Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Man Utd fans campaiging against "rip-off" prices

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Story.

I hope today's protest actually achieves something for the club's fans, I really do. I can understand the logic- more people want to see the game so the club charge more, and it would be seen as unfair to let the away fans in for half the price of the home fans- but really I think its a disgrace to penalise the fans of a club that just happens to be a big name.

The whole pricing structure at Premiershit games is ludicrous, anyway. the Big Four can probably justify £30 a ticket (its comparable to a concert or the theatre) but £30 to go and watch Wigan? Please.

I can't wait for the whole Premiershit edifice to come crashing down.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Credit where it's due to the S*n. For once they are campaigning for something just and fair (a cut on Premiership football ticket prices).

Bolton has announced a 10% cut on season tickets for next season (though a cynic could say that might have to do with their half empty stands).

Chelsea would do well to cut their prices too, because it really takes the piss.

Unfortunately for United fans, the ground fills up nicely every week no matter what so there isn't much pressure to lower prices.

Perhaps a total boycott of club merchandise until tickets come down is the way to go for all fans.
  • Options
    The complaint from Man Utd fans isn't the price their own club charge, its the prices all the away clubs charge. Man Utd is probably the biggest earner of the season for the rest of the Premier League, and as such Man Utd fans always have to pay the top-grade prices for their tickets. It's not really very fair.

All football tickets are overpriced. It costs me £20 a go to go and watch Bradford City, who are now in the relegation zone of division three. It's not really much wonder that I don't bother.
  • Options
    Oh I see. Yes, I agree away tickets can be ludicrous. Not funny if your team is the one everyone decides to hike prices up on.

I shall have to mention Chelsea again. I don't know how much different prices are for the various visiting teams, but to be charged £48 is not unheard of at Stamford Bridge.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The whole pricing structure at Premiershit games is ludicrous, anyway. the Big Four can probably justify £30 a ticket (its comparable to a concert or the theatre) but £30 to go and watch Wigan? Please.

It costs about £22 to go and watch Plymouth Argyle. Well, for adults it does and it costs £15 for students.
  • Options
    It costs more in the UK to go and watch a League 2 game than it does to go watch a top division game in germany/italy/spain. Something really has to be done about these stupid prices.

Well done to Blackburn and Bolton both announcing that they are reducing ticket prices next season
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    All football tickets are overpriced. It costs me £20 a go to go and watch Bradford City, who are now in the relegation zone of division three. It's not really much wonder that I don't bother.

Disgraceful when you consider that tickets at Old Trafford start at £23.
  • Options
    film_buff wrote: »

Well done to Blackburn and Bolton both announcing that they are reducing ticket prices next season

When you've got a half empty ground every week, you don't really have much choice, but it is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    I know it was terracing and that there's been inflation but I recall I used to pay £3.60 to watch top-division football back in the early 1980s.

For a big club it is supply and demand. I pay £20 for a decent seat at Barnet although there are cheaper seats available. The ground capacity is fairly small though. Leyton Orient was cheaper when I went earlier this season, and they are a division higher. I think I paid £15 or £16 there.
  • Options
    Terracing made a big difference. My first season ticket with Bradford City in 1996 was £18. The same child's season ticket now is about £180. Inflation hasn't gone up by that much, and whilst we do have financial problems at my club, we now have an average gate of a little over 7,000. Lower prices by a fiver and you'd probably see 13,000 there, and Valley Parade wouldn't have the atmosphere of a morgue.

Manchester United, for all their sins, are one of the cheapest Premier League teams to watch at home, because they have such a huge ground. There should be a flat away rate to prevent the fans of the big clubs always having to pay gold band/grade A ticket prices. Mind, home prices shouldn't be so high either, not with the new TV deal.

What Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn are doing is good to see, but its more borne out of necessity than generosity. Blackburn never fill their stadium except when Man Utd come to town (something to do with the huge away following normally), and its the same at Bolton and Wigan, because people are not prepared to pay £30 to go and watch 90 minutes of kicking people in the air.
  • Options
    Clubs will charge what people are willing to pay. It's the market. Having said that, football is for the fans so they shouldn't be priced out of the market. I know the article's for away games but I pay £30 or so to see Utd play at home and I'm happy to do so.
  • Options
    it is possible to have a standard premiership price for all games?
  • Options
    Why should there be? Teams should be allowed to set their own prices based on how they play, the facilities in the stadium and their own business plans.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »

Why? It doesn't make that much sense that I should play the same amount to see Manchester City and the same price to see Chelsea play. (I'm not a Chelsea fan; just using them as an example)
  • Options
    TBH Man City fans shouldn't be paying much more that Torquay fans...
  • Options
    Is that because you think that both will get relesgated this season?
  • Options

No because it's all down to demand isn't it.

Chelsea v. Man Utd for example will be a lot more expensive that Reading v. Wigan simply because more people want to watch the former.

If you have a fixed supply of tickets (the capacity of the ground) then the more people demand tickets, the price is going to go up. Simple economics. However, I am in favour of an FA review or something regarding season ticket prices which are an absolute scandal for some clubs.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Is that because you think that both will get relesgated this season?

No.

Same standards. ;)

Besides I don't want City to drop. The premier league would be like a dung beetle without the dung...
  • Options
    However, I am in favour of an FA review or something regarding season ticket prices which are an absolute scandal for some clubs.

It's got fuck all to do with the FA. If fans are stupid enough to pay the prices charged then they will continue to be charged stupid prices.

Watch a club jump the minute no fans turn up for a game one week...
  • Options
    No.

Same standards. ;)

Besides I don't want City to drop. The premier league would be like a dung beetle without the dung...

:p
    It's got fuck all to do with the FA. If fans are stupid enough to pay the prices charged then they will continue to be charged stupid prices.

Watch a club jump the minute no fans turn up for a game one week...

:yes:
  • Options
    No because it's all down to demand isn't it.

yeah, but is it possible to have a standard (or even a capped) ticket price?

does anyone have the power to do this?

for the bogstandard cheap end tickets, of course.
  • Options
    does anyone have the power to do this?

No and they shouldn't either. These are all private businesses and so can set their prices according to what they see as the demand. That is the key to getting price changes, don't use the product.