Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

SPSS + Mac OS X + Vista + Bootcamp = muchos deniro

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all. Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I have a mac, but I need to run a piece of software (SPSS for the statistians among you) which only runs on windows (well, you can get it for mac os x as well. At the slightly prohibitive cost of $1600....). Anyways, in order to do this I need to download bootcamp (£43), buy XP or vista (£70) and then buy a license for SPSS (£15). Still, slightly expensive when all I'll be running is SPSS for some stats. Can anyone think of any workarounds that will cost a lot less money? Cheers.

P.S. My uni doesn't have a site licensed version for mac os x, only windows

Comments

• Options
    Might be a work around perhaps, but Bootcamp is free! You shouldn't be paying for it! http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

:)
  • Options
    Yeah, but you have to have a working copy of windows xp or vista, and I don't...
  • Options
    P.S. My uni doesn't have a site licensed version for mac os x, only windows

Well theres windows for you?:chin:
  • Options
    Is it a demanding program? You could pick up a refurbished PC with a valid copy of XP. We got a few celerons with 256MB RAM at work for £40 each with XP Home, and a few P4's with 512MB RAM for £125 with XP Pro. All excluding VAT though.
  • Options
    ah ofcourse, a second hand pc is always a good idea for something like that id say.
  • Options
    You don't need to pay for bootcamp, It's a free download.

Here's what you do:

1) Download Bootcamp (Free)
    2) Borrow a mates XP disc

You then get 30 days to use the operating system without activating, So if you can do what you need in 30 days then that's fine.

Otherwise, Windows isn't £70, XP Home SP2 is 60 and craptastic vista is 54 quid

Failing that, If another machine in the house has a XP certificate of authenticity, and you happen to stumble across an xp home oem disc... then you're sorted :-).

I ended up having to install a warez'd copy of XP Pro on my macbook, I had two genuine licences, but microsoft chewed them up (I was switching between virtualised and native environments on the same cd-key and I exceeded the amount of times I could re-activate :()
  • Options
    Looking at SPSS, on the website it says both Windows and Mac versions of the software cost $1599.. Where'd you find it for $15 :P

edit: oops, uni licenced. I see :)

editx2: seems the OS X version of SPSS woulden't work very well on an intel mac anyway. The version they have is for the older PPC macs.
  • Options
    We used this program at uni. It was rubbish.
  • Options
    oh dear, noog said craptastic and vista in the same sentence, quick! hide from coolme!!!

So can anyone in your uni get windows for like $15 then?
  • Options
    Looks like I'm just going to have to buy the uni licensed copy for ny desktop pc. Reason I want it on my mac is cause I might be moving to the States for a year, and I won't be able to take my PC obviously.

As far as I know Matteh, any matriculated student of GU can buy a site license for SPSS (not windows). It's £15 and that gives you access from September till August. It's a pretty decent deal.
  • Options
    Looks like I'm just going to have to buy the uni licensed copy for ny desktop pc. Reason I want it on my mac is cause I might be moving to the States for a year, and I won't be able to take my PC obviously.

As far as I know Matteh, any matriculated student of GU can buy a site license for SPSS (not windows). It's £15 and that gives you access from September till August. It's a pretty decent deal.

if you have the windows license one already you should be able to install it on a bootcamp mac that boots up into windows :p
  • Options
    Weee Hide from mee!

*Has no clue whats going on*
  • Options
    if you have the windows license one already you should be able to install it on a bootcamp mac that boots up into windows :p
    I thought that too, until I looked for the instal disk. I got an emachine, and the XP OS was already preinstalled on to the computer. I was just given a cd key to unlock it :(