Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Plastic bags.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    Anyone else remember when supermarkets used to leave the boxes that were empty after stacking the shelves near the tills for customers to reuse. Given the high environmental cost and low output of recycled card/paper - wouldn't it be worth doing that again? I always found it easier to carry a box than a flimsy bag.

Our Tesco and LIDL does that - LIDL charge for bags so people really either use the free boxes or only buy the minimum bags they need.
  • Options
    Living at home i only tend to buy little bits at a time, and i have quite a big handbag so i usually just chuck stuff in that rather than getting plastic bags.
  • Options
    I think tescos idea is good how u can get points for re-usin bags but i doubt many people can be bothered to do. i always try to re-use bags when i can though i like to do my bit lol
  • Options
    The woman in Boots put one bottle of deodorant in a bag for me the other day. And I just put that bag straight into my own backpack. It's really irritating. We have a whole carrier bag of carrier bags at home, and every day we use one as a mini-bin bag, which we then put into the big black bin, instead of buying big bin bags.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    The woman in Boots put one bottle of deodorant in a bag for me the other day. And I just put that bag straight into my own backpack.

I'd just say "sorry don't need a bag for that." Happens to me all the time in our local shop where they get a bag out and all you're getting is a can of coke and a packet of crisps.

There's a bag tax in the Republic here and I'm sure elsewhere in Europe, Britain needs to wake up and realise that they're going to have to do something sooner rather than later about their general apathy to the environment.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Britain needs to wake up and realise that they're going to have to do something sooner rather than later about their general apathy to the environment.

I'm not sure that there is much apathy and I don't think Britain is much worse than other similar European countries. Electricity is cheap in France, nobody there seems to bother too much about saving energy. And unsurprisingly you see lots of gas guzzling German luxury cars in Germany (and cruising at 120mph on the speed limitless autobahn burns a lot of fuel).

We constantly hear all sorts of things being justified by the 'fight against climate change.' I don't think Britain is apathetic. I think it just seems that unlike almost every other country in Europe we are not taking the easy and simple steps to be environmentally friendly (such as charging for plastic bags) and instead are having to put up with constant hysteria about flying. And I've no idea what is with this idea of not collecting rubbish weekly. Sounds like a great way to increase fly tipping...great for the environment.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'd just say "sorry don't need a bag for that." Happens to me all the time in our local shop where they get a bag out and all you're getting is a can of coke and a packet of crisps.

I've noticed this as well. There are some shops who ask if tyou want a bag. And I'm sure the corner shop will only give you a bag if you buy quite a few things.
  • Options
    At least some supermarkets have started using biodegradable bags (can't remember which ones though).

Paper bags like in the US, or charging for plastic bags is the way forward IMO.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    My favourite thing ever about supermarket shopping in Germany and Austria was that loads of people used ye olde picnic baskets (obviously not hampers, the actual baskets) to transport their shopping...

You mean like this?

Basket.jpg

I can remember my nan using one of those. I had a toy one as a child, I remember taking it to the shop and being allowed to carry something non breakable home in it. Also had this kind which I remember my mum used to use. Everyone used to use a basket or a shopping bag as I recall it. Not because of the environment; because it was just normal, and we were too tight to fork out for plastic bags.

6610310.jpg
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    Basket.jpg

I can remember my nan using one of those. I had a toy one as a child, I remember taking it to the shop and being allowed to carry something non breakable home in it.]

That is the cutest awwh :)
  • Options
    Basket.jpg

If its a choice of carrying one of these around Sainsbury or destroying the enviroment. I will choose the latter :D
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Basket.jpg

If its a choice of carrying one of these around Sainsbury or destroying the enviroment. I will choose the latter :D

Men didn't do the shopping in those days, and if they were forced to they used a cardboard box. :D
  • Options
    I use a rucksack which I've had for about 7 years mainly for smaller shop, then the re-usable carriers from Wilkinsons, then the "bags for life" from Tesco. I also have 2 LARGE Aldi material bags for life which are great for bread as the loaves don't get squashed, I also have cool bags which I bought to put my chilled/frozen stuff in.

Only problem is that most of my shopping is done in Asda where they insit on putting stuff in a bag unless you ask them not to, THEN when I don't have my shopping in their bags I get stopped on the way out (I keep my bags in the car when I'm doing a BIG shop, but put them all inside my rucksack when I go on foot) and asked if I can show them my reciept! One staff member did say "I know it's stupid, you're doing your bit for the environment and here I am asking you to prove you bought the fully trolley of shopping...it's mad isn't it but I have to do it!" :lol: I think they've gotten used to seeing me now as I haven't been asked for the receipt for over a month :thumb: