do you live with your parents?
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Which also happens to be a commercial website :rolleyes:

ETA Your posts have been removed so it's obviously not just me that thinks it's spam :D

Ok, that’s true and seen as the Forum policy does state no commercial "advertising", I am in the wrong there. Apologies.

It may be a commercial website, but its still a great resource and could help hornet893 greatly, which is the point?

My other posts where not "Spam" nor were they intended to be, its genuine useful information that I’m suggesting, which unfortunately conflicts with forum rules.