Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Urgent advice needed!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok folks, I'm in that situ where I am just waiting to see what happens and the only thing that will make it more bearable is hopefully some wise words from you good people...

I have a day job which I loathe, it is interminably boring but pays me 25k. I've done it for eight years (I'm 34) and the reason I've stuck it this long is that it is shift work, and that I've managed to make good the time and start building up a career as a writer, which is finally beginning to take off. IN the last year it's meant I've been so tired and so busy I've started to make quite a few mistakes at work.

At Xmas I got dumped by my girlfriend and absolutely went to pieces. Since then I've been really struggling to keep my head above water, and naturally my work has suffered as a result, mistakes and sick days.

I told my boss I was aware of this and was trying to get things back on track but he responded by telling me I was to face formal disciplinary hearing about my poor performance in 2 weeks time. He has also insisted I see the company doctor regarding my frequent absences.

I can't afford to get sacked, and here are my questions...

Where should I look for another job in case I get fired (I've not looked for eight years and I'm out of touch!) I've got a degree in English which isnt worth much and basic PC skills, so I guess I am not gonna wander into another 25k job?

Is my current depression etc something which would help my case?

Any other words of advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously i don't know your company's rules, but i think the hearing would just be a chance for all sides to put their case across and find out what's going on. If they were going to sack you they'd of done it by now, i'd of thought.
    As a result I think they'll either dismiss me or issue a severe final warning. I wonder if my mental state would be grounds for mitigation.
    DrugBoy wrote: »
    As a result I think they'll either dismiss me or issue a severe final warning. I wonder if my mental state would be grounds for mitigation.

Only if you go to a Doctor and get yourself diagnosed with something, I would have thought.
    Yeah, go and see your GP and get yourself signed off sick for a bit. Give yourself some thinking space.
    How can I get myself signed off sick unless I'm ill? Can I just tell him I'm depressed?
    DrugBoy wrote: »
    At Xmas I got dumped by my girlfriend and absolutely went to pieces. Since then I've been really struggling to keep my head above water,

Sounds like you've got problems. Get signed off for stress.