Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Solicitor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I rang a solictor yesterday about them representing me whilst buying a house. They are sending me out some forms which should be here tomorrow. I haven't signed anything yet. Anyways, I have just found someone who will do it cheaper, will the solicitor I rang yesterday be able to make me use their service or does it not matter because I haven't signed anything.

Comments

• Options
    I rang a solictor yesterday about them representing me whilst buying a house. They are sending me out some forms which should be here tomorrow. I haven't signed anything yet. Anyways, I have just found someone who will do it cheaper, will the solicitor I rang yesterday be able to make me use their service or does it not matter because I haven't signed anything.

No i doubt it, they would normally charge if the transaction completed or you get a goodway along the purchase. i would just ring them tomorrow and tell them the purchase has fallen through.

If it is a straight forward purchase the following company will do the conveyancing cheap. These central bigger firms tend not to be so good but if it is a simple transaction, its not rocket science (and they are VERY cheap!) - you can get a quote instantly online.
  • Options
  • Options
    oops for got to link
    http://www.legalmove.com/
  • Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't really recommend using a big factory firm to be honest, they tend to employ barely trained paralegals to do the majority of the work and fuck ups are very common. A small local firm in your area is a better bet.

Agreed, but you dont need a great deal of expertise for simple residential house purchases - ie. individual, residential, freehold purchase etc... and they are cheap. I think for a purchase of say 150k it will cost you about £200.

They do have downsides, but benefits also. You will be able to deal with whoever is in the office (barely qualified or not) instead of waiting for the partner to come back from golf or lunch etc !
  • Options
  • Options
    It's not the expertise that's the issue, it's the fact that the employees are paid absolute peanuts - less than Tescos pay. They aren't the most dedicated because they aren't paid enough to care.

Partners don't deal with actual conveyences anyway, so whether they're in the office or not is irrelevant :)

That depends on how big the firm is?! If it is mr and mrs smiths llp, and they dont have employees then of course they will do the conveyancing. Hardly irrelevant.
  • Options
    I wouldn't really recommend using a big factory firm to be honest, they tend to employ barely trained paralegals to do the majority of the work and fuck ups are very common. A small local firm in your area is a better bet.

We use a couple of those through the brokerage at work and some of the complaints we get about them are shocking. Local solictors are always a better idea, you could try asking the estate agent to recommend one, by be aware they might get refferal fees and just promote the one company.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    local solicitors will probably be your best bet, but it doesnt matter how big or small the firm is. It just means they will be able to carry out the searches in a more confident manner due to knowing the area, and carrying out many other transactions again in the same area.
    There is no problem with swapping solicitors, you are entitled to leave any solicitor before the transaction properly commences, and then if you dont like what they are doing, and feel they are breaching the code of practice, you are again entitled to leave during any point.
    Random babble, but there you are :)