Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ps3

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just went into Blockbusters to rent the new James Bond film, and I saw a poster for the PS3. All I've got to say is £425!!? :eek: Is anyone actually paying that?

Comments

• Options
    Plenty of people are. I am not.
  • Options
    I'm not into consoles and games and stuff. I got a xbox 360 with my last mobile. Bought a shit load of games and i aint played it since xmas!

Loadsa ppl are paying it, i heard the games are like £70-80 aswell.

I couldn't be arsed tho.
  • Options
    the games will be more like £40 I think, £70 is a tad over the top :p

problem is, sony have released the PS3 with too high a spec, too early.

it's too soon for a console this powerful to be sold at anything lower than the price it's at, just because of the tech price. they wont even be making any profit on the machines themselves, just to bring the price down.

but then, they had to release another console, because of the 360 and the wii.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    the games will be more like £40 I think, £70 is a tad over the top :p

problem is, sony have released the PS3 with too high a spec, too early.

it's too soon for a console this powerful to be sold at anything lower than the price it's at, just because of the tech price. they wont even be making any profit on the machines themselves, just to bring the price down.

but then, they had to release another console, because of the 360 and the wii.

Oh right, fair enough just a whisper- a few of the xbox games are £50 tho.
  • Options
    games are £40 on play.com
  • Options
    I'd love to have the money to pay it because it will kick the ass of 360, but I can't afford it. Maybe after the first price drop.
  • Options
    i will probably get one after at least a year. completely depends on my financial situation + i don't play my ps2 *that* much anymore.
  • Options
    The price of the PS3 is actually quite reasonable. Don't forget that it includes a Blu-Ray player, the 360 doesn't have a HD-DVD player. The PS3 is a superior console anyway but this alone more than makes up for the price.

I've bought one.

As for the games, yes, I agree they are a rip off.
  • Options
    i'm sure games for the Mega Drive were just as expensive when they first launched.
  • Options
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    The price of the PS3 is actually quite reasonable. Don't forget that it includes a Blu-Ray player, the 360 doesn't have a HD-DVD player. The PS3 is a superior console anyway but this alone more than makes up for the price.

I've bought one.

As for the games, yes, I agree they are a rip off.
    Yeah but at the end of the day the gameplay of the PS3 is VERY disapointing, I played one, on and off for bout a week a while ago and wasn't impressed for the price, i'd rather stick to my Wii or even 360,

Only game I'd buy a PS3 for would be killzone, and that, not worth it
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    i'm sure games for the Mega Drive were just as expensive when they first launched.

i remember paying nearly £70 for sonic two the day it was released, and that was in the early 90's
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Yeah but at the end of the day the gameplay of the PS3 is VERY disapointing, I played one, on and off for bout a week a while ago and wasn't impressed for the price, i'd rather stick to my Wii or even 360,

You need to give time for good titles to come out. I never judge it based on release games because they are usually crap.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i remember paying nearly £70 for sonic two the day it was released, and that was in the early 90's

really? i didn't think they were that expensive. :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »

God, I hate when people say 'at the end of the day' to try and underline an argument. I was even talking about this last night in that 'things that BUG me' thread in anything goes. :lol:

Anyway, at the end of the day fuck all. There's not a chance I would have bought the PS2 based on the first batch of games. But after a while, once Sony started wooing me with their dazzling titles (much better than anyone else's), my hand was forced.

My hand hasn't been forced yet with PS3, but we'll see in time.
  • Options
    If someone said "Hey I bought a ps3 yesterday"

I would'nt be like "cool can I have a go", I'd be like "shit were did You get that dosh from, fool".
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I probably won't get one unless it has a hugely major price drop (300 euros at most).
    I know it includes a blu-ray player and what, but I don't want a blu-ray player. I want a machine to play games. They should have waited until blu-ray was as common as DVDs are now before putting it in a console.
  • Options
    One of the reasons it is in the console is to make Blu-Ray common. They are pushing it as a "home entertainment system", not just a console. If you add on the HD-DVD addon to the 360's release price, they are comparable.
  • Options
    If someone said "Hey I bought a ps3 yesterday"

I would'nt be like "cool can I have a go", I'd be like "shit were did You get that dosh from, fool".

lies!

I'd say both :p
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    really? i didn't think they were that expensive. :eek: :eek:

yeah, i remember my grandad buyying it for me because he took my older bother on hoilday that year and not me,

i still play with the old megadrive even now and then, you cant beat a good game of f22 interceptor
  • Options
    snes > megadrive :razz:
  • Options
    heh, i still play my mega drive. get games for about £3 of ebay. winner!
  • Options
    Interesting issue will be, as always, the games that only appear on one platform. Testing seems to be showing that the PS3 isn't actually that much more powerful than the 360, and even after an extended period of development people won't achieve any that couldn't be done, to a degree, on the 360.

So it comes down to what only appears on one console - and GTA4 is coming out on both, and Gears of War, etc, are already out on the 360 - so the games will always out.

With the price difference though, the games will need to be unique and very, very popular.
  • Options
    Playstation has a massive following anyway so people will buy it. Whether enough people will buy it remains to be seen, but I think it is doing ok overseas. Also blu-ray is supposed to be doing quite well by itself, though I agree that it is ridiculous to buy this machine as a blu-ray player.

Really I think the key will be this Christmas, when we should have a price drop first unless Sony are really stupid, that would bring it under 400 quid and have people queuing out the doors for them.
  • Options
    When I hear people talking about them now, it's almost as if they have mythical status, haha. Can only be a good thing for Sony.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    With the price difference though, the games will need to be unique and very, very popular.
    Ironically though, there's only one console around at the moment with unique and original games, and it doesn't have Sony or Microsoft on it. I would reckon the Wii is cheaper to develop for too, meaning more profits for the publishers. I can see a lot of third party support for the Wii in the coming years, which has always been Nintendo's downfall.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    God, I hate when people say 'at the end of the day' to try and underline an argument. I was even talking about this last night in that 'things that BUG me' thread in anything goes. :lol:
    You must love post-match interviews on Match of the Day then.
  • Options
    You must love post-match interviews on Match of the Day then.

Never mind the player interviews, the pundits in the studio are just as bad. Jamie Redknapp must say 'at the end of the day' before any statement he makes, but I've already expressed this in that other thread.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jim V wrote: »
    So it comes down to what only appears on one console - and GTA4 is coming out on both, and Gears of War, etc, are already out on the 360 - so the games will always out.

Your missing otu Halo 3, which will with out any doubt be the the most popyalr and best onlive game of the next generation consoles. There's still no game at the momment that can top Halo 2 for console online playability.

I miht buy the PS3 but as with the last geeration I firmly beleive the Microsoft macine will be my favourite console.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I always had an Xbox instead of a PS2 and now I have an Xbox 360 and I won't be getting a PS3. Don't know why but Xbox's are just the thing for me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You Live yet mush?
    Weekender Offender