Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

name changing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need to change my surname, for various reasons, and i did it before, but i lost the certificate and can't get a replacement so i need to do it again. it was a statuary declaration not depol...

but i went to my local magistrates and they said that i needed to have a legaly drawn up document, but i didn't that before. do i actually need to do that, and if so is there anyway of getting it done for free?

or is there another way of getting my name changed?

Comments

• Options
    i thought you had to be 18 to change your surname? I'm pretty sure it all has to be done legally.
  • Options
  • Options
    off topic but my parents had theirs and me and my sisters last name changed..then they got divorced and apprarantly one of them ripped it up. but i mentioned this to my mum and she doesn't remember that happening!
  • Options
    So you changed your name from Smith to Jones (just an example!) and can't find the certificate so you need to change it again?

Do you want to change it from Jones to something else, or keep your new surname the same?

Even without the certificate your legal name change is still legal.

Deed Poll advice
    How to change your name
    How to change your name - advice from CAB
  • Options
    I changed my sons name by statutory deed and it's perfectly legal. His revised name is the name that is associated with his national insurance number (yes he is only 7 but I have it already), his passport, child benefit and tax credits. The solicitor that drew it up for you in the first place should have retained a copy of the deed and they should be able to provide you with as many certified copies as you need.

As far as I know your original birth certificate will never be altered or re-issued with a new name.
  • Options
    yes he is only 7 but I have it already.

My mum had mine since I was born. Must be the line of work you're in... ;);)
  • Options
    i changed mine by deed poll at the solicitors last year. It cost me about £50
  • Options
    As far as I know your original birth certificate will never be altered or re-issued with a new name.

They do if you're adopted. The original birth certificate doesn't count and they re-issue you a new one with your new name. The old you no longer exists legally :yes: But that wasn't v. helpful.

By the sound of it, you just need to get another copy of the original certificate and go from there. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    this is so funny...

i went to the solicitors and he said that he couldn't do it till i was 18 and it could cost me £150 and only a deed poll was recognised by the DVLA and passport agency...tosser!
  • Options
    this is so funny...

i went to the solicitors and he said that he couldn't do it till i was 18 and it could cost me £150 and only a deed poll was recognised by the DVLA and passport agency...tosser!

Eh!?!

But my son's passport is in his revised name. All I had to do was send off his original birth certificate and a copy of the statutory deed (I think for deed poll the details get published in the London Gazette or something?) and it was all done and dusted. Weird.
  • Options
    Eh!?!

But my son's passport is in his revised name. All I had to do was send off his original birth certificate and a copy of the statutory deed (I think for deed poll the details get published in the London Gazette or something?) and it was all done and dusted. Weird.

Would it not be different because you're over 18 than it is for the OP?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Would it not be different because you're over 18 than it is for the OP?:confused:

I was really referring to the fact the solicitor told her DVLA and the passport agency would only accept changes by deed poll. I know the passport agency will accept changes by statutory deed - which is what I had drawn up for my son.

I found this on www.ukdps.co.uk
    To change your own name by Deed Poll in the United Kingdom, you must be at least 16 years of age. If you are under 16 years of age, one of your parents can apply for a Deed Poll on your behalf so long as anyone with parental responsibility consents to your name change.
  • Options
    so, how much has it cost people to get it done by deed poll? Surely £150 is totaly over the top...?
  • Options
    That site above says £34
  • Options
    but it won't let me do it, it says i have to be over 18....
  • Options
    but it won't let me do it, it says i have to be over 18....

Where? The UKDPS says 16.
  • Options
    If the child has attained the age of 16, the deed poll must be executed by a person having parental responsibility for the child and be endorsed with the child's consent signed in both his old and new names and duly witnessed.

The only exception is if the child is female and married.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1994/Uksi_19940604_en_1.htm