Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

So what does everyone like to read

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just a bit interested really. I'm doing an English degree so i have to read all sorts of rubbish. At the moment i'm reading Oscar Wildes Picture Of Dorian Gray for my course and i'm also reading Glen Duncans Death Of An Ordinary man generally.

I must admit i do like modern novels the best, what about anyone else?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Beckett, Pinter, Hemmingway, Joyce, Keats. Good shit, definately no soppy gay romantic books.
    I've read a few of Pinters plays and they were pretty good, still want to get hold of some hemingway....so little time...so little time

I've just gone to effort of listing everything :) There's bloody loads
    1.png
    God help ya. Wilde is a drag, Mc Ewan is all right but nothing special.
    Wilde is just what the doctor ordered after weeks of bronte and dickens :thumb:
    This month I've been on a bit of a Jeffrey Archer spell .... here's this month's list:

Jeffrey Archer: A Matter of Honour
    Jeffrey Archer: A Prison Diary (Hell)
    Jeffrey Archer: A Twist in the Tale
    John Twelve Hawks: The Traveller
    Yvonne Ridely: In the Hands of the Taliban
    Neil Cross: Mr In-between
    Judith Lennox: The Winter House
    Catherine Cookson: The Tinker's Girl
    Paulo Coelho: The Devil and Miss Prym

I'm jobless atm, so enjoy reading, but don't want to waste money on new books - hence the re-reading of old.

I've got another few Archer novels lined up, and perhaps some war stories like The Eagle has Landed, or The Judas Code, or something similar.

I can't stand the "classics" - sure, they're old, but classic to who? Penguin?
    lately ive been rereading (for like the 9th time) my series of books by diana gabaldon (drums of autumn etc)

theyre my favourite books eever! basically about a woman who goes timetravelling, falls in love, goes back etc etc. very good

other than that series im actually quite into period fiction books - liike 'the tea rose' . although god knows who its actually by. i cant remember

aand very soon im going to start reading a few books by RA salvatore. very fantasy but goood!
    Just a bit interested really. I'm doing an English degree so i have to read all sorts of rubbish. At the moment i'm reading Oscar Wildes Picture Of Dorian Gray for my course and i'm also reading Glen Duncans Death Of An Ordinary man generally.

I must admit i do like modern novels the best, what about anyone else?

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favourite books, ever. How are you liking it?

I will take any books going, really, I'm a voracious reader and will give any author/new genre a chance but I can be a bit of a literary snob, too.

I love the Brontes so I can't agree that anything is a relief from them. I always found Dickens a bit difficult to relate to, but could always appreciate (rather than enjoy) him... if that makes sense.
    The idea of a Jeffrey Archer aficionado is a new one on me... I've read one or two of his and I'm not keen to go back for more :lol:
    I usually read Star Wars books, geeky I know but fuck it, Star Wars is the nuts.
    I'm currently reading Star Wars Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines.
    Anything by HArry Turtledover, James Patterson and similar stuff