Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you think less of people…

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when they have an opinion that you disagree with?

Not, like, doing something you don't like, i.e murder or picking their nose. Just opinions -- thoughts. They may act on them, but assume for the question that it's all in your and their heads.

This can be as simple as them liking a food you don't. Do you think less of their character/person because of this? Probably not. It's just food.

Or it could be something more serious, like a political or religious difference. Saw you're a liberal, and someone else thinks conservative political ideals are better. Or, you're an atheist and someone else is religious. Do you think less of them because of these differences?

Or it could be something that has ever greater impact, like someone thinking that black people are lazy, shiftless criminals or nuclear war is a good idea, and you disagree.

Where do you draw the line? Why? Is there even a line to be drawn? How is your opinion of them influenced by their opinions? Conversely, is your opinion of people changed if they have opinions that agree with yours? Why do you think this is? Is it a good thing?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't necessarily think less of people if there opinions are different to mine, just because they have a different opinion, it doesn't mean their opinion is wrong. If however, that opinion is immoral from my point of view, so for example; racist, sexist, ageist, I would be disappointed in their opinion and that would probably taint my view of them an individual.

I used to work with someone who I got on really well with, when one day she confided in me and told me that her partner was actually married. I was really shocked at this particularly as she had been having an affair with him for 4 years and he had a young child with his wife. This did make me think less of her because I personally think that what she was doing was wrong. I know that this is an actual situation but nevermind, I guess in her head she was of the opinion that it was somehow ok to this and in my head I was thinking I wish you had never told me this!
    hgnian wrote: »
    No. I may think less of someone who's opinion I disagree with, when they refuse to justify/argue it, or consider facts that may refute their beliefs. But then I'd think less of someone I agree with that does those things too. It tend to base my opinion on how someone acts, rather than what they believe, although one often influences the other, which is where the lines can be blurred slightly.
    Of course I don't think less of them. I mean, they are wrong and everything but clearly too stupid to know better ;)
    No - I think more of them if they have an opinion that's different from mine and aren't afraid to argue for it - great chance for some decent debate!! :D
    I had a situation recently, quite silly and unimportant but it shocked me and made me question my understanding of this person.

I was having a discussion with a friend who had been looking at her sons text messages, now this in itself was bad enough (it was to see if he has a girlfriend) and my friend knew what she did was wrong and felt bad enough never to do it again...

The thing is another friend interjected with 'why shouldn't she look at his mobile?' - I explained that kids need a little privacy and trust is incredibly important between a child and his parents... especially when he is a teenager... if there was a situation to be worried about then maybe it would be slightly different, but otherwise I felt he should be left with a little privacy... this friend completely disagreed saying children didn't need privacy and it was a parents perogative etc...

This woman doesn't have kids but neither do I - I was really taken aback by her opinion and thought it was very unfair... however I did think about it for a while and realised that her inexperience of children and possibly her upbringing could have led her to this conclusion and therefore I couldn't judge her on it - I know I don't agree with her and perhaps we should just leave it there...

It is important to remember that somebodies upbringing/influences can directly affect their opinions and therefore perhaps they should not be judged on them...
    It totally depends how they make their arguments.

I'm more than happy to debate something with somebody, but if their only real argument is a "Yeah, but you like a cock up your arse/Jason Donovan/Disney films so what would you know about anything?" in a really condescending tone, that's when I'll really think less of the person. Had enough of that shit in school, so they really go down in my opinion when they come out with that. 99% of the time it's a desperation tactic, make a personal dig that'll make your opponent feel abput two foot tall if you're losing the argument.

It works the other way too though, I can be quite set in my views because I feel really strongly about a few things and I won't listen to other arguments. I do think I'm getting better at debating and taking other people's views on board, but there's always room for improvement.
    Hate me if you want but if I really disagree with someone about something then yes I can hold a pretty bad grudge.

If depends really on what I am disagreeing about, what the opinion differences are. For example, if someone said to me abortion is wrong, it is bad, terrible and anyone who has an abortion is a very bad evil child killer I would go flipping crazy. I cannot see eye-to-eye with this person and although people say well that is their opinion you should respect it I cannoy respect such an opinion which is in such contraversy to mine.

It all depends on the argument and what not but I would generally say that no I wouldn't "think less of them". I like to think that not very much makes me "think less of a person". I might strongly grudge an opinion they hold or I might think that what they think is complete utter shite but I wouldn't think well they are a bad or less of a person because of it.

mmm very complex
    No, of course I don't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I've disagreed with many of my friends about certain issues - e.g. abortion but yanno! When we talk about these issues, they usually turn into arguments but yanno, I get my point across as do they. No biggie.

