Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do Slimming Pills Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi just wanted to ask if anyone has tried any slimming pills.
my sister has just started taking something called slender night but im worried it could be dangerous, although she did get it from a chemist, anybody know of it or had any experience with it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know it but think all but ones from the doc are most likely to be a gimmick. Some of them are/were dangerous, but the most commonly known dangerous ingredient- ephedrine, is banned I think.
    Nah, they don't sound too bad. Especially as they're from a chemist. They'll most likely get rid of her excess water or wind or something to make her feel like she's lost weight.
    Some of the other herbal slimming pills like Adios claim to speed up your metabolism, but they don't really work! They're not dangerous either, just a waste of money.

If they were bought off ebay or something, then I'd be worried, but as they're from the local chemists, they're probably just a load of useless herbs :thumb:
    I've tried a couple out of curiousity. The commercials will be your best source of information... "results not typical" :p

One gave me energy for the first 2 times I used it, one gave me headaches and none of them really supressed the appetite.

Alot can also give you heart palaptations or however its spelled. Not fun.

Apperantly there is one now though that is fda approved... not that its any better probably :p
    Well, when MDMA was originally created as a slimming aid. I have friends who swear by the two pills and a line diet...

By 'lose weight' do you mean shitting out a load of water and thinking you've dropped a mass of body fat? I'd steer clear, unfortunately, if someone wants to be lean, it's all down to them, not some miracle product or machine.
    motivation and discipline works a shit load better than any pill on the market.
    and eating less and increasing the amount of exercise - is the best recipe to loose weight. some diet pills are no different than some amphetamines.
    Either they are proper slimming pills (AKA amphetamine type drug) which will work but come with such a long list of side effects you really dont want to take them.

Or they are bunk.
    go_away wrote: »
    Well, when MDMA was originally created as a slimming aid.

Not strictly true, it was first developed as a heart medication by Merck in 1912. However it was used later as a possible slimming pill.
    budda wrote: »
    Not strictly true, it was first developed as a heart medication by Merck in 1912. However it was used later as a possible slimming pill.

At which point was it made illegal? When the Government decided it was too much fun for people? *must stop the fuuunn!!!*
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    At which point was it made illegal? When the Government decided it was too much fun for people? *must stop the fuuunn!!!*

As far as I know it was very much legal till the Misuse of Drugs Act in 1971, but it was almost totally unknown. It wasnt made illegal in the US till the very early 80's.
    budda wrote: »
    As far as I know it was very much legal till the Misuse of Drugs Act in 1971, but it was almost totally unknown. It wasnt made illegal in the US till the very early 80's.

Well, bah humbug to that.