Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Plastic bags.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anybody else surprised that despite the ever increasing emphasis on the environment nothing has been done about plastic bags?

People in Holland, Germany and most other European countries seem to be capable of using reusable shopping bags - isn't it about time something was done about plastic bags in Britain?

Working in a supermarket I find it hard not to be disgusted at some people who insist on wrapping individual (already packaged items) in separate plastic bags - then coming back the next day and doing exactly the same thing, not re-using anything...

Comments

• Options
    You used to have to pay for carrier bags in most, if not all supermarkets. I'm sure people used to use shopping bags more in those days.

Although having said that, I don't take my carrier bags out and reuse them for shopping (mainly because I usually get it delivered), but they do all get reused for other things.
  • Options
    I re-use my carrier bags for other things - for example, they get used in my little bedroom bin.

I'm tempted to buy a proper shopping bag though as most of the ones I've had recently have broken on me :(
  • Options
    We use those 'bag for life' bags from Sainsburys'. On the odd occassion we forget and have to use carrier bags, we use them for bin liners and cat poo :)
  • Options
    When we shop we use the durable reusable ones from Sainsbury's, they are quite handy because they fold down small enough to carry about in your bag to take shopping with you.

At work though it's shocking the amount of bags people use up - we get through a couple of boxes of them a day. It's the Co-op though, and the bags aren't very strong. Since they have made them biodegradeable, they aren't strong enough to trust with heavy things such as bottles of wine and so we are forced to double bag things like that to stop them breaking.

Some people do bring bags to reuse but I hate having to pack them in those bags because they are usually really skanky. There is one bloke in particular that I can't stand packing for. Even though we are supposed to pack for people I pass his stuff through for him to pack because they bags he brings are gross.
  • Options
    I think it's shocking that more hasn't been done about this. People are capable of re-using bags, as is proven by the way people just do it in large swathes of continental Europe. I don't see why it hasn't been stepped up, as it is possibly the most obvious way of reducing littering and waste.

As for me, I use my big, tough Lidl bags everytime I shop. They rule :thumb:
  • Options
    I used to use new ones every time at uni, and shove them in a cupboard afterwards. You should've seen how many I had to take back to Somerfield at the end of the year.
  • Options
    I tend to get shopping delivered, in which case i give the bags back to the driver and they recycle them. I still seem to end up with a collection though. I do reuse them if I remember, and if I actually go to the supermarket on foot we take a backpack and our lovely tartan sholley so dont use any bags at all then.
  • Options
    I tend to use my rucksack to carry things home in from the supermarket if it's a small shop. If it's a bigger one, I take my rucksack, boyfriend and his rucksack, and those fantastic doi bags :D
  • Options
    Working in a supermarket I find it hard not to be disgusted at some people who insist on wrapping individual (already packaged items) in separate plastic bags - then coming back the next day and doing exactly the same thing, not re-using anything...

We get our shopping delivered once a week and I've noticed that sometimes they only put a few small items into a bag, so we end up with loads of bags of shopping but not that much shopping.

if I'm in town and go and buy something, I do tend not to ask for bag and just put stuff in the bag I already have on me.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    We get our shopping delivered once a week and I've noticed that sometimes they only put a few small items into a bag, so we end up with loads of bags of shopping but not that much shopping.
    Probably because it's mainly old ladies that get their shopping delivered, so you can't exactly hand them a bag with all their tins and bottles in.
  • Options
    Working in a supermarket I find it hard not to be disgusted at some people who insist on wrapping individual (already packaged items) in separate plastic bags

That used to make me sick. People wrap already wrapped bananas in plastic bags. Melons in bags - they have their own protective skin! I don't even wrap up carrots or onions (unless theres loads). You're going to peel them anyway. The worst is when they put a pre-packaged sandwich in a plastic bag, and then take it out to eat it before they've even reached the door. Fucks sake
  • Options
    sometimes I remember to take my own bags, and then when I don't they get used around the house for rubbish.
  • Options
    i work at tesco and we started giving green clubcard points for every bag (or something else) you re-use instead of using a new one. it took a while to catch on but slowly more and more people are doing it. i take my bags to re-use and i try to go without bags where and when i can to do my bit. boots are trying to encourage people to not use a bag when they can but no one's ever said to me 'can you manage without a bag?' - and i think when no incentive is offered, people will be less likely to not use a bag. i know quite a few customers use their carrier bags at home as bin bags etc, so they're helping in that way.
  • Options
    I think when shopping is delivered, they bag things together from the same section of the shop they come from. Also when putting things in bags it's often so you can carry things easily, rather than keeping your melons clean.
  • Options
    Anyone else remember when supermarkets used to leave the boxes that were empty after stacking the shelves near the tills for customers to reuse. Given the high environmental cost and low output of recycled card/paper - wouldn't it be worth doing that again? I always found it easier to carry a box than a flimsy bag.
  • Options
    I think when shopping is delivered, they bag things together from the same section of the shop they come from.
    yes and thats UBER annoying.
    they use a carrier per aisle, so if you only have one thing from that aisle, they will just have one item in a carrier bag.
  • Options
    Supermarkets still do that where I live!
  • Options
    we still do that sometimes.:)
  • Options
    yes and thats UBER annoying.
    they use a carrier per aisle, so if you only have one thing from that aisle, they will just have one item in a carrier bag.
    I know, it's so silly.

