Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Job Advice stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently the main contact point at work for two jobs which are being advertised - this is nominally because everyone else is out of the office travelling at the moment rather than it being my normal job.

Anyway i have noticed that quite a lot of people have been sending thier applications from their normal hotmail accounts - which is obviously fine - but not if you have stupid hotmail name.

So i'm guessing i'm making this post to pass on to you all my wisdom that if you have a stupid name in your hotmail account (ie sexysarah) - create a new one for your job applications becuase it looks really unprofessional.

Also if a job advert says you need to download and fill in an application form for a job it means just that - if you send your CV in rather than thier application form you just look stupid.

Anyone else got any pearls of wisdom to pass on?

Comments

• Options
    The whole being judged on your email address thing really pisses me off. I could understand if someone's address was fuckmeupthearse'ole@gangbangers.com or something but other than that ....!!! If I lived in a house with a stupid name, then I wouldn't change it just for the purpose of looking good on a job application form would I? I wouldn't give it a number or another name randomly because the postman would then end up delivering my interview letter (which I would have got with my new sensible address) to the wrong fucking house.

Having said all that, I do have two email addresses for just this reason. It still irritates the hell out of me though.

Other advice:
    1) Don't forget to sign your letter
    2) Read the application instructions carefully cos companies like to test you - if they ask for black ink, then write in black ink; if they want you to comment on, I don't know, the issue of pitbulls, then bloomin' well do so. Failure to do anything that they ask you to will suggest you're an incompetent moron that they don't want to employ.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    The whole being judged on your email address thing really pisses me off. I could understand if someone's address was fuckmeupthearse'ole@gangbangers.com or something but other than that ....!!! If I lived in a house with a stupid name, then I wouldn't change it just for the purpose of looking good on a job application form would I? I wouldn't give it a number or another name randomly because the postman would then end up delivering my interview letter (which I would have got with my new sensible address) to the wrong fucking house.

Having said all that, I do have two email addresses for just this reason. It still irritates the hell out of me though.

Other advice:
    1) Don't forget to sign your letter
    2) Read the application instructions carefully cos companies like to test you - if they ask for black ink, then write in black ink; if they want you to comment on, I don't know, the issue of pitbulls, then bloomin' well do so. Failure to do anything that they ask you to will suggest you're an incompetent moron that they don't want to employ.

I know but if your email address is a bit silly then it definately says something about you which might not be appropriate for the job you had applied for.

I also once recived an application form which someone had posted at work (comptete with franking stamp and 1st class written on it) - which also kind of put me off as it looked like she would just abuse the organisation she worked in - am I being really petty?

I'm also probably just grumpy because at the moment i'm getting at least 5 emails aday of people who are sendign me the CV's rather than filling in the application form - grrrrr
  • Options
    I get the whole email address thing but I just think that it's a bit unfair. It's no bother for people to set up a second address though is it so if they don't have the brains to realise that people will judge them on it (however wrong that may be) then it's their own stupid fault and they're probably not right for the job anyway.

Reckon you're being a bit harsh on the dude that posted the application at work. Maybe it shows commitment to the job that they don't have time to post it outside of work.

Any knobhead that sends you a CV doesn't even deserve an acknowledgement of their email. If they can't follow basic instructions then they're probably not the right people for the job anyway.

Hope that things get better. Not long to go now ... assuming that you finish at 5:30 that is.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Typos are a big :no:
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Typos are a big :no:

Oh yeah, and people that cross stuff out on handwritten ones. I once saw one where the person spelt their own name wrong, crossed it out and just carried on.
  • Options
    no i'm still here sob sob

Ohh also did i mention i'm being so bitchy now but the one with the really bad email address which is something like sexy sarha but not also included a picture of herself in trying to look a bit sexy on her CV - this is also a bad idea - especially if your applying for quite a serious job - though pictures on CV's are the norm in many european countries.