Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back-charging rent?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, bit of a complicated one here..... but basically, is it ok to be charged rent for a previous period? We have been in the building for around 2 months while a lease is being negotiated, and the landlord is trying to charge us full rent for this period. Is that allowed?

Comments

• Options
    If you have paid no rent for the period you have stayed there, I would assume they are well within their rights to demand the rent.

You can't live somewhere and expect not to pay for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Yes, I would say that charging from the date of occupation is more than acceptable.

You rarely get anything for free.
  • Options
    Its a bit more complex than that but i cant give too much away... our previous landlord who also used this building (its not a residential address) left without giving us the 6 months notice that by contract we should have been given- so we are currently in the process of taking over the lease for the entire building. We are being charged rent on the entire building when we only occupy a quarter of it at the moment, we were told taht until the lease was signed we didnt have the right to use any part of it apart from the bit we're in.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Its a bit more complex than that but i cant give too much away... our previous landlord who also used this building (its not a residential address) left without giving us the 6 months notice that by contract we should have been given- so we are currently in the process of taking over the lease for the entire building. We are being charged rent on the entire building when we only occupy a quarter of it at the moment, we were told taht until the lease was signed we didnt have the right to use any part of it apart from the bit we're in.

Right - well that's a whole lot more complicated and perhaps you should have mentioned in your original post :)

This is now out of my knowledge base. I think you need to seek professional advice here.
  • Options
    Yeah- it does put a different spin on it doesnt it :blush: sorry! My solicitor is intervening- I just wondered if anyone had any idea where I might stand, or if they'd gone through the same thing. Cheers though.
  • Options