Jim - my environmental science teacher at A level said something about supermarkets not leaving cardboard boxes for customers anymore because they have to recycle a certain proportion of their cardboard and if it was being left under the tills for customers it didn't count as being recycled and so they were missing their quotas. I don't know if that's rubbish or not but it seems like there is truth in it.
  • Options
    My mum and dad use the tesco reusbale ones, but we use the plastic carrier bags from wherever as bin liners in the house. The little Tesco near where to I used to work whould pack EVERYTHING into a bag for you, I used to have ask for it NOT to go into a bag as it would fit into my work bag or would be used/eaten once I got into the office.
  • Options
    Jim - my environmental science teacher at A level said something about supermarkets not leaving cardboard boxes for customers anymore because they have to recycle a certain proportion of their cardboard and if it was being left under the tills for customers it didn't count as being recycled and so they were missing their quotas. I don't know if that's rubbish or not but it seems like there is truth in it.

That's the explanation I'd heard, too. However our local Aldi still does it, and it's still very prevalent in Europe along with reusable plastic/canvas bags etc. My favourite thing ever about supermarket shopping in Germany and Austria was that loads of people used ye olde picnic baskets (obviously not hampers, the actual baskets) to transport their shopping... or if they had less to buy they just whacked it all in their bike basket and went on their merry way :thumb:

It's a definite difference in culture also that we tend to do bigger, weekly shops. Obviously some people do that in Europe too, but they're very into picking bits and pieces up as and when they need them. Probably a big hint as to why their diets are better than ours and they aren't so wasteful in that respect.

That's the end of my Europe appreciation for now :razz:
  • Options
    We reuse our bags, we've got loads hanging on hooks in the cupboard under the stairs and my mum uses a big aldi bag for her shopping. They're so handy, but i still think they should all be bio degradeable.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    That used to make me sick. People wrap already wrapped bananas in plastic bags. Melons in bags - they have their own protective skin! I don't even wrap up carrots or onions (unless theres loads). You're going to peel them anyway. The worst is when they put a pre-packaged sandwich in a plastic bag, and then take it out to eat it before they've even reached the door. Fucks sake

i feel exactly the same!

i work in asda and its getting harder and harder not to say things to people - i have to bite my tongue and stop myself from saying do you REALLY need a bag for those two things? people are just lazy sometimes.

supermarkets have sort of started offering incentives though, like lucifer said at tesco...from april in asda, if you take back 5 normal plastic carrier bags you get one of the bigger bag for life ones for free. hopefully so they'll start using them instead of millions of carrier bags.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

Exactly that... What is wrong with some people?
    Jim V wrote: »
    Anyone else remember when supermarkets used to leave the boxes that were empty after stacking the shelves near the tills for customers to reuse. Given the high environmental cost and low output of recycled card/paper - wouldn't it be worth doing that again? I always found it easier to carry a box than a flimsy bag.

We leave the boxes that wine come in for customers to re-use. Other cardboard is recycled. Although, might make more sense to leave all the boxes like you say.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I can't understand why we don't go back to using paper bags - they can be re-used and even recycled, we could make them out of all the free newspapers that get dished out and not read

Don't some shops like O2 use these anyway? (I could be thinking of something else but I'm sure that's what they gave me I got something from them)
    they use a carrier per aisle, so if you only have one thing from that aisle, they will just have one item in a carrier bag

That's just stupid. And it's really a waste of a plastic bag when there's only something small like a pack of mints or something.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's amazing that all those who have replied thus far do their bit with reusing and recycling carrier bags but those who don't bother are staying silent (thus far!) ;)

I'm the Environment Rep at work and I started a recycling scheme for plastic bags which has been an amazing success. Staff fill two wheelie bins a week with plastic carrier bags and I take them to Tesco as they have a recycling facility there. I am happy that the staff at work are using the facilities I've made available but now the scheme has been up and running for several months I am starting to get a bit miffed because some of the bags people bring are for supermarkets that offer recycling facilities and I feel like they're using my scheme as a 'middle man'. It takes time to collect them and then drive all the way to Tesco (which is about 8 miles from where I live) once a week.
  • Options
    We tend to keep the plastic bags we get and just re-use them for stuff. At my nursery, we ask the parents to give us their old plastic bags to put dirty nappies and wet clothes to go home in.
  • Options
    We use them as bin bags...