Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

soooo the EU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i personally am happy to be in the EU, however i do think it needs to be streamlined much more and its powers for which overrides national powers to be sorted out

like i read that recently in a very long and complicated EU document there is a thing of keeping everyones fingerprints to be shared across the EU - like i swear we didn't sign up for that sort of control

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you see the independent cover yesterday?

Apparently the Eu has less administration than the BBC! So not sure if it need streamlining at all to be honest
    i personally am happy to be in the EU, however i do think it needs to be streamlined much more and its powers for which overrides national powers to be sorted out

like i read that recently in a very long and complicated EU document there is a thing of keeping everyones fingerprints to be shared across the EU - like i swear we didn't sign up for that sort of control

I swear that I didn`t sign up for ANYTHING.

"We" didn't sign up to the EU at all.
    The EU should be and only be a trade union. There is no reason why we should continue to allow them to continue passing legislation that goes over the head of our Parliament. Something like 70% of all legislation in the country comes from the EU. I don't want Britain to be run from brussels, simple as that.
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    Something like 70% of all legislation in the country comes from the EU.

Did you just plcuk that figure out of thin air of do you have any evidence which would bak it up.

I don't like the EU and it's doesn't help the discussion if you make false allegations like that...

What powers may they be then?

I hate the fact a lot of people make out we're being run by Brussels. It's idiotic, there are only a few aspects where the EU has suprantional power over soveriegn states, mainly concerning the environment and social working policies.
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    I don't want Britain to be run from brussels, simple as that.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

You do know that Britain has a major influence on EU policy decision making? That the UK, it's EU Commission, Parliament members and Prime Minister all have a say what the EU does or does not do? Do you really believe that Belgium and Belgium alone constitutes the whole of the EU?
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What powers may they be then?

I hate the fact a lot of people make out we're being run by Brussels. It's idiotic, there are only a few aspects where the EU has suprantional power over soveriegn states, mainly concerning the environment and social working policies.

if you noticed i wasnt saying it has too many powers id just wish they were more clearly defined
    if you noticed i wasnt saying it has too many powers id just wish they were more clearly defined

Aye it's a bit confusing.

There's 3 pillars of EU governance, one is supranational and other two are inter-governmental. Loada bollocks. ;)
    subsidiarity clearly went to shit. a free trade/comomn market agreement would be alot better.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    a free trade/comomn market agreement would be alot better.

We've made quite a few already.
    There's a good article in today's Guardian about the EU.
    And there is no shared theatre of European politics. Each country has its own drama of national politics: here the Gordon and Tony show, there the Silvio and Romano show. We all, in our separate European languages, watch the melodrama of American politics with rapt attention. We follow with mild interest the operetta of a few major European states: the current French presidential election, for example. But there is no unfolding theatre of European politics, which we all follow together. (The words Brussels and theatre do not naturally combine.) So the European Union at 50 does not merely need a better story to tell. It also needs to work out who, in what language, through what media, will tell it.

And until the above is achieved I think it will be difficult to demystify and democratise the EU and make it seem more direct and applicable to EU citizens.

With many different languages I think it will remain difficult for European politics to be viewed with a similar common understanding by people of all EU member states. Overcoming the language barrier is an important and necessary step. In addition to their mother tongue every child in the EU should really be learning two additional European languages - and this should start in primary school. (This is the case in some European countries already).

Part of Britain's problem with the EU is that our influence is limited because we do not act like a full and functioning member. Take the Euro for instance, it is quite plausible that had we not stayed out, the European Central Bank would be in London.
    We've made quite a few already.

name another common market and i will buy you a lifetimes worth of buckfast.

at least if im wrong thats one politics student dead...

What do you mean by "another" common market?

ETA: Do you mean with other continental institutions worldwide? If so, then I agree.

Part of Britain's problem with the EU is that our influence is limited because we do not act like a full and functioning member. Take the Euro for instance, it is quite plausible that had we not stayed out, the European Central Bank would be in London.

Thats rubbish. The ECB was always going to be German. They were the only ones with the credibility to keep inflation low whatever the costs.

That`s a sentient being you are talking about.......isn`t it ? :chin:
    What do you mean by "another" common market?

ETA:Do you mean with other continental institutions worldwide? If so, then I agree.

Use a search engine and look up what a common market is.
    seeker wrote: »
    That`s a sentient being you are talking about.......isn`t it ? :chin:

that wasnt a serious comment
    Use a search engine and look up what a common market is.

I know what a common market is. You said we need a common market agreement and I'm confused by what you mean by this.
    i didnt say we need one. the UK is already in one. i meant that the UK would be better off, politically, in a common market agreement with the EU, minus the EU membership.
    that wasnt a serious comment

I thought not.

I guess that`s why I laughed.
    Thats rubbish. The ECB was always going to be German. They were the only ones with the credibility to keep inflation low whatever the costs.

Perhaps - but London being a major financial centre it would have made some sense for the ECB to be in London. However, the ECB was always going to have to be within the Eurozone and since Britain was never going to immediately join the Euro nobody would seriously consider London.
    EU is not that great thought...
    Sure it has some advantages, but I think it's loosing strength :chin: