Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Davina talks sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
She's hoping to do a Jamie Oliver to sex education. No, not make them organic, use her celebrity status to start a campaign to make sex education more, well educational, in schools. What do you think? Do you think it will work? Is it sad that we have to wait until celebrities bring up anything nowadays before anyone in power will listen?

Shit, should've added a link.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The hard hitting HIV / AIDS TV Commercials of the 1980's reduced the number of cases by a huge amount ... today's adverts are tame and don't get the message across

The Dutch are obviously doing something right that the UK needs to learn from.
    Are they going to be any features on getting parents and their teens to communicate with each other about sex? I think that's one of the reasons the Dutch are so successful - generally, relationships at home are open and honest, and teens and their parents can discuss sex freely. I think the average age for a teen to lose their virginity out there is 17, even though the age of consent is 12.
    go_away wrote: »
    I think the average age for a teen to lose their virginity out there is 17, even though the age of consent is 12.

Try 16. Just read that it's "effectively" 12 though. How's that?
    They probably don't prosecute anyone over the age of 12....come to think of it neither do we.

I think awareness is a good idea, however from past experience maybe making the classes, single sex would be a good idea. I found it very hard to learn anything, because as you get in any class, some people act the fool to "impress" the opposite sex.
    I do think sex education needs to be alot better. I didn't realise that we only have to have 1 biology lesson and the rest is up to school. We had a few anatomy lessons in year 7 then in year 9 there was a sex day workshop thing. And every now and then the nurse comes round and tells us loads of horror stories. I do think it should start earlier and be consistent, because then they're used to it and take it in, most of the time everyone just sits there blushing and looking away. 2 girls in my year had babies in year 10, and a girl had an abortion in year 8. And that's just a few. But I don't think it's just down to the schools, parents should be more open about it too and the only way to break the cycle is to change the attitude. Having said that though, even if your sex ed is crap and you're mature enough to have sex, you should be mature enough to do the research yourself anyway and take the right precautions.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Having said that though, even if your sex ed is crap and you're mature enough to have sex, you should be mature enough to do the research yourself anyway and take the right precautions.

Isn't that the main issue though? A lot of kids are having sex when they clearly aren't mature enough to? Maybe physically they are, but not mentally, and it's easy to get pressured into something. I like the idea of a dedicated sex and relationships teacher, rather than using the science teacher like we did.
    Isn't that the main issue though? A lot of kids are having sex when they clearly aren't mature enough to? Maybe physically they are, but not mentally, and it's easy to get pressured into something. I like the idea of a dedicated sex and relationships teacher, rather than using the science teacher like we did.

They should be taught more about the emotional side too. But tbh, you can't stop them from doing it whether they're ready or not, just try and reduce that number that are doing it too early and going about it the wrong way.
    we had the best sex ed ever in our school, didnt stop most of my class mates gettin pregnant at 15/16 though!

totally agree with ballerina, if a kid wants to do it, they are gonna do it regardless

take smoking for example, i was brought up well, taught right from wrong, told cigs were bad, but that didnt stop me trying one at 12

we can educate kids, but thats all, you cant live their lives for them
    There should definitely be more sex ed in schools. It'd be beneficial earlier on, but you'll always get the parents that protest saying that telling kids at an earlier age means they are suddenly going to want to go out and try it. There are some that probably will, but at least they'll have a better idea of what they're doing. The only sex ed i received was when i was 15, and in a mixed class. By then most of the people in the room had done at least something and were pretty much self taught, so we all sort of tuned out. It was a complete waste of time and would have been more useful at say 11/12.

As for Davina, she might make the campaign more high profile now but i can't see what effect she'll have in the long run.
    MLY wrote: »
    As for Davina, she might make the campaign more high profile now but i can't see what effect she'll have in the long run.

Well Jamie Oliver seems to have gotten his own way.

Oh, and the evidence says that the sex education system in Holland (and a number of other European countries) results in teenagers on average delaying the age at which they lose their virginity, so I don't see the risk in telling them about it making them want to do it (if that's the case, I guess we really shouldn't be teaching about all those kings that got beheaded). Treat teenagers like adults, and they'll act like adults. Go the abstinance route, and teach kids that they shouldn't be doing something, and you'll only push them to do it, as is demonstrated by the pathetic 90% failure rate of such schemes in the USA.

Oh and littleali, I think that proves my point. You had it drummed into you from a young age that smoking was bad, and you tried it regardless. This isn't what is being proposed. No-one is proposing to teach children that sex is bad, dangerous or can ruin your life.
    Well Jamie Oliver seems to have gotten his own way.

Well time will tell if Davina has the same effect. I'm not sure what shes got to do with sex education though? It's like shes picked a campaign out of a hat or something. At least Jamie had something to do with food.
    i was also told about sex from an early age, didnt stop me from trying it at 15 though haha

nah i understand where you're coming from, but like i said, we were educated very well, not just on sex itself, but emotions, puberty, relationships, yet girls STILL got pregnant

lack of education isnt ALWAYS the problem, kids will be kids, they'll do what they want when THEY want to
    our sex ed was pretty much like in the film mean girls...

'don't have sex, because you WILL get chlamydia and die!'

They just scare you as much as they can. On our sex day we were shown videos of births and 2 teen mums came to talk to us. They strapped a belly onto one of the guys. Then we were shown loads of pictures of manky genitals and they showed us a load of caluclations...if you sleep with x amount of people then you could be catching y amount of peoples germs. It really isn't the way forward.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    They probably don't prosecute anyone over the age of 12....come to think of it neither do we.

I think awareness is a good idea, however from past experience maybe making the classes, single sex would be a good idea. I found it very hard to learn anything, because as you get in any class, some people act the fool to "impress" the opposite sex.

They did this in year 10 in the girls had some sort of talk by the school nurse - learnt sod all. Admittedly, I leanrt more from overhearing stuff (we're in the same classroom at the same time) from the Year 10 Child Care lessons.

I also seemed to have learnt more from here & my parents than I ever have done at school.
    did anyone watch it, if i had a kid i'd want them educated the dutch way
    I watched it and thought that it was excellent. I loved the fact that nothing was taboo there whereas any girl that hinted that she may have tried masturbating over here would be labelled a slapper or something equally as ridiculous.

I know that we can't live kids lives for them but they deserve to have all the information available to them, especially about safe sex. I'm sure that in the past I've had unsafe sex because I didn't want to look an idiot whilst trying to put on a condom for the first time. Daft I know.

The whole thing about learning about relationships and not just sex seemed a really good idea too. I think that the sex education system over here needs completely revamping but then I would say the same about a lot of things in the world of education. We have to prioritise though and I think that would help the country as a whole.
    Fucking hell. I started the thread, and I forgot about the programme. Isn't it a series though?
    Loopi wrote: »
    I think that the sex education system over here needs completely revamping but then I would say the same about a lot of things in the world of education.

:yes:

I had sex education for about 4 years on & off during school. All I seem to have learnt is some stuff abour periods and nothing much about sex. I don't think they mentioned anything about HIV, AIDs, protection or the emotional side of sex either.
    We had the obligitory Cathloic school, "the man put his erect penis into the woman's vagina" demonstrated by a nice animated cross section diagram.
    We had the obligitory Cathloic school, "the man put his erect penis into the woman's vagina" demonstrated by a nice animated cross section diagram.

:lol:
    People constantly say that people shgould be taught about the 'emotional side' of sex.

Sounds like a good idea but how exactly can you teach emotions? Didn't see the programme, do they address it in other countries?
    Can I just say based on the sex test on the homepage I'd strongly question that any real rigour or quality writing will be backing up this campaign. Some of the questions were fundamentally patronising, and some downright scaremongering.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Can I just say based on the sex test on the homepage I'd strongly question that any real rigour or quality writing will be backing up this campaign. Some of the questions were fundamentally patronising, and some downright scaremongering.

And some of them are just plain bizarre.

"What is the speed of sperm when it leaves the end of a man's penis during ejaculation?"

What would it benefit ANYONE to know that?
    Jim V wrote: »
    How many d'ya get right Jim?
    Toadborg wrote: »
    People constantly say that people shgould be taught about the 'emotional side' of sex.

Sounds like a good idea but how exactly can you teach emotions? Didn't see the programme, do they address it in other countries?

I think it's more about teaching people to talk openly about their emotions and opinions regarding sex, in order to get them to understand how they personally feel about it (and how when it comes to decision making, only they have any say about what they're comfortable doing). Even if that has no effect on the age at which people have sex, I'm sure it can only be a positive thing to have a place (other than The Site of course ;)) where people can openly talk about certain issues without being embarrassed.
    I got 32 right - but then again I didn't think single women only masturbate twice a month, so what do I know?
    To be honest, I'd suggest the need to refocus sex education towards improving self-esteem, something that many people I know who have worked with people with STI infections/unwanted pregnancies see as a vital factor.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Miffy wrote: »
    And some of them are just plain bizarre.

"What is the speed of sperm when it leaves the end of a man's penis during ejaculation?"

What would it benefit ANYONE to know that?

:yes: that's exactly the question I pin-pointed.
    I didn't quite get the period question.

When will a girl start having her period ?

A. When she's about 7 1/2 stone.

So does that mean a 7 1/2 stone 4 year old will start having periods ? i thought periods was all about the body maturing/hormones etc, not weight.
    Fucking hell. That means the Olsen twins won't have started yet. Unless you can add the weight together when it's twins.