Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Prescribed anti depressants but not for depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did not want to tag onto the previous anti depression post.

My doctor has prescribed me with amitriptyline 10mg for 'headaches' (do not feel like a normal headache to me) and my frequesnt loss of co-ordination - just until I visit the neurologist. What I want to know is will this have any negative effect on me because I am not depressed?

Tried to look up side effect of amitriptyline but can not find much. Would be great if someone who has been on it could share their experience with me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    amitriptyline can also be prescribed and helps with chronic nerve pain along with sleeplessness as it does have a sedative effect. The fact that you are not depressed should not effect or cause different side effects; you would get the same side effects either way :p
    I was prescribed it to help with exactly those symptoms - nerve pain and sleeplessness, when i had M.E. I didn't really have any side effects, but it also didn't work - and ended up messing up my liver quite a bit (well, that's the only thing that they could think of having caused it, and it's a known side effect).

So i came off it pretty quickly. It's probably just me though.
    I was given it to help me sleep a while back, but it gave me really nasty nightmares. I hope you have better luck.
    I am on antidepressants to help me sleep. They don't help me sleep but I feel like I rule at the moment, so maybe I was a little depressed eh? But then, not being able to sleep at regular times is depressing! It hink the dose you're on would be really low compared to what they'd prescribe for depression.
    I think ADs are also prescribed for the pain which comes with shingles too! (it's on the Shingles info of NHS Direct - my colleague has them at the minute so I looked it up).
    what was she given?
    Sikorah wrote: »
    what was she given?

My colleague? Nothing as far as I know, but ADs (particularly amitriptyline) are mentioned in the Shingles info page of NHS Direct, that's all I was saying..
    amitriptyline is helping a little but giving me very strange nightmares
    My fella was on amitriptyline for his migraines. Really had a bad effect on his moods and made him depressed, argumentitive, self obsessed and angry all the time. He also was constantly tired when on them. But everyone has different side effects. It was like going out with a completely different person when he was on them and I was so relieved when he came off.
    I went on them about 3 years ago for stress headaches and problems sleeping when i was going through a rough patch. Found they really helped me for the six months i was on them with no side effects or problems. In fact like Katralla i felt quite sunny and relaxed but that could have been due to a better sleep pattern. :)