Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pulling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What exactly is this "pulling?" I always thought you would use the word if you had sexual intercourse with that nights prospect, but I read things here and see people use the word when they seem to have made almost eye contact with a person. So, enlighten me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As far as I'm concerned "pulling" means kissing someone (properly eg with tongues), and further. Too many people use the term for just chatting someone up, getting their number etc even if they don't kiss.
    most people refer to kissing as pulling.
    i thought it meant you were "well in there"
    Ie "get your coat, youve pulled"
    Not that youd actually done anything.
    I've always used it to refer to kissing a girl with tongues (or bloke if you're that way inclined) Anything above that is a bonus I'd imagine
    Yeah, always classed kissing or anything more as pulling.
    That would be "hooking up" if you're in the states like myself.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

:yes: but I have heard people say "they were pulling" as in "they were kissing."

When I was a wee lass, we used to say "getting off with each other." But once me and my sister were talking about it, my Mum overheard me say "I got off with him behind the garage" (What a classy 13 year old I was) and she assumed I meant "Had sex with him." Her reaction was very amusing.

In my opinion, pulling basically means seducing someone, either for a snog (your fave word my_name :p ) or more.
    What exactly does that one mean anyway, "getting off with them". I've heard it used broadly.
    See I'd use pulling if I'd kissed someone in a nightclub/pub situation. Whereas I use "getting off with them" in any other situation for the same thing.
    I thought it's when you are sure something is gonna happen whether it be kissing or having sex or just getting someone's number

:yes:

That's the way I'd use it.

In the last few years I have heard a lot of people use it for kissing though, specially the youngsters!
    To me, pulling means kissing in a pub/club/party, with the exception of things like dares where both kissers are in on it (as opposed to daring you to try and pull someone). It's everything between chatting up and kissing.

Now I'm not a native speaker and have only some feeling about this term's meaning through how I've seen it in use, but that's usually along the lines of what I think when I hear/see it. :yes:
    I use pulling whenever I meet a guy I fancy and he fancies me and we acknowledge it as well as i going further.
    Make sense?
    **Helen** wrote: »
    When I was a wee lass, we used to say "getting off with each other." But once me and my sister were talking about it, my Mum overheard me say "I got off with him behind the garage" (What a classy 13 year old I was) and she assumed I meant "Had sex with him." Her reaction was very amusing.

Ah dear, Helen, I think it's reflective of our advanced years, as that's the term I used at school too :p
    At school we used to say you'd "met" someone if you kissed them. Example "I met Darren in the bus stop last night". Confusing even for the idiots who used that phrase :razz:

Pulled to me is when you've left somewhere with someone with the intention of some naughtiness occurring. Would only say it retrospectively, too, like talking about someone you pulled or whatever. I definitely wouldn't say "pulled" for kissing, though a lot of people seem to!
    I've always used the term pulling for kissing people with tongues, or 'getting off'. I don't know why really, it's just what everyone calls it round here. I have heard people use it for when they're certain that they stand a chance with someone before though.
    briggi wrote: »
    At school we used to say you'd "met" someone if you kissed them. Example "I met Darren in the bus stop last night". Confusing even for the idiots who used that phrase :razz:

We had something similar but it was "I went with Katie at the party on Friday night".

We also said stuff like "have you gone with her before?" meaning have you kissed her before.

And if you were seeing someone kinda steady you were 'going with them'.

Ahhh, teenage terminology.
    Addict wrote: »

Lol Donnie says that in Donnie Darko, I thought it was just meant to be taking the piss out of him losing his nerve and coming out with some random phrase...didn't think people actually said that. lol
    Was always 'getting off' with someone in my school days too... which wasn't really that long ago tbh. And if you were a couple with someone you were 'going out' with them... even if you never went anywhere together. :confused:

I'd say pulling was basically when two people acknowledge they like eachother and do something about it. :naughty:
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :yes: but I have heard people say "they were pulling" as in "they were kissing."

In my opinion, pulling basically means seducing someone, either for a snog (your fave word my_name :p ) or more.

LOL

"Getting off" and "tapping off" were what I used to say.
    Kissing properly.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol Donnie says that in Donnie Darko, I thought it was just meant to be taking the piss out of him losing his nerve and coming out with some random phrase...didn't think people actually said that. lol

it's actually a "official" term... I learnt in school (yea, from my teacher), that "going steady with s.o." is being in a relationship with that person.
    Pulling means 'snogging' or 'getting off' with someone - basically kissing.
    Now "getting off" sounds totally sexual. I wouldn't expect that word to mean anything less than everything and the sandwich.
    Addict wrote: »
    We had something similar but it was "I went with Katie at the party on Friday night".

We also said stuff like "have you gone with her before?" meaning have you kissed her before.

Belfast people say "will you see my mate" for kissing.

We say "shifting" where I'm from. "I shifted her last night."
    A new one I've come accross.

"see her over there? I 'greased' her last night"
    my_name wrote: »
    Now "getting off" sounds totally sexual. I wouldn't expect that word to mean anything less than everything and the sandwich.
    I'm sure that way back in the day it used to mean alot more than just kissing. As with most things though, the meaning seems to change over the years.

We used to say we "got off" with people, but then it seemed to changed to "got on". Although that never sounded right to me.

I'd say pulling is kissing someone, like when at a bar/club/etc. But then again, I'd use that term if someone was eyeing up my mate aswell - "Haha, I think you've pulled.."

Shrug.
    Heh, you so cute my_name :heart:

I ended up asking a new teacher from Ireland last year.

We use "hooking up" here. I don't really like it