Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Talks for Groups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now can anyone else think of any organisations which may be of interest for a group of children to learn about.

So far I have:

Guide Dogs

and that's it hehe

helppp!

Comments

• Options
    Fire Service;
    RSPCA;
    Police;
    Any local community initiatives?? Like city farm, or something else where they get people/kids involved?
  • Options
    justice league :p
  • Options
    do you have a website for your local council? visit the youth page and find out what's going on locally
  • Options
    whats city farm hanhan?
  • Options
    In some cities (especially in v urban areas), there are city farms set up...where kids who live in cities can go and see farm animals, where they might not be able to have access to the countryside otherwise.

Don't know if this is relevant to where you live at all...but thought it might make a nice talk...they could bring photos, tell them all about the animals, etc...would have thought places like that (or something similar) would be happy to come and talk because it's free promotion for them, too.
  • Options
    how old are the kids? Maybe St Johns if they're older? Local dance/drama groups often do performances for groups of kids.
  • Options
    The dentist. Especially if you want to terrify them into brushing their toothy-pegs/stop them eating so many sweets ;) :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    The dentist. Especially if you want to terrify them into brushing their toothy-pegs/stop them eating so many sweets ;) :thumb:

Awww...toothy-pegs!! My Mum used to call them that when I was little...that took me back...:blush:
  • Options
    Hearing dogs for the deaf are a good one!
  • Options
    sounds good HanHan but we are in a very countryside area anyway but will google see if there is anything local.

I have got a number for RSPCA lady now thanks too.
    We have been to the fire and police station already, they were good.
    The dentist seems good, and I have also considered the vets.

The girls are either 5-7 years or 7-10 years.

Any more?
  • Options
    Take it we are talking Rainbows and Brownies here....

We've had a district judge in to talk the some of our sections, that went down really well. Apparently there is some initiative to make the role of judges better understood in the community so he was really pleased to come.

Local clubs to do demos/work shops.

Any of your leaders/parents/helpers/friends been travelling anywhere interesting? I've done a talk/presentation on my time in India for most of our local guides and scouts.

Parents are another good place to look, find out what they do as a job because some of them will have jobs that the rest of the kids have never heard of (or at least have no real understanding of). Ones who work for fire/police/ambulance, soliciters and baristers, mechanics, anyone that works in the theatre.... If they aren't that sure what to talk about then suggest just taking the kids through a typical day (a busy one usually works best).

Pilots/Cabin crew are popular if you can find one, or anyone from the army. Even if you don't have local barracks you may well have a TA.

Hows that for some ideas?