Everyone has a different opinion on things. Its no reason to think less of them.
    Depends what kind of opinions we're talking about. If it's normal every day stuff like, as you said, food, or a political difference, then no. If on the other hand it's something a bit more... extreme, like they're an Evangelical Christian and think the world was created in 7 days by god a mere few thousand years ago, and that dinousaurs either never existed or existed at the same time as man, then yes; I think less of them.
    Unless they are making our relationship about that specific thing then i wouldnt care. I hate it when people know what you think about something and constantly go on about their opposing view....if you want to be my friend then dont look for an arguement!
    I don't think any less of anyone IF they have a reason for having a different opinion to mine, and if they have engaged a brain cell or two to get to that opinion.

Eg. One of the swimming teachers at work has a 15 year old daughter who is pregnant and is keeping the baby ( and due in the next couple of weeks). Two of my colleagues think that this is the wrong thing to be doing, J has his reasons; because she is too young to look after a child, not mature enough herself, and her body isn't ready and she needs to finish growing up herself first, and it's not fair on the baby to have such a young mother. M only gets as far as she should't have kept the baby because it's wrong for 15 year olds to have kids, it's just wrong.

I disagree with them both, J I respect, M I think even less of than I did before.
    no
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Depends what kind of opinions we're talking about. If it's normal every day stuff like, as you said, food, or a political difference, then no. If on the other hand it's something a bit more... extreme, like they're an Evangelical Christian and think the world was created in 7 days by god a mere few thousand years ago, and that dinousaurs either never existed or existed at the same time as man, then yes; I think less of them.

What Keizo said :)
    No, of course I don't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I've disagreed with many of my friends about certain issues - e.g. abortion but yanno! When we talk about these issues, they usually turn into arguments but yanno, I get my point across as do they. No biggie.

Everyone has a different opinion on things. Its no reason to think less of them.

So you wouldn't think any less of people who subscribed to the ideas of the Nazis, KKK or BNP?
    Mist wrote: »
    Of course I don't think less of them. I mean, they are wrong and everything but clearly too stupid to know better ;)

:yes: Plus, what fun would it be without them?
    hgnian wrote: »

No, unless they're deliberately being obtuse fuckwits, then I'll call them cunts.
    I only really think less of a person or get angry if my opinion is made to feel invalid. For example with friends in the canteen the discussion somehow drifted to the Jamie Bulger case and then SOMEHOW drifted to the death penalty. Personally being against the death penalty I said so. Big mistake. I get asked if Jamie was my kid wouldn't I want to kick my kid's killers in or something equally revolting. I replied no. Oooh the stares I was given. Suddenly I'm the future's worst parent because I won't blow my future kid's killer's brains out. Grrr. Can anyone tell that I am still angry about this?
    It depends on whether they can argue their opinion or not. If they can't, I'll think less of them.
    No. I've noticed alot lately that I diagree with a friend of mine. However, I don't think less of him.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't agree with a lot of what Kermit says, but I have a lot of respect for him and I always take time to read what he posts.

Same with Blagsta and MoK.
    Weekender Offender 
    Depends on what their opinion was about, i mean if it was litterally just a difference in opinion then no i wouldnt think any differently of them. But if their opinion was something like 'the sea is only 2 feet deep' then yes, i'd think they were an idiot.
    I don't think less of them for their opinion, I think less, or more of them for the way they handle it.

If they try and force their opinion on me, they can sod off. I love arguments/debates, but lame arguments repeated over and over just annoy me. Whereas if somebody either has the ability to leave their opinion out of it, or back it up with good arguments without forcing anything, then I'll think more of them.
    icey wrote: »
    But if their opinion was something like 'the sea is only 2 feet deep' then yes, i'd think they were an idiot.

It is in some places.

I'd like to say no to the question, but i know that i think less of people that believe in God. Mainly because i don't and i think it's stupid for them to. But thats just me being silly. If someone had racist views, or something similar then yes i would think less of them.
    Most of my friends always agree with me :)
    Is that a good sign? :naughty:
    LimpFan87 wrote: »
    Most of my friends always agree with me :)
    Is that a good sign? :naughty:

Not if they agree with you on who the top ten hottest girls are.
    Buhahaha, no we discuss some more serious topics as well :thumb:
    Paris Hilton? Go and wash your mouth out. You'd have to after going anywhere near that.
    Let's keep on topic, but Paris is hot :heart: :flirt: :love: :shocking:
    And you know, the less competition - the better for me LOL :naughty:
    i like